Under Armour vs Nike vs Adidas

AUEngineer2016

As an old fart who loves the AU blue and white uniforms...it seems that the more the suppliers get into competition with each other involving the design features, the worse the outcome. And, the more the focus is on the flashy uniforms....the less focus on the team and players....JMO.

And interesting to me that most of the teams messing around, looking for some attention getting uniforms are using that "flash" to counteract their lack of tradition and brand identity...and I guess like Oregon, they hope the flash becomes their brand identity.....but probably not for most schools until they put some championship seasons back to back.

See a picture or video of Auburn, Penn State or Bama player in a game uniform and you immediately know which team the guy is playing for. Frankly....I like that and hope AU sticks with that philosophy.

I agree, but I also think that Nike is the best in the business at making clean, classic, good looking uniforms, as ironic as it may seem. For example:

Penn State:

psuwhite_display_image.jpg?1267116924

BYU:

25071361.jpg

USC:

usc_uniforms.jpg

Texas:

texas.jpg

Navy:

New-Navy-Football-Uniform-Army-Navy-Game-2.jpg

Michigan State:

2qxno5f.jpg

These classic Florida uniforms

USATSI_2044253-620x570.jpg

Even these Oregon uniforms are pretty simple:

osu.jpg

I could go on, but I think I've made my point. Nike is not only capable of creating classic, simple looking uniforms, they do so on a regular basis, and it makes up most of the work that they do. The outliers are teams like Oregon who use their flashiness to entice recruits.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good pix 2016...you made your point well. All the bird feathers and stuff does nothing IMO...Oregon has some older model uniforms that are pretty good but when they get together with Oregon State in the the Sherbert Bowl, the color control on my TV set goes crazy trying to keep the tint and brightness in sync.

Thus far we have kept Under Armour under control and the've mostly left our uniforms alone....I like that.... and hope it continues.

I see it as recruits see the snazzy uniforms as a positive for the schools who do it and they probably think TRADITION is overrated. I don't think its a deterrent but I think the players like it. I remember, when Notre Dame used an alternate jersey a few yrs ago, seeing some of AUs own players tweeting about how if ND can switch up their jerseys from time to time AU should also be able to. The players like a little bit of variation in there and they are the ones who actually wear the jerseys.

I see it as recruits see the snazzy uniforms as a positive for the schools who do it and they probably think TRADITION is overrated. I don't think its a deterrent but I think the players like it. I remember, when Notre Dame used an alternate jersey a few yrs ago, seeing some of AUs own players tweeting about how if ND can switch up their jerseys from time to time AU should also be able to. The players like a little bit of variation in there and they are the ones who actually wear the jerseys.

True...the players wear the jerseys ...sometimes 3 or 4 years but folks like me and many others have been paying the bill and supporting the team for decades and some/many of us take a different view...and perhaps a more long range view too. I could be wrong but it's hard to see how the uniform dejour concept has made any difference in recruiting... or in success on the football field at any school playing that game.

This.

Good pix 2016...you made your point well. All the bird feathers and stuff does nothing IMO...Oregon has some older model uniforms that are pretty good but when they get together with Oregon State in the the Sherbert Bowl, the color control on my TV set goes crazy trying to keep the tint and brightness in sync.

Thus far we have kept Under Armour under control and the've mostly left our uniforms alone....I like that.... and hope it continues.

Even so, Under Armour has a history of taking classic looking uniforms and making them too busy. At least when Nike does it they look cool to the players and the younger generation. I can't really imagine who looked at this jersey and thought to themselves "Yes. Now that is perfection."

53f3873ba7fd3.image.jpg?resize=760%2C510

Seriously, it's 3 colors: Navy, Gold, and White. This is the jersey that ND should wear.

UNDERARMOUR-FADE-master675-v2.jpg

If you're going to change it, at least make it look appealing for the athletes, and make it CLEAN. No fancy flur de lis patterns, no random helmet striping. Just change up the colors a little bit, make them different. For example,

uounisjpg-546b16b59162c794.jpg

Not my favorite UO look by any stretch of the imagination, but at least it is consistent with the overall Oregon "look". It is undeniably, instantly recognisably Oregon. Take the ND branding off of the 1st picture, and I don't know that I could tell you who the team was.

Even so, Under Armour has a history of taking classic looking uniforms and making them too busy. At least when Nike does it they look cool to the players and the younger generation. I can't really imagine who looked at this jersey and thought to themselves "Yes. Now that is perfection."

53f3873ba7fd3.image.jpg?resize=760%2C510

Seriously, it's 3 colors: Navy, Gold, and White. This is the jersey that ND should wear.

UNDERARMOUR-FADE-master675-v2.jpg

If you're going to change it, at least make it look appealing for the athletes, and make it CLEAN. No fancy flur de lis patterns, no random helmet striping. Just change up the colors a little bit, make them different. For example,

uounisjpg-546b16b59162c794.jpg

Not my favorite UO look by any stretch of the imagination, but at least it is consistent with the overall Oregon "look". It is undeniably, instantly recognisably Oregon. Take the ND branding off of the 1st picture, and I don't know that I could tell you who the team was.

Agree with every post you've made. When UA does it, it just looks like they're trying way too hard. You can see it in the fan gear too. Go to Academy and compare the Nike Alabama shirts with the UA Auburn shirts. Ours are hideous and usually cost about $10 more.

What UA did to the University of Maryland shows what happens when they go crazy trying to bring attention to an otherwise irrelevant program. Check this site to see what happens when UA takes over an athletic department...U of Maryland.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Maryland+football+jerseys&tbm=isch&imgil=TVKFhSJ5kct6ZM%253A%253BBbjmKS-ozSEAGM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.outsidethebeltway.com%25252Fmaryland-football-uniforms-ugly-attract-needed-attention%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=TVKFhSJ5kct6ZM%253A%252CBbjmKS-ozSEAGM%252C_&biw=1280&bih=539&usg=__6Nsz685NuHTPAFeaECDgX2ke0mE%3D&ved=0CD4Qyjc&ei=2LSbVZTGOcHBtQWOwYCICQ#imgrc=J7AgvEh3QD0ORM%3A&usg=__6Nsz685NuHTPAFeaECDgX2ke0mE%3D

They have at least a dozen different uniform combinations...most look like something from minor league hockey IMO. And someone is saying that kids like this? Gotta wonder if they aren't embarrassed to be seen in them.?

They like the option for something new from time to time, IMO. I'm sure there are some alternates the kids like better than others as not all of them are great. It brings a level of excitement for them. Gear is huge these days, as evidenced by the hilarious amount of arm bands and swag the kids wear on game day.

What UA did to the University of Maryland shows what happens when they go crazy trying to bring attention to an otherwise irrelevant program. Check this site to see what happens when UA takes over an athletic department...U of Maryland.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Maryland+football+jerseys&tbm=isch&imgil=TVKFhSJ5kct6ZM%253A%253BBbjmKS-ozSEAGM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.outsidethebeltway.com%25252Fmaryland-football-uniforms-ugly-attract-needed-attention%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=TVKFhSJ5kct6ZM%253A%252CBbjmKS-ozSEAGM%252C_&biw=1280&bih=539&usg=__6Nsz685NuHTPAFeaECDgX2ke0mE%3D&ved=0CD4Qyjc&ei=2LSbVZTGOcHBtQWOwYCICQ#imgrc=J7AgvEh3QD0ORM%3A&usg=__6Nsz685NuHTPAFeaECDgX2ke0mE%3D

They have at least a dozen different uniform combinations...most look like something from minor league hockey IMO. And someone is saying that kids like this? Gotta wonder if they aren't embarrassed to be seen in them.?

For the record, Baltimore is where Under Armour began and the creator I believe is a UM grad. Baltimore being up the road from college park ultimately allowed Under Armour to come in and take over Maryland's athletic department. Look, you may think that recruits don't look at Oregon's uniforms and not want to go to Oregon, but you're wrong. Oregon has been using this tactic for years and recruits love it. Everyone talks about their uniforms being a factor, but no one talks about their facilities. They have the best facilities in the country. Google it.

For the record, Baltimore is where Under Armour began and the creator I believe is a UM grad. Baltimore being up the road from college park ultimately allowed Under Armour to come in and take over Maryland's athletic department. Look, you may think that recruits don't look at Oregon's uniforms and not want to go to Oregon, but you're wrong. Oregon has been using this tactic for years and recruits love it. Everyone talks about their uniforms being a factor, but no one talks about their facilities. They have the best facilities in the country. Google it.

I've heard for years their facilities were the best, but I actually did just Google it for the first time, and it really is insane luxury. It's like the Ritz-Carlton of facilities. That would definitely be appealing. I will say for my tastes it's almost a little too much. Honestly, I wonder of being pampered like that makes them soft? NFL facilities don't even look like that.

Archived