Auburn vs Oregon in Dallas - 2019

McLoofus

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BSPN can you possibly get any more anti-Auburn!

http://espn.go.com/b...-yield-from-cfp

"Now that Oregon and Auburn are scheduled to play for a second time, will Auburn fans please step up to the podium and, without yielding their glittering BCS championship crystal ball, of course, at least admit that -- just maybe --Michael Dyer was down"?

We (AU) win the game whether Dyer was down or not. (Of course he wasn't down) It just would have made the field goal a-little longer, or win in OT etc... I just can't believe they (BSPN) put this garbage in print!!

JJ done good!

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

Been finding a lot for a little while now. Too bad people have a hard time giving credit when it's due.

I will give JJ credit for hiring Muschamp and Pearl, the basketball arena, upgrades to Jordan-Hare, and the new scoreboard. But, in terms of football scheduling, Oregon is the first significant achievement during his tenure, and I don't even think it is debatable.

I guess you're going to throw K State out there, but K State was a lousy program when they were scheduled, so it didn't seem like much of a risk at the time. I like the home and home with Cal, but they were coming off a 1-11 season when we scheduled them, so I don't give JJ much credit for that one either. Louisville is okay, but it doesn't come close to LSU vs Wisconsin, UAT vs Wisconsin, UGA vs Notre Dame, or even Ole Miss vs Boise State in terms of national exposure. A baby step at best. I would grant that Clemson is a significant matchup because of their national stature but having to play them again after so many recent games negates the normal enthusiasm for what may be a match-up between Top 10 teams next season.

Meanwhile, we have been fed a steady diet of Alabama A&M, Samford, Western Carolina, Mercer, Chattanooga, UT-Martin, Jacksonville State, etc. If Auburn wants to be taken seriously nationally, then they have no business scheduling FBS teams. Step 1 toward gaining national respectability is to quit scheduling FBS cupcakes.

If we could quit with these games, then I would be satisfied. But, in addition to the FBS cupcakes, we have also scheduled New Mexico State, Florida Atlantic, San Jose State, and Idaho. These are the dregs of college football and may drop to FBS before long. Regional games against UAB, USA, Troy, Tulane, Memphis, Georgia Southern, Louisiana Tech, Arkanasas State would be fine. All these teams would be competitve, or at least entertaining, but playing the dregs in addition to the FBS cupcakes in the same season is just laziness on JJ's part and makes it look like Auburn is scared of playing anybody outside the SEC or even traveling outside the South in the regular season. I know the series against USC was a tough pill to swallow, but that was more than 10 years ago.

I hope scheduling quality non-conference teams like Oregon becomes a trend. But, I don't expect Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, etc to come to Jordan-Hare any time soon. I think home-and-home series against teams at least on the stature of Cal and Clemson should be the rule, not the exception. I still expect to see the likes of Alabama A&M and Idaho filling out that non-conference home schedule in 2019. I hope JJ proves me wrong.

BSPN can you possibly get any more anti-Auburn!

http://espn.go.com/b...-yield-from-cfp

"Now that Oregon and Auburn are scheduled to play for a second time, will Auburn fans please step up to the podium and, without yielding their glittering BCS championship crystal ball, of course, at least admit that -- just maybe --Michael Dyer was down"?

We (AU) win the game whether Dyer was down or not. (Of course he wasn't down) It just would have made the field goal a-little longer, or win in OT etc... I just can't believe they (BSPN) put this garbage in print!!

I will give BSPN the benefit of the doubt. ESPN is already trying to promote the game based off of that one play so we might as well get used to it.

I have my own bone to pick with JJ regarding his decisions that undermined Auburn's swimming dynasty, so I'm no apologist for him. But in football scheduling, it takes two. Other teams have to want to play Auburn or the deal doesn't get made. I'm not inside that room when the calls are made, but I do think JJ has been trying to sign on some Big 5 opponents -- especially now that the SEC requires it. As to how good he is at negotiating deals, I don't know. So far, Oregon is the first "bingo" contract. I'm hoping to see more. 2018 is still vacant.

I'm pretty sure ESPN had something to do with setting up this rematch. It will be big bucks for TV. But I'm not complaining. I'm really glad to see Oregon and then two Cal games lined up. At least it will shut up those whiners from the PAC12 claiming Auburn won't play them.

Where you at a4e? This is a great opponent and opportunity. Let's give jay credit for this and there is still a long way to go before 2018 so this gives me confidence that AUburn will have a marquee opponent then.

JJ done good!

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

Been finding a lot for a little while now. Too bad people have a hard time giving credit when it's due.

I will give JJ credit for hiring Muschamp and Pearl, the basketball arena, upgrades to Jordan-Hare, and the new scoreboard. But, in terms of football scheduling, Oregon is the first significant achievement during his tenure, and I don't even think it is debatable.

Well, that's your opinion. Many will agree, many will not. Count me in the NOT category as you produced the counter to it below.

I guess you're going to throw K State out there, but K State was a lousy program when they were scheduled, so it didn't seem like much of a risk at the time. I like the home and home with Cal, but they were coming off a 1-11 season when we scheduled them, ( That has absolutely ZERO bearing on says nothing about where they will be when Auburn does play them. ) so I don't give JJ much credit for that one either. Louisville is okay, but it doesn't come close to LSU vs Wisconsin, UAT vs Wisconsin, UGA vs Notre Dame, or even Ole Miss vs Boise State in terms of national exposure. Vehemently disagree. Many could argue that Louisville is a better program now than Notre Dame or Boise State. If you think Boise State is a national power in terms of exposure, you haven't been watching much football lately. A baby step at best. I would grant that Clemson is a significant matchup because of their national stature but having to play them again after so many recent games negates the normal enthusiasm for what may be a match-up between Top 10 teams next season.

Meanwhile, we have been fed a steady diet of Alabama A&M, Samford, Western Carolina, Mercer, Chattanooga, UT-Martin, Jacksonville State, etc. If Auburn wants to be taken seriously nationally, then they have no business scheduling FBS teams. Step 1 toward gaining national respectability is to quit scheduling FBS cupcakes. Well, those are FCS schools not FBS schools.

If we could quit with these games, then I would be satisfied. But, in addition to the FBS (FCS) cupcakes, we have also scheduled New Mexico State, Florida Atlantic, San Jose State, and Idaho. These are the dregs of college football and may drop to FBS (FCS) before long. Regional games against UAB, USA, Troy, Tulane, Memphis, Georgia Southern, Louisiana Tech, Arkanasas State would be fine. All these teams would be competitve, or at least entertaining, but playing the dregs in addition to the FBS (FCS) cupcakes in the same season is just laziness on JJ's part and makes it look like Auburn is scared of playing anybody outside the SEC or even traveling outside the South in the regular season. That's complete garbage. I guess you didn't read the article that was written about a month ago about Auburn scheduling, or perhaps since it didn't fit your "bash Jacobs" mantra, you chose to ignore it. Amazing how people constantly bash Jacobs over this without even for one microsecond recognizing the fact that it takes TWO teams to get a game. Jacobs was quoted in the article saying he is and will talk to anybody that is interested. I guess it's easier to just bash Jacobs than to actually consider the fact that other teams told us NO. I know the series against USC was a tough pill to swallow, but that was more than 10 years ago.

I hope scheduling quality non-conference teams like Oregon becomes a trend. But, I don't expect Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, etc to come to Jordan-Hare any time soon. Because every one of those teams told us NO to a home and home, not because Jacobs didn't contact them or because we are scared to play on the road. I think home-and-home series against teams at least on the stature of Cal and Clemson should be the rule, not the exception. Well, the SEC passed a rule that goes into effect next year that every team from the conference must schedule at least one game against an opponent from the power 5 conferences. We've already been doing that for years, in spite of the fact that it doesn't become a "requirement" until next season. I still expect to see the likes of Alabama A&M and Idaho filling out that non-conference home schedule in 2019. Of course you will, just like you will see those teams on schedules of teams like uat, florida, georgia, Tennessee, etc. as well. Most every school in the SEC plays games against those opponents at one point or another. I hope JJ proves me wrong.

Too bad it's not home and home, I just moved to Portland!

War eagle to a high profile match up.!!!

Will probably be best OOC game in Auburn history. I assume Malzahn will still be here and I pray to God he's won a championship by 2019. I also assume Oregon will be title less and Kelly will be back after failing at Philly.

I think Auburn - Lousiville is every bit as attractive as Ole Miss - Boise St. Comments to post above.

probably because of the irrelevancy of UL nationally before Strong and the fact that BSU is like one of the top 5 programs since Petersen came in

I think Auburn - Lousiville is every bit as attractive as Ole Miss - Boise St. Comments to post above.

probably because of the irrelevancy of UL nationally before Strong and the fact that BSU is like one of the top 5 programs since Petersen came in

UL was pretty relevant nationally in Petrino's first stint (pre-Strong) as well. Heck, before Petrino John L. Smith took Louisville to five straight bowl games and two consecutive conference championships before leaving for Michigan State. The few years of Steve Kragthorpe between Petrino's first stint and Strong was...well...there's you're national irrelevance right there.

I don't know which team will officially be considered the Home Team but as well as Auburn travels and as many Auburn Window and Bumper stickers I see up here in North Texas I know who will have the home crowd advantage.

We might outnumber Oregon 2 or 3 to 1.

War Eagle.

I don't know which team will officially be considered the Home Team but as well as Auburn travels and as many Auburn Window and Bumper stickers I see up here in North Texas I know who will have the home crowd advantage.

War Eagle.

Good point.

Glendale is closer to Eugene than Dallas is. And that was the national championship.

War Eagle.

Good point.

Glendale is closer to Eugene than Dallas is. And that was the national championship.

Don't think you will find an Pac12 fanbase that is anywhere as near fanatical AU or most other top SEC teams.

That far out, Oregon may not be as good. I'm interested to see if they keep up success without Kelly.

Why wouldn't they? Before Kelly's tenure, Oregon's program has been steadily on the rise since the mid 90s. In my opinion, they've solidified themselves as a power in the West, and are probably here for the long haul; especially with Uncle Phil's support. This will be a great game, and a huge draw.

Will probably be best OOC game in Auburn history.

Nah.

Home and home with Nebraska in '81 and '82

Home and home with Texas in '83 and '84

Home and home with Florida State in '83 and '84

Those were games against some freaking power houses. Not teams with a lot of costumes.

The Nebraska pair set the tone for the Dye era; If you want to be the best.....

In terms of greatest, that 42-42 win in Tallahassee against FSU is the gold standard.

In those days the SEC was a slightly tamer animal.

War Eagle.

Good point.

Don't think you will find an Pac12 fanbase that is anywhere as near fanatical AU or most other top SEC teams.

USC

Nah.

Those were games against some freaking power houses. Not teams with a lot of costumes.

In terms of greatest, that 42-42 win in Tallahassee against FSU is the gold standard.

Oregon as a program is probably better right now than those 3 were at the time. Use the costumes as a detriment but they made the first CFP championship, couple of BCS bowls, and was a field goal away from a BCS championship

They could just as easily be the second most dominant team of the past 5 years instead of otherwise

Nah.

Oregon as a program is probably better right now than those 3 were at the time. Use the costumes as a detriment but they made the first CFP championship, couple of BCS bowls, and was a field goal away from a BCS championship

They could just as easily be the second most dominant team of the past 5 years instead of otherwise

That's a brilliant sentence fragment, DTR. It could just as easily be the second most dominant sentence of the past 5 posts instead of otherwise, if only you'd put a period on it.

Nah.

That's a brilliant sentence fragment, DTR. It could just as easily be the second most dominant sentence of the past 5 posts instead of otherwise, if only you'd put a period on it.

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

USC fans, rabid like Hillary supporters...

Nah.

Let's correct grammar and punctuation as if it makes the point moot, that'll certainly hide the fact that I don't have an actual counterpoint, right?

Nah.

Let's correct grammar and punctuation as if it makes the point moot, that'll certainly hide the fact that I don't have an actual counterpoint, right?

Well, it was intended as a joke, not as a refutation. Also, I didn't correct your grammar; I just teased you about it. Here are my actual thoughts on the topic.

Nebraska and Texas were great teams at the time, fully on par with Oregon, if not better. I think you also have to take into account history (i.e., that these are two of the best football programs of all time), plus the fact that these were home and home series. Edge goes to Nebraska and Texas over Oregon.

FSU of the late 80s and early 90s was at least as good, if not better than, Oregon. They were not 'elite' when we played them in the early 80s. They're more like Oregon, though, than they're like Nebraska and Texas. Of course, FSU has since won multiple nattys; and we did have a home and home series with them. I'd rank FSU as one of our better OOC opponents.

The 2002-03 home and home series with USC also needs to be on the list of best OOC opponents.

The game with Oregon will be at a 'hot' neutral site and get us a lot of national exposure. I think it's a great move by JJ. I'm excited about it. It's up there near or in the top 5 of OOC opponents.

Archived