2018 Power 5 Opponent

AUTUmike

With the announcement that Auburn will open the 2019 season against Oregon, that leaves 2018 as the only remaining slot that will realistically be filled with a top-notch OOC game. The following schools are the only options left for that slot. This list takes into account current scheduling vacancies, as well as scheduling tendencies (like the fact that schools like Louisville and South Carolina often play their in-state OOC rival, as well as another FBS opponent). With that in mind, here are the options for what is most likely going to be another neutral-site game:

Boston College, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Virginia, Kansas, Texas Tech, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Wisconsin, and Stanford

IMO, Kansas and Purdue are the only schools on this list that might consider traveling to play @Auburn without getting a return trip. Otherwise, I see all of these other options as neutral-site games. Given that we have games with Oregon and Cal on the books, that may make Stanford less likely. I also don't think there is anything particularly attractive about a neutral-site game with Boston College, Illinois, or Virginia (though they could occur in Atlanta as the Chic-fil-a game). With all that being said--and much speculation--I'm going to guess we end up with either Georgia Tech or a solid Big 10 school like Wisconsin or one of the Michigan schools.

It would be great to see AU vs UM. Especially with this Gus/Harbaugh thing going on

It would be great to see AU vs UM. Especially with this Gus/Harbaugh thing going on

THIS!!!

Gets my vote, too. We're voting, right?

And a rematch of the 1984 Sugar Bowl, won by our (rightful 1983 national champs) AU Tigers, 9-7. I'd love to see our Tigers take on the Wolverines again.

With the announcement that Auburn will open the 2019 season against Oregon, that leaves 2018 as the only remaining slot that will realistically be filled with a top-notch OOC game. The following schools are the only options left for that slot. This list takes into account current scheduling vacancies, as well as scheduling tendencies (like the fact that schools like Louisville and South Carolina often play their in-state OOC rival, as well as another FBS opponent). With that in mind, here are the options for what is most likely going to be another neutral-site game:

Boston College, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Virginia, Kansas, Texas Tech, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Wisconsin, and Stanford

IMO, Kansas and Purdue are the only schools on this list that might consider traveling to play @Auburn without getting a return trip. Otherwise, I see all of these other options as neutral-site games. Given that we have games with Oregon and Cal on the books, that may make Stanford less likely. I also don't think there is anything particularly attractive about a neutral-site game with Boston College, Illinois, or Virginia (though they could occur in Atlanta as the Chic-fil-a game). With all that being said--and much speculation--I'm going to guess we end up with either Georgia Tech or a solid Big 10 school like Wisconsin or one of the Michigan schools.

Would love for it to be Michigan.

I'm freaking tired of getting beat by, ahemm, playing 'Sconsin. But that being said...Its probably going to be GaTech. Keeping the rivalry alive!

Wasn't there a poll going around somewhere....

Would love for it to be a team that adds SOS that we haven't played in my lifetime. (30 yrs) That likely means Texas Tech, Michigan State, Iowa, or Stanford.

Would love for it to be Michigan.

I'm freaking tired of getting beat by, ahemm, playing 'Sconsin. But that being said...Its probably going to be GaTech. Keeping the rivalry alive!

Wasn't there a poll going around somewhere....

no that thread was deleted

Doesn't add a whole lot but would like to play against Tubbs and Cincy

Doesn't add a whole lot but would like to play against Tubbs and Cincy

might as well save it for his last season like Sullivan (which I imagine 2018 would be his last season or one of his last)

Iowa, Purdue, Illinois, Kansas, Boston College and Texas Tech would not be very interesting, since those are not strong programs, and I think they'd prefer to avoid a beatdown by Auburn.

I'm not fond of Wisconsin, but they'd make a game of it. Michigan and Michigan State would be attractive, but I think they are unlikely to want to play Auburn. Wisconsin may not want another SEC game after playing Bama this year and LSU next year.

Georgia Tech almost beat FSU last year and did beat UGA, and they are expected to be competitive again this year. I know a lot of Auburn folks have a long time hatred of the GITs, but I'd be okay with that matchup. Thing is, I'm not sure they'd want to play Auburn. They already have 1 mandatory SEC game each year vs UGA.

So, I suspect it will be one of the weak sisters, although I'd much rather it was a stronger program.

apparently we have tried with Michigan and they refuse anything other than play at Michigan with no return trip. Personally, I like the idea of playing Michigan State. If not them then I suppose Wisky or GT are next on my list in no specific order.

From that list, I think I'd prefer Michigan State. What are the possibilities of a school buying (or otherwise negotiating) their way out of a lower tier opponent in favor of playing us? Just a thought....

A game against Illinois would be colorful. Their colors are also Orange and Blue.

It's unfortunate that Illinois had to "retire" their mascot, Chief Illiniwek, as they were forced to by the NCAA's political correctness initiative. It would have been cool to see the chief, with his amazing long headdress of feathers, and Auburn's eagle on the same field.

I'd rather play Michigan or Michigan State or Georgia Tech, but if Auburn must play a team that is currently on the down side (Zook did them no favors), Illinois might be a good choice. They have a great tradition. Even today, people know the names Dick Butkus, Jim Grabowski, Red Grange, Ray Nitschke, and they currently have 18 former players active in the NFL.

One reason why I don't think it will be Georgia Tech is because with only a one-year window, we're most likely looking at a neutral site game. I don't think Auburn would or should agree to play Tech at the Georgia Dome as a "neutral site," and it just doesn't seem to make sense for two schools so close to play a game in a place like Dallas or New Orleans. For those reasons, I'm thinking it will be one of the Big 10 opponents listed as a possibility.

Jay Jacobs need to make that Michigan game happen! After listening to Harbaugh on the Colin Cowherd show, I can't stand that guy.

For 2018, How about Cincinnati or Iowa State.

I like it! We could call it the "Payroll Bowl"! Or "Buyout Bowl", can't decide.

Iowa State and Cincinnati are not members of a Power5 conference. So they would not meet the SEC requirement to play at least one OOC team from a Power5 conference each year. The only teams that are not in a Power5 conference that are recognized as equal to Power5 conference members, thus qualifying, would be Notre Dame and BYU.

That said, I wouldn't mind playing Cincinnati.

Archived