2018 Power 5 Opponent

AUTUmike

Iowa State and Cincinnati are not members of a Power5 conference. So they would not meet the SEC requirement to play at least one OOC team from a Power5 conference each year. The only teams that are not in a Power5 conference that are recognized as equal to Power5 conference members, thus qualifying, would be Notre Dame and BYU.

That said, I wouldn't mind playing Cincinnati.

Iowa State is in the Big 12. The Big 12 is a power 5 conference. So, yes Iowa state would meet the requirement

Iowa State and Cincinnati are not members of a Power5 conference. So they would not meet the SEC requirement to play at least one OOC team from a Power5 conference each year. The only teams that are not in a Power5 conference that are recognized as equal to Power5 conference members, thus qualifying, would be Notre Dame and BYU.

That said, I wouldn't mind playing Cincinnati.

Iowa State is Big 12.

....This list takes into account current scheduling vacancies, as well as scheduling tendencies (like the fact that schools like Louisville and South Carolina often play their in-state OOC rival, as well as another FBS opponent). With that in mind, here are the options for what is most likely going to be another neutral-site game:

Boston College, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Virginia, Kansas, Texas Tech, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Wisconsin, and Stanford

IMO, Kansas and Purdue are the only schools on this list that might consider traveling to play @Auburn without getting a return trip. Otherwise, I see all of these other options as neutral-site games. Given that we have games with Oregon and Cal on the books, that may make Stanford less likely. I also don't think there is anything particularly attractive about a neutral-site game with Boston College, Illinois, or Virginia (though they could occur in Atlanta as the Chic-fil-a game). With all that being said--and much speculation--I'm going to guess we end up with either Georgia Tech or a solid Big 10 school like Wisconsin or one of the Michigan schools.

I have been a little homework here and there on nonconference availability for future Auburn opponents but usually tarry away to something else. So thanks for comprising this list.

My choices would either be TTU or Sparty.

We did win the national championship by beating Michigan 9-7 on Jan. 2, 1984.

Yup! And I was there. Very top row of the very top level of the endzone seats. (My then wife bought tickets from a scalper who told her they were close to the fifty and she didn't check. Still had a great time.)

Me and my family was high up in the same endzone when Al nailed it. It's hard to believe that game was over 30 years ago.

Though I know some of These teams are not from the power5conference, but I'd like to see Auburn play Army, Navy, Air Force, Memphis, South Florida, UCLA, Georgia Tech, FSU, Penn State, Cincinnati, Iowa and Iowa State.

Archived