Christian Westerman - ASU

RunInRed

Any one remember this guy?

VIDEO: ASU's strongest man crushes 315-pound bench press 20 timesComing out of high school, Christian Westerman was rated as a "five-star" recruit. One of the most coveted high school football prospects in Arizona history, Westerman signed with Auburn before transferring closer to home two years later to ASU.Now, Westerman is getting a different label -- Freak. The 6-foot-4, 301-pound guard, who earned All-Pac-12 honorable mention last season for the Sun Devils, is arguably the strongest man in college football.
Want proof? Check out the video at the top of the 22-year-old Westerman knocking out 20 reps on the bench with 315 pounds earlier this week. Last summer, Westerman benched pressed 225 pounds a team-best 41 times.
I'll have a lot more when we run the 2015 "Freaks" list on FOXSports.com later this summer.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/arizona-state-sun-devils-christian-westerman-315-pound-bench-press-063015

Need to introduce him to Braden Smith...

Wish Westerman had stuck it out here but I'm happy that he has done well at ASU. He seems to be a good guy but guess he was too far from home...and too many quality players in front of him.....that kind of thing happens.

I'm glad the kid made the decision early which was good for him and allowed auburn to plan.

Wasn't he known for his tandem bench press ... Which was the first time I had ever heard of such a thing

I still hate it he left. Don't know if he would be starting or not but you have to believe he would at least have a few of our current projected starters looking over their shoulder.

Maybe it is easier to bench with short arms....

There's no doubt about it

Did not work for Reese Dismukes however.... :dunno:

Didn't he or his father cite the "thuggish" culture at AU for being a main reason he left?

Didn't he or his father cite the "thuggish" culture at AU for being a main reason he left?

never heard that

NO !

NO !

Westernans father back then:

“The team obviously struggled a lot being 3-9 and 0-8 in the SEC,” Westerman described. “They fired the coaching staff, they may have NCAA sanctions coming, and had a lot of turmoil in the program with kids getting into trouble. Christian told me that he just didn’t like the vibe and almost lost his passion to play football. He just had enough. I asked him what would get his passion back and he said that he just needed to get out of here. He said he missed his hometown and the people he knows. After the coaching staff was fired that really solidified his decision to leave.

“And what we saw on the other side at ASU was Todd Graham coming in and really taking the program back, breed in some discipline. My son talked to former Hamilton players like Jaxon Hood and Anthony Jones, he’s good friends with Mo Latu…so he knows what was going on here with Graham. We just saw a complete turnaround and respect what Todd has going there. I like everything that he’s about which is hard work and accountability, stuff that Christian is used to. Graham isn’t allowing the players to act like thugs and just demanding a lot more respect, wanting the kids to be leaders on and off the field. That was a big draw and really a no brainer for us.”

So that could be seen as calling AU "thugs" by some u could say, and many in the thread called it a low shot and uncalled for.

This was WDE's take on the matter, old school: "His dad is saying this as justification for his son transfering. Also wishful thinking. Christian did not have a good work ethic and wouldn't/couldn't pickup the offensive schemes. He played very soft and was beat by our DL, which was not very good, on 98% of his plays in practice. This coupled with the AU staff not pushing him harder and here is what you get."

Actually found it on a thread here when Google searching. Found another funny tidbit when Westerman commited to us on a Texas board: Did AU buy Westerman away from us? To the response of, if any player goes to AU for free they're a fool. Lol

NO !

"The team obviously struggled a lot being 3-9 and 0-8 in the SEC," Westerman described. "They fired the coaching staff, they may have NCAA sanctions coming, and had a lot of turmoil in the program with kids getting into trouble. Christian told me that he just didn't like the vibe and almost lost his passion to play football. He just had enough. I asked him what would get his passion back and he said that he just needed to get out of here. He said he missed his hometown and the people he knows. After the coaching staff was fired that really solidified his decision to leave.

"And what we saw on the other side at ASU was Todd Graham coming in and really taking the program back, breed in some discipline. My son talked to former Hamilton players like Jaxon Hood and Anthony Jones, he's good friends with Mo Latu…so he knows what was going on here with Graham. We just saw a complete turnaround and respect what Todd has going there. I like everything that he's about which is hard work and accountability, stuff that Christian is used to. Graham isn't allowing the players to act like thugs and just demanding a lot more respect, wanting the kids to be leaders on and off the field. That was a big draw and really a no brainer for us."

So that could be seen as calling AU "thugs" by some u could say, and many in the thread called it a low shot and uncalled for.

This was WDE's take on the matter, old school: "His dad is saying this as justification for his son transfering. Also wishful thinking. Christian did not have a good work ethic and wouldn't/couldn't pickup the offensive schemes. He played very soft and was beat by our DL, which was not very good, on 98% of his plays in practice. This coupled with the AU staff not pushing him harder and here is what you get."

Actually found it on a thread here when Google searching. Found another funny tidbit when Westerman commited to us on a Texas board: Did AU buy Westerman away from us? To the response of, if any player goes to AU for free they're a fool. Lol

Thanks for the clarification. This was around the time when there were quite a bit behavioral issues on the team so maybe my memory was incorrect in using the word "thuggish" but looks like that did play a bit of a part -- at least in terms of what they said to the media.

NO !

"The team obviously struggled a lot being 3-9 and 0-8 in the SEC," Westerman described. "They fired the coaching staff, they may have NCAA sanctions coming, and had a lot of turmoil in the program with kids getting into trouble. Christian told me that he just didn't like the vibe and almost lost his passion to play football. He just had enough. I asked him what would get his passion back and he said that he just needed to get out of here. He said he missed his hometown and the people he knows. After the coaching staff was fired that really solidified his decision to leave.

"And what we saw on the other side at ASU was Todd Graham coming in and really taking the program back, breed in some discipline. My son talked to former Hamilton players like Jaxon Hood and Anthony Jones, he's good friends with Mo Latu…so he knows what was going on here with Graham. We just saw a complete turnaround and respect what Todd has going there. I like everything that he's about which is hard work and accountability, stuff that Christian is used to. Graham isn't allowing the players to act like thugs and just demanding a lot more respect, wanting the kids to be leaders on and off the field. That was a big draw and really a no brainer for us."

Thanks for the clarification. This was around the time when there were quite a bit behavioral issues on the team so maybe my memory was incorrect in using the word "thuggish" but looks like that did play a bit of a part -- at least in terms of what they said to the media.

Well the statement "graham isn't allowing his players to act like thugs and demands more respect" was seen by many as a shot at AU, whether someone thinks that is calling AU thugs or thuggish is just a matter of personal opinion

NO !

Well the statement "graham isn't allowing his players to act like thugs and demands more respect" was seen by many as a shot at AU, whether someone thinks that is calling AU thugs or thuggish is just a matter of personal opinion

Thats fair. In my personal opinion I don't know how that couldn't be considered a shot at AU, or at least the old AU staff, since he was leaving the program and part of the reason bc was ASU doesn't allow that type of behavior. Which, from how I read it, seems like there wasn't a lot of effort in hiding that it was a shot at the old AU staff.

I didn't like it, and we've had stuff to say about other guys for much less. That's not classy at all if you're going to leave just leave. Drama queen.

Archived