2015 Punter

JFDTiger80

Any talk on how our punters are looking. I know we all want to see a marked improvement here. The Roster thread shows Phillips as the starter, he is a preferred walk-on I think from a Mississippi JC.

Second team it says Ian Shannon, a true freshman on scholarship from Marietta HS in Atlanta.

I watched film on both. I think this race may go to opening game week. They both look good, with Shannon maybe having more power but Phillips has a good ability to pin people inside the 20. I hope we go with the guy that can potentially flip the field for us. That almost never happened in 2014 and it hurt us.

What happened to our Australian?

Transferred to Mercer. Was really hoping he would pan out. Guy was a good athlete

What happened to our Australian?

Transferred to Mercer. Was really hoping he would pan out. Guy was a good athlete

Wasn't he a walk-on? Might have gotten a little help at Mercer or something?

I think Phillips will get the nod because he has a spring here at Auburn and much more experience albeit JC. If things don't work out with Phillips I can see taking the redshirt off Shannon at some point.

I don't think Ian Shannon is coming to redshirt. JMO.

No player, at any position, comes to redshirt. Remember the "we didn't sign this or that JUCO player to ride the bench"? Some 50% of them did ride the bench.

No player, at any position, comes to redshirt. Remember the "we didn't sign this or that JUCO player to ride the bench"? Some 50% of them did ride the bench.

Lemmy rephrase, I don't think the coaches are bringing Ian to redshirt. I.e, I think he's gonna be our punter.

Of course Shannon didn't come to redshirt and he wasn't signed to redshirt, but if he doesn't win the job in fall camp that's what will happen. Unless Phillips loses the job at some point. A preferred walkon will have a shorter leash than a scholarship player.

Lemmy rephrase, I don't think the coaches are bringing Ian to redshirt. I.e, I think he's gonna be our punter.

Of course Shannon didn't come to redshirt and he wasn't signed to redshirt, but if he doesn't win the job in fall camp that's what will happen. Unless Phillips loses the job at some point. A preferred walkon will have a shorter leash than a scholarship player.

It's ok, NoALtiger. I get what you're saying. Thanks for actually making a somewhat risky claim. Hope Shannon pans out.

Archived