2013 IB is the most legendary game I think I'll ever ever see

There are a lot of great games mentioned here (I keep waiting for Golf to start reminiscing about the 1913 nail biter with Vandy... :tease:), but honestly, I believe the 2013 Iron Bowl is indeed a cut above the rest...just not for the reason everyone thinks. Yes, the Kick Six was insane in and of itself, and no, an NCAA Division I game has never ended with a field goal return for a touchdown, but to me, that alone doesn't even touch the 89 Iron Bowl, and I can think of a handful of games that meant at least as much to the AU Family from a historical perspective. The Interception Game in 94. Nix to Sanders in the Swamp that same year. The aforementioned Punt Bama Punt and Bo Over the Top. The Camback and BCSNCG in 2010.

But no, what sets the 2013 iteration of the Iron Bowl apart from all the rest is what happened after the Kick Six.

Because of the "Immaculate Deflection" bringing such an emotional outburst two weeks prior, Jordan-Hare was buzzing something special even for it being a top 5 matchup in the Iron Bowl. And of course, marching down the field like a hot knife through butter to tie the game prior to Bama's final drive had the place set to pop...it just wasn't supposed to happen until overtime. Then, Chris "OMG!" Davis hit the edge perfectly, sprinted into the end zone, and the entire stadium of people spontaneously descended onto the field. Old school Auburn men and women have unanimously told me they'd never seen anything like it on the Plains, and I know full well I haven't seen it in my 31 years.

To me, THAT is what solidifies exactly how legendary the game was. 20 years from now, they'll still be playing that one back on highlight reels, the way they still show Flutie's "Miracle in Miami" and the Cal-Stanford band play. They'll probably even have a quick highlight of the next to last play and Little Nicky arguing for that second to be put back on the clock, if only to play up the "Got a Second?" slogan and stir the pot.

But a lightening in the bottle play like that, even if it was the second one in as many rivalry games, is just that: lightening in a bottle. That kind of thing happens, and while the circumstances of winner take all for the SEC West and a shot at the BCSNC make it legendary on a different scale than most of those I mentioned at the start, that scale is at a national level.

To Auburn men and women, however, having the crowd suddenly spill out onto the field afterward, the likes of which have never been seen at Jordan-Hare, is ours. And that's how legends bloom.

Are you trying to write a book again red? j/k j/k

How many times did you have to get up and pee before you were done reading? :tease:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that's what is so striking to me about the UGA and IB finishes in '13- they both happened at home. Whatever the infinitesimal chances of both of those things happening against our 2 biggest rivals are, divide them by half to arrive at our chances of them happening at JH.

you also have to factor in the fact that at least considering pre-season, both those teams were supposed to be superior and the fact that Auburn left a pretty big chunk of points on the table in both games. I don't think you'll ever have an inferior team (again preseason) not play to their fullest and still find ways to win like that two weeks consecutively ever again.

There are a lot of great games mentioned here (I keep waiting for Golf to start reminiscing about the 1913 nail biter with Vandy... :tease:/>), but honestly, I believe the 2013 Iron Bowl is indeed a cut above the rest...just not for the reason everyone thinks. Yes, the Kick Six was insane in and of itself, and no, an NCAA Division I game has never ended with a field goal return for a touchdown, but to me, that alone doesn't even touch the 89 Iron Bowl, and I can think of a handful of games that meant at least as much to the AU Family from a historical perspective. The Interception Game in 94. Nix to Sanders in the Swamp that same year. The aforementioned Punt Bama Punt and Bo Over the Top. The Camback and BCSNCG in 2010.

But no, what sets the 2013 iteration of the Iron Bowl apart from all the rest is what happened after the Kick Six.

Because of the "Immaculate Deflection" bringing such an emotional outburst two weeks prior, Jordan-Hare was buzzing something special even for it being a top 5 matchup in the Iron Bowl. And of course, marching down the field like a hot knife through butter to tie the game prior to Bama's final drive had the place set to pop...it just wasn't supposed to happen until overtime. Then, Chris "OMG!" Davis hit the edge perfectly, sprinted into the end zone, and the entire stadium of people spontaneously descended onto the field. Old school Auburn men and women have unanimously told me they'd never seen anything like it on the Plains, and I know full well I haven't seen it in my 31 years.

To me, THAT is what solidifies exactly how legendary the game was. 20 years from now, they'll still be playing that one back on highlight reels, the way they still show Flutie's "Miracle in Miami" and the Cal-Stanford band play. They'll probably even have a quick highlight of the next to last play and Little Nicky arguing for that second to be put back on the clock, if only to play up the "Got a Second?" slogan and stir the pot.

But a lightening in the bottle play like that, even if it was the second one in as many rivalry games, is just that: lightening in a bottle. That kind of thing happens, and while the circumstances of winner take all for the SEC West and a shot at the BCSNC make it legendary on a different scale than most of those I mentioned at the start, that scale is at a national level.

To Auburn men and women, however, having the crowd suddenly spill out onto the field afterward, the likes of which have never been seen at Jordan-Hare, is ours. And that's how legends bloom.

Yeah, and I thought the miracle in Jordan hare 2wks prior to the ironbowl was unprecedented. Only if we could have completed the season with the natty! Still burns me up when I think about it! But it was indeed a special game and season. WDE

HES GUNNA RUN IT BACK!!! HOLY COW GOOD GOSH ALMIGHTY, AUBURN WINS AUBURN WINS!!!

Yes this will be the best game ever played IMO and I watch ALOT of football.

The 2013 IB is now my favorite Auburn game of all time. It made college football history, and that history belongs to Auburn. Beating bammer the way Auburn did after the lil'nickster whined and got his way with the infamous one second was so satisfying, especially in the context of 2010. It was Karma in action.

And outside of all that...it was a great football game. bammer had maybe more talent but Auburn was all heart with the refusal to lose driven by a quietly confident and unassuming QB and a great head coach. It was just such an Auburn kind of win where great decisions, hard work, preparation and opportunity all converged in one epic game.

Archived