10 Commandments in OKC Should Be Fun

So they have a monument of the 10 Commandments on state grounds in Oklahoma. The monument is there illegally according to the Oklahoma State Constitution (can't use the grounds for religious stuff). That ruling was upheld by their courts (Rep/Dem mix that is not elected but selected by governors). But they say they are not going to remove it, they want to appeal the Oklahoma Constitution, and want to spend millions and time to impeach the court members. Members who did nothing wrong except for uphold the states constitution (nothing shady, no tricks, just upheld the actual constitution properly and professionally) .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2015/07/07/oklahomas-ten-commandments-statue-isnt-going-anywhere-governor-says/

The fun part is if you remember there is a statue of Baphomet sitting there ready to be donated to the State of Oklahoma to coexist with the Ten Commandments. The Satanic Church was told that it could not place its statue there due to the rules in the Oklahoma Constitution, and that the Ten were being challenged under that same rule. The Satanic Church accepted that and agreed with the decision.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2015/07/01/the-satanic-temples-giant-statue-of-a-goat-headed-god-is-looking-for-a-home/

Well appears that with all the challenges Baphomet might just get himself a new home if people get what they want.

Maybe a statue of Baphomet on every piece of public property that has one of these graven images is what it will take to finally get the message through to the theocrats.

I doubt very many people even know the name of goat boy.

They won't need to. Just the sight of it will spook them into Constitutional compliance.

705366086568944165.jpg

They won't need to. Just the sight of it will spook them into Constitutional compliance.

705366086568944165.jpg

And is that what we want as a commentary on our society ?

Not I. Goat boy doesn't reflect the values and traditions of any significant part of 99% of our nation. Why would anyone want such a goofy display on public land ?

Humans are silly. Move the thing and let it go. Final judgement will not hinge on it.

Not I. Goat boy doesn't reflect the values and traditions of any significant part of 99% of our nation. Why would anyone want such a goofy display on public land ?

Perhaps to illustrate the goofiness of endorsing ANY religious display on public land in violation of the 1st Amendment?

Perhaps to illustrate the goofiness of endorsing ANY religious display on public land in violation of the 1st Amendment?

Not sure it violates anything, since the Founders routinely incorporated the concept of a creator through out their writings.

A more appropriate display might be something honoring the Indians, who actually inspired the Founders in the formation of the nation w/ it's various colonies / states.

Naaaaaaah. It's that 1% of Orthodox Baphomets that are behind it. ;)

Satanists, actually.

I'm now a member of the Church of the Subgenius. I want my JR "Bob" Dobbs statue properly displayed.

_praise_his_sweet_name__by_nayruasukei.jpg

Satanists, actually.

I'm now a member of the Church of the Subgenius. I want my JR "Bob" Dobbs statue properly displayed.

The Orthodox call themselves Baphomets. It's only the reformed branch that prefers Satanists.

Naaaaaaah. It's that 1% of Orthodox Baphomets that are behind it. ;)/>

Satanists, actually.

The Orthodox call themselves Baphomets. It's only the reformed branch that prefers Satanists.

Makes sense.

I've just now converted to Pastafarianism. I want my colander of noodles properly displayed at the state capital.

The_Flying_Spaghetti_Monster_watching_over_Jesus.jpg

It's all so clear now that I've been Touched by His Noodly Appendage.

Naaaaaaah. It's that 1% of Orthodox Baphomets that are behind it. ;)/>

Satanists, actually.

Makes sense.

I've just now converted to Pastafarianism. I want my colander of noodles properly displayed at the state capital.

The_Flying_Spaghetti_Monster_watching_over_Jesus.jpg

It's all so clear now that I've been Touched by His Noodly Appendage.

That would make for an interesting statue.

Courthouse in Crossville, TN. They pulled it, along with all of them rest of them, because of the controversy, though. Help help I'm being repressed.

They actually have applied to put a statue up in OKC also.

Good. No blatant violation of the establishment clause is complete without the Ancient of Noodles.

Not sure it violates anything, since the Founders routinely incorporated the concept of a creator through out their writings.

You are of course entitled to your opinion and your uncertainty ("Not sure...")

The federal district court in 2002 had no such doubts, however:

https://scholar.goog...dt=206&as_vis=1

The Establishment Clause of the First Amendment, made binding upon the States through the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, provides that government "shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." The question presented to this court is whether the Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court violated the Establishment Clause when he placed a slightly over two-and-a-half ton granite monument — engraved with the Ten Commandments and other references to God — in the Alabama State Judicial Building with the specific purpose and effect, as the court finds from the evidence, of acknowledging the Judeo-Christian God as the moral foundation of our laws.

Based on the evidence presented during a week-long trial and for the reasons that follow, this court holds that the evidence is overwhelming and the law is clear that the Chief Justice violated the Establishment Clause.

This judgement was upheld by the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals and Moore chose not to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court. He still refused, however, to remove the monument and as a result was removed from office by the Alabama Court of the Judiciary for refusing to obey a federal court order.

If I were a taxpayer in Oklahoma, I would be incensed that the Governor wants to waste my tax dollars appealing a lost cause that was decided years ago. But of course it is my opinion that the real motive of Judge Moore and Gov. Fallin was/is to appeal to their political bases and garner public (perhaps national) attention without regard to fiscal responsibility.

Courthouse in Crossville, TN. They pulled it, along with all of them rest of them, because of the controversy, though. Help help I'm being repressed.

Dang! I was thinking of a pilgrimage.

The Establishment Clause of the First Amendment, made binding upon the States through the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, provides that government "shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." The question presented to this court is whether the Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court violated the Establishment Clause when he placed a slightly over two-and-a-half ton granite monument — engraved with the Ten Commandments and other references to God — in the Alabama State Judicial Building with the specific purpose and effect, as the court finds from the evidence, of acknowledging the Judeo-Christian God as the moral foundation of our laws.

Based on the evidence presented during a week-long trial and for the reasons that follow, this court holds that the evidence is overwhelming and the law is clear that the Chief Justice violated the Establishment Clause.

This judgement was upheld by the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals and Moore chose not to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court. He still refused, however, to remove the monument and as a result was removed from office by the Alabama Court of the Judiciary for refusing to obey a federal court order.

If I were a taxpayer in Oklahoma, I would be incensed that the Governor wants to waste my tax dollars appealing a lost cause that was decided years ago. But of course it is my opinion that the real motive of Judge Moore and Gov. Fallin was/is to appeal to their political bases and garner public (perhaps national) attention without regard to fiscal responsibility.

Hmmmm, pander to the public for political benefit while creating a windfall for your lawyer buddies.

Got to admit, it's shrewd.

Reminds me of the book I am reading - "The Wisdom of Psychopaths"

Hmmmm, pander to the public for political benefit while creating a windfall for your lawyer buddies.

And as ancient as politics itself! ;)

And as ancient as politics itself! ;)

:thumbsup: Yeah, I should have added ...."if not original".

Archived