Gold Cup

AUbritt

Best teams from North and Central America, plus the Caribbean.

Round of 16 matches just kicked off, with the USA winning its opening match against Honduras 2-0.

The other two teams in our group fought to a draw earlier in the day, so this win puts us squarely out in front, points-wise.

Winning the Gold Cup guarantees the USA a berth in the Confederations Cup, which will take place the year before the World Cup in the host country (so, it's a good tournament to make to get experience).

Somehow, even if the US doesn't win, we get to play the winner in a 1-game playoff for the Confederations Cup berth. (Maybe because we won the Gold Cup last time?)

The thing that's interesting about the Gold Cup is that the US team has set its goal as winning. Klinsmann has picked his team to win it. So, we shall see if they can live up to expectations.

U.g.l.y.

3 points but uninspired play. Both teams were lethargic at times in the second half. The heat/humidity was apparent in the play. Honduras was just more desperate and made things happen.

I'm thinking we will improve - primarily because I think our fitness will improve. A lot of these guys have been on vacation the last month. But the mls players, like altidore, shouldn't look like they are about to pass out. Dempsey and Bradley played hard till the end but they have always done that.

I thought Fabian Johnson was generally solid. Everyone else did a few nice things and a few bad things. Weird game.

Take the 4 points and move on, I guess.

U.g.l.y.

3 points but uninspired play. Both teams were lethargic at times in the second half. The heat/humidity was apparent in the play. Honduras was just more desperate and made things happen.

I'm thinking we will improve - primarily because I think our fitness will improve. A lot of these guys have been on vacation the last month. But the mls players, like altidore, shouldn't look like they are about to pass out. Dempsey and Bradley played hard till the end but they have always done that.

I thought Fabian Johnson was generally solid. Everyone else did a few nice things and a few bad things. Weird game.

Take the 4 points and move on, I guess.

Agree that it was an ugly game. Interesting to compare our performance in the GC to the WWC team. The latter didn't look good until the end, either. I actually think the men's team will be measured a bit with reference to the women's team, given their recent success,

I hope they do ... because the men will need to raise their game - ALOT. The men's competition is universally more difficult. But the womens team is just elite in the womens game. The "second tier" in the womens game is 10-20 teams. The second and third tier in the means game is 50-60 teams. As witnessed by the number 70 something Honduras team giving it to the USMNT (guessing we are ranked in the 20's).

But, I have always felt as though the USMNT plays with waaaaaaaaaaay less heart and grit than they are capable of and less than the women's team for sure. I think the mental aspect has been the biggest thing that Klinnsman has been trying to change, in addition to the technical skills. I am not sure our guys "have it". I think we used to a couple of decades ago when the skill level was lower and the USMNT was winning on athleticism and the good ole dogged American winning attitude.

I just can't help but think the men's team is just mentally ... soft.

We continue to look for a left back and Alvarado just adds to the trainwreck back there. To be fair, this US squad got together just a week before this tournament so things aren't clicking yet. Against Haiti tomorrow we'll have a good opportunity to polish things. Altidore is going to make an entire career out of giving 50%. Loved all the overlapping but concacaf when all's said & done is still world class athletes playing a style of soccer that's undisciplined "spaz ball". This is arguably the best Honduran squad ever, now coached by Pinta who took Costa Rica to the quarterfinals in last summers world cup. His teams play an odd 5-4-1 (or 4-1-4-1 "Libero") that gives everybody fits. Don't be surprised if we meet Honduras again in the final, they tied Mexico last week.

This Gold Cup may not be the usual 4 good teams and a pool of minnows. Jamaica looked good tying Costa Rica 2-2 last night (Wanchop for CR can't coach a flip though IMO) and Haiti tied Panama, a tournament dark horse favorite.

One additional point about US fitness. The game the US played against Honduras was not suited for that climate and as much as Jurgen knows about America, he's still apparently learning our Southern summers. The US defense & midfield were tanked by the 60th minute because we ran constant overlaps the entire first half. You can do that in Foxboro but not Frisco, TX in July. The US players were not in worse shape than the opposition, our game plan was just different - apparently assuming Yedlin would score early than he'd stop making 50 yard sprints. Risky game plan, didn't happen. We all know soccer is 12 to 15 miles of short sprints on a 120 yard field without breaks (for the most part) for 90 minutes. What Klinsmann (and the US sports media) forget is the US south during the Summer is almost incomparably humid. And I'm talking about compared to central and South America where it's just as hot but breezy and not as humid. A bit different than Foxboro where Jamaica & Costa Rica played last night. Back in '94 when we hosted the World Cup, even South American teams were dying in the Georgia Summer heat. Last Summer in Brazil the US weathered the Brazilian climate as well as anybody because...we're used to it. But nobody with only 3 subs can make half-field sprints in it for 90 minutes. Live & learn Jurgen.

One additional point about US fitness. The game the US played against Honduras was not suited for that climate and as much as Jurgen knows about America, he's still apparently learning our Southern summers. The US defense & midfield were tanked by the 60th minute because we ran constant overlaps the entire first half. You can do that in Foxboro but not Frisco, TX in July. The US players were not in worse shape than the opposition, our game plan was just different - apparently assuming Yedlin would score early than he'd stop making 50 yard sprints. Risky game plan, didn't happen. We all know soccer is 12 to 15 miles of short sprints on a 120 yard field without breaks (for the most part) for 90 minutes. What Klinsmann (and the US sports media) forget is the US south during the Summer is almost incomparably humid. And I'm talking about compared to central and South America where it's just as hot but breezy and not as humid. A bit different than Foxboro where Jamaica & Costa Rica played last night. Back in '94 when we hosted the World Cup, even South American teams were dying in the Georgia Summer heat. Last Summer in Brazil the US weathered the Brazilian climate as well as anybody because...we're used to it. But nobody with only 3 subs can make half-field sprints in it for 90 minutes. Live & learn Jurgen.

It can be done in Texas. Did it for years lol. But I grew up playing there. Hated going to tourneys in Colorado.... but that is where I learned how to let the ball do the running instead of accumulating yellows (back then automatic reds didn't exist! You could practically kill someone and get a yellow)

Problem is that it takes two weeks for the human body to acclimate to a climate. So when you bounce from climate to climate then you never acclimate fully. Which sucks when you hit the extremes (hot or cold).

I didn't get to see the game so not sure what the weather was for that day, but humidity is not something you worry about in Dallas in July the majority of the time.

Thing with Brazil was you knew what you were going to be in for a month and could train and acclimate for it without shifting climates and altitudes. Germany built a base camp specifically for Brazil and it's venues and it paid off:

http://www.sporttechie.com/2014/06/15/germany-built-their-own-base-camp-in-brazil-for-the-world-cup/

Like you mentioned we handled the temps well also, cause we easily have access to that climate and at a higher level in which to prepare.

So Cuba is next up for the U.S. in the quarterfinals. Seems like a pretty good draw for the U.S.--with the winner of this game facing the winner of Jamaica/Haiti.

the panama game was excruciating to watch. playing a team like cuba should be the easiest game so far. i like klinnsman, but seems just about half or more of the players are out of the position they play for their clubs. i hope we "grow" into this tournament cause we will get bounced in the semis if we don't find some rhythm. I hope we put 5 on cuba. would be good for the confidence.

To hear the pundits talk, Cuba should be an easy win. I am not liking our back 4 at all, thus far. Very disorganized, which has also hampered setting up the O.

Well that was a very comfortable win over Cuba. The back line wasn't testing with many serious attempts. Johannsson played his best game so far IMO. I'd love to see Yedlin get more playing time.

the panama game was excruciating to watch. playing a team like cuba should be the easiest game so far. i like klinnsman, but seems just about half or more of the players are out of the position they play for their clubs. i hope we "grow" into this tournament cause we will get bounced in the semis if we don't find some rhythm. I hope we put 5 on cuba. would be good for the confidence.

You were close...........................6-0

Mexico gets a gift penalty after full time + 2 extra periods during which the center let go WAY worse than that. Criminal. I want us to trounce Mexco in the final but will not be heartbroken if Panama punks them in the semis. Herrera needs to make the final to save his job, his Joe Theismann-like primping & preening and dunce managing of Mexico's golden generation is not sitting well south of the boarder.

fwiw, Mexico has beaten the US in soccer 4 of the last 19 games. :flag:

Their defense is vulnerable out wide and they keep shooting the ball like they are kicking field goals ...

2-0 anyone ????

Of course we got a tough one before then. We will benefit from an easy game and extra days rest to counter jamaicas extra time game in the sun on one less day

Total gift penalty for Mexico. What a joke that was. Tuned in just in time to watch the penalty kicks in the previous game. Heartbreaker for T&T; but I guess I'd prefer that ending to what happened to the Ticos.

Go USA tonight in Atlanta!

Well, I only watched about 30 minutes of the Mexico game ... Mostly the second half ... It appeared to me Mexico deserved the win even if it was a cheap way to get it.

Well, I only watched about 30 minutes of the Mexico game ... Mostly the second half ... It appeared to me Mexico deserved the win even if it was a cheap way to get it.

They squandered so many scoring chances, I felt they deserved to lose in PKs. They played better, except for not being able to score. Just my opinion, of course.

Guess I'm pulling for the reggae boys now. Ugh.

Archived