So, "glitch" on Wall Street, United Airlines and WSJ ... coincidence ?

AURaptor

No worries. barry will be quick to surrender...

LOL!!!! :laugh:/> :roflol:/>

First response is Obama!

....First and last you uneducated moron. Not my fault your savior in the WH is the most pathetic president in history. Bwahahahaha

Don't we have rules against this.....a mod at that

No. Next?

What a complete and utter embarrassment to this board...

What's funny is I imagine every morning he gets up and look in the mirror and thinks he's the greatest lol

Sorry Cole, I asked the same thing a few weeks ago when another mod (Texas Tiger) used the same term. Titan confirmed this is not a rule.

Oh well Timmy will get his, if he ever ventures too far out and use phrases other than bwahaha and smiley faces and insults he'll do something stupid

First response is Obama!

....First and last you uneducated moron. Not my fault your savior in the WH is the most pathetic president in history. Bwahahahaha

No. Next?

You are a complete and utter embarrassment to mankind...

WSUS is a free product from Microsoft that allows you to basically operate your own Windows update server(s), and it is used by virtually every company that has nearly 100 workstations or more since it saves the bandwidth of every workstation and server having to download those updates independently. It also gives you lovely reports on status. Approval is how an update is made available for clients to install. Auto-approval is not enabled by default, but substantially reduces the workload of having to approve updates if you trust a certain category of them.

On the client side, group policy handles when workstations query the WSUS server for updates, and what is done with them. For example, the setting I use is auto download and notify users for install. Some people actually install when they have a chance, but most end up installing the updates when they shut down for the day. What this does prevent is any updates being installed on any servers until I specifically choose to install them. Another option (the dangerous one for servers especially) is auto download and schedule the install, where the install proceeds regardless at whatever time the admin sets.

A bad patch/update from Microsoft can be catastrophic if WSUS and group policy are set to auto-approve and scheduled install, and Microsoft releases plenty of them. More often than not, they do not cause a huge problem across most of Microsoft's huge user base, but they do frequently interfere with proprietary or custom software that many companies use.

With the what they have at stake, it seems like they would have a system to test the updates. They should have the resources to visualize and automate these test. However, no system is perfect.

The "recommended" practice is to never apply untested Windows updates to a production server, or even workstations for that matter. Most do indeed use a virtual environment to test update compatibility with whatever applications they use. However, "recommended" does not necessarily mean one can count on it being implemented.

You would not believe some of the things and configurations I have seen in use at businesses of nearly all sizes, government agency offices, and military bases. Poor to nonexistent backup procedures, security configurations, and system configurations. Most of the ridiculous deployments I saw at military bases was relative to contractors, but their gear was still on the base network.

Personally, I do not believe that to be the case with the New York Stock Exchange or United Airlines. A tech that did not think it through properly could have just as easily selected to approve and install an update when he saw it was a security update from Microsoft that did not require a reboot.

First response is Obama!

No. Next?

Hehehe

First response is Obama!

No. Next?

FB_IMG_1435666011541.jpg

Archived