Ken Stabler passes away

cooltigger21

Always liked the Snake, especially after he left t-town. He was an original.

He was definitely one of a kind. I remember him and that bunch with the raiders. Him, Casper, Matuzak, Alzado and all the other cast of characters were nuts. Boy could they play though. I remember him talking about going out and partying the night before the Super Bowl.

Always liked the Snake, especially after he left t-town. He was an original.

He was definitely one of a kind. I remember him and that bunch with the raiders. Him, Casper, Matuzak, Alzado and all the other cast of characters were nuts. Boy could they play though. I remember him talking about going out and partying the night before the Super Bowl.

Ted Hendricks and the rest! The anti-Staubach!

I was there for "The Run In The Mud" my first IB. He made me sick that day but I have long since gotten over it. I loved it when he was playing for the a Raiders. They played the game the way it was meant to be played. Not necessarily the cleanest bunch but fun to watch. RIP Snake.

OK, somebody has to say it: Stabler was a piece of garbage. Back in the early 80s a reporter was digging into his connections with organized crime along the Gulf Coast and Stabler, along with his buddies in the local cop shop set the guy up and had him sent to prison. As far as I'm concerned, that's a capital crime and Stabler finally paid for it. He was a sot, a junkie, a cheat, and a mafioso. The only time he made the world a better place was when he became fertilizer.

OK, somebody has to say it: Stabler was a piece of garbage. Back in the early 80s a reporter was digging into his connections with organized crime along the Gulf Coast and Stabler, along with his buddies in the local cop shop set the guy up and had him sent to prison. As far as I'm concerned, that's a capital crime and Stabler finally paid for it. He was a sot, a junkie, a cheat, and a mafioso. The only time he made the world a better place was when he became fertilizer.

Hey CJ, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about him!! ;) I do remember the set up incident and it was for sure a railroad job. Happened at the Flora-Bama if I'm not mistaken during the Mullet Toss. Stabler was a regular there. I agree with your assessment and he would not be someone I would want to hang out with. I was in Houston, TX when he played for the Oilers and he had celebrity status while he was there. I guess it just all caught up with him. It always does.

I would be interested in some particulars of that incident. For example, what is the name of that reporter, the names of Stabler's buddies and the name of the local "cop shop?"

I would be interested in some particulars of that incident. For example, what is the name of that reporter, the names of Stabler's buddies and the name of the local "cop shop?"

This article sums it up pretty good. It was just a prank to scare the crap out of the reporter and I guess it did.

http://thestacks.deadspin.com/when-ken-stabler-was-a-country-music-lyric-come-to-life-1717060008/1717487070

I don't really know what kind of guy he was, but whenever I happened to tune in to the bama radio broadcast I usually enjoyed him. Much better than his partner freaking Eli Gold and Stabler's replacement that blowhard Phil Savage. Can not stand those two.

He was a rebel and a bit of an outlaw. Also a good guy when you met him. I liked him and liked to watch him play. In the pros, of course.

tune in to the bama radio broadcast

Huh?????

Yeah when we would be driving home after Auburn games we sometimes would listen the turds game and I enjoyed Stabler's commentary more than his other broadcast partners.

Huh?????

Yeah when we would be driving home after Auburn games we sometimes would listen the turds game and I enjoyed Stabler's commentary more than his other broadcast partners.

I can't stand listening to any of them, but especially Eli.

Huh?????

Agreed! Can"t stand Eli, he has to be the worst play by play man in the conference.

Huh?????

Agreed! Can"t stand Eli, he has to be the worst play by play man in the conference.

I think Eli, will retire a classic of his era, but that's just me. But, I'm not very familiar with anyone else aside from David Kellum and of course the great Rod Bramblett.

Huh?????

I think Eli, will retire a classic of his era, but that's just me. But, I'm not very familiar with anyone else aside from David Kellum and of course the great Rod Bramblett.

I have listened to most of the other ones in the conference and the only that I think is as bad as Eli is Florida's play by play. I did like Eli when he did television for NASCAR.

Huh?????

Eli is the worst, the worst, play by play announcer in the game. NASCAR is a different story.

Huh?????

Eli is the worst, the worst, play by play announcer in the game. NASCAR is a different story.

That very well might be. I guess I don't really listen to him enough to know. But, he has an incredible voice.

I have on good account that Eli gets his meals comped around Tuscaloosa, eats like a pig and doesn't tip. I heard this from a bammer who waited on him while at school there. I quote: "He's a thoroughly disgusting human being." Just one man's opinion. I'd probably enjoy his broadcasts if I were one of those people.

Never could summon up any hate for Stabler. And I'm not just saying that because of his untimely passing. Would've loved the chance to meet him. RIP, Snake.

I have on good account that Eli gets his meals comped around Tuscaloosa, eats like a pig and doesn't tip. I heard this from a bammer who waited on him while at school there. I quote: "He's a thoroughly disgusting human being." Just one man's opinion. I'd probably enjoy his broadcasts if I were one of those people.

Never could summon up any hate for Stabler. And I'm not just saying that because of his untimely passing. Would've loved the chance to meet him. RIP, Snake.

I met Eli Gold back in the mid 70's when he was the radio announcer doing the Birmingham Bulls hockey team games. I was at the condo of the coach of the team after a game having a libation or two and Gold walked in. One look at his physical appearance and I knew he was definitely not a hockey player. He was a beachball back then and from the pics I've seen of him in later years, he hasn't changed. I have trees in my back yard that have more personality than he possessed. I was sort of shocked when I found out he was the voice of the tahd but then again now that I think about it, he is a perfect fit !!

Archived