FSU RB Delvin Cook wanted for battery

JFDTiger80

2nd FSU player in a couple of weeks being arrested for beating up a woman. If the story that has come out is correct, he will have to be dismissed. Horrible. Allegedly punched her several times.

article helps

The state attorney's office in Tallahassee will issue a warrant for the arrest of Florida State running back Dalvin Cook, who is accused of punching a 21-year-old woman in the face several times during an argument outside a bar last month.

State attorney Willie Meggs told ESPN.com on Friday that he had met with the woman, who is not a Florida State student, and a female witness on Friday. Cook's accuser presented Meggs photos of her injuries.

Meggs said Cook, a 19-year-old sophomore from Miami, will be charged with misdemeanor battery.

"I found the women to be very credible," Meggs said.

The alleged incident occurred the night before former Seminoles quarterback De'Andre Johnson punched another woman at a different bar near the FSU campus on June 24. Seminoles coach Jimbo Fisher dismissed Johnson from the team on Monday night, hours after the state attorney's office released surveillance video showing Johnson punching a 21-year-old FSU student in the face.

The woman who said Cook punched her told ESPN.com that her bottom lip was split and her nose was sore the next day. The woman said she identified Cook as the man who struck her in a photo lineup with two Tallahassee Police Department investigators on July 1. She told police she wanted to pursue criminal charges against him.

The woman, who lives in Tallahassee, told ESPN.com that she was approached by a man who was not Cook outside of the bar Clyde's and Costello's shortly after it closed on June 23. The woman said the man asked for her phone number, which she refused to give him.

"I told him I had a boyfriend and wasn't interested," said the woman, who spoke to ESPN.com on the condition she not be identified. The woman said the argument became heated, and then Cook punched her in the face several times. Her friend ran to a nearby Tallahassee Police car, which wasn't occupied, so the woman called 911.

"They kept telling me they were football players," the woman said. "They kept telling me to Google them. They told me they were football players and they could buy me in two years."

Attempts by ESPN to contact Cook on Thursday were unsuccessful.

A TPD incident report indicates an officer arrived at Clyde's and Costello's at 2:24 a.m. on June 23. An incident report by TPD on Wednesday was heavily redacted. The report said the woman was "intoxicated."

In a statement to ESPN.com, TPD spokesman David Northway said state law "does not allow TPD to provide any details in the active and on-going investigation."

Justin Rossi, 28, of Tallahassee, said he told police that he witnessed the incident. Rossi said he tried to stand between the two women and a group of five to seven men to try to calm the situation. An officer was working security in the parking lot at the time but went inside the bar at closing, Rossi told ESPN.com.

"When the cop went inside, the girl got punched in the mouth," Rossi said.

Cook, who the Florida Athletic Coaches Association named "Mr. Football" in Florida as a senior at Miami Central High School in 2013, was FSU's leading rusher last season, gaining 1,008 yards with eight touchdowns. He ran for a career-high 177 yards with one touchdown in FSU's 37-35 victory over Georgia Tech in the ACC championship game.

On June 26, 2014, Cook was one of three FSU football players questioned in connection with a BB-gun battle that damaged cars and homes at an apartment complex in Tallahassee. The incident prompted a full-scale response from local law enforcement, which included the county sheriff's office helicopter, based on witnesses' initially fearing a more serious shootout. Cook was charged with criminal mischief and given pretrial intervention in December, which he completed on June 16.

And last July, Cook was named as an "associate" in an aggravated assault case in which police were investigating whether two men brandished a firearm at a neighbor. The incident happened at Cook's apartment, but one of the accusers told ESPN's Outside the Lines he didn't believe the weapon belonged to Cook.

Because the most recent incident occurred outside Clyde's and Costello's, it's unclear whether video footage exists. In Johnson's case, Meggs charged him with misdemeanor battery after reviewing video of the incident. Surveillance cameras inside that bar appear to show Johnson punch a woman in the face while they argued. He pleaded not guilty on July 2 and has a case management conference in a Leon County court on July 22.

Johnson's attorney, Jose Baez, told NBC's "Today" on Tuesday that his client punched the woman after she called him racial epithets and provoked him. Baez said Johnson was not the initial aggressor but is "owning this" and trying to learn from the experience.

Baez said Johnson accidentally made contact with her while they waited to order at the bar. Baez said Johnson tried to "de-escalate the situation," but the woman "kneed him in the groin area" and "took another swing before he retaliated."

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"In a heavily redacted police report obtained by the Tallahassee Democrat, the victim was listed as intoxicated and suffered minor abrasion/bruises from the incident, which occurred outside of Clyde's & Costellos on South Adams Street."

Heavily redacted.... Sound familiar??

"I told him I had a boyfriend and wasn't interested," said the woman, who spoke to ESPN.com on the condition she not be identified. The woman said the argument became heated, and then Cook punched her in the face several times. Her friend ran to a nearby Tallahassee police car, which wasn't occupied, so the woman called 911.

"They kept telling me they were football players," the woman said. "They kept telling me to Google them. They told me they were football players and they could buy me in two years."

Man...as much as I want to slander FSU, we offered this guy out of HS.

But I still will anyways. Lol Jameis got away with w/e he wanted so now the rest of the team is going to think they can also. Glad to be watching that program start to crumble from all the way over here.

This is almost hard to believe. You know that domestic violence has to be a topic that in recent weeks, not to mention years, has been gone over and over with these players, or so I would hope. Unbelievable arrogance.

This is almost hard to believe. You know that domestic violence has to be a topic that in recent weeks, not to mention years, has been gone over and over with these players, or so I would hope. Unbelievable arrogance.

Likely, but this incident took place the day before Johnson's, per the articles.

Likely, but this incident took place the day before Johnson's, per the articles.

Ah, OK.

Also Cook had been at practice up until yesterday. Johnson was suspended immediately, I believe.

Hmm.

But I still will anyways. Lol Jameis got away with w/e he wanted so now the rest of the team is going to think they can also. Glad to be watching that program start to crumble from all the way over here.

We are recruiting the same guys from the same "pot" as FSU and other schools with these kinds of problems.....and sooner or later it's going to happen here too.

Some schools like FSU and Bama apparently located in bigger cities have more opportunity for their guys to get in trouble at bars and night spots..

I'm just sayin' that our day is going to come .....so IMO folks are making a mistake showing some glee at FSU's problems right now. It's happening at other schools too....not just an FSU issue.

We are recruiting the same guys from the same "pot" as FSU and other schools with these kinds of problems.....and sooner or later it's going to happen here too.

Some schools like FSU and Bama apparently located in bigger cities have more opportunity for their guys to get in trouble at bars and night spots..

I'm just sayin' that our day is going to come .....so IMO folks are making a mistake showing some glee at FSU's problems right now. It's happening at other schools too....not just an FSU issue.

You're absolutely correct. We've had our share of idiots also, but in the current climate violence against women is on top of the "no-no" list. Hopefully our guys stick to robberies LOL :slapfh:

Also Cook had been at practice up until yesterday. Johnson was suspended immediately, I believe.

Hmm.

No cook will hurt...other guy not so much

Hmm.

No cook will hurt...other guy not so much

Indeed. I'm wondering if they were going through the motions of trying to cover it up and if they suspended Cook immediately, it'd raise too many eyebrows.

You're absolutely correct. We've had our share of idiots also, but in the current climate violence against women is on top of the "no-no" list. Hopefully our guys stick to robberies LOL :slapfh:

This isn't and individual problem. This is a FSU culture problem. "We are football players... We can buy you in two years..." This is a bi-product of recruiting and the system at FSU. Many of us don't want to believe it but under Chizik, this too was our culture.

@AsherWildMan6: Affidavit also lists FSU WR Travis Rudolph. Says he was too close to woman & she shoved him away. Shouting then started, then Cook hit her.

@AsherWildMan6: According to affidavit: Cook says he can not remember getting in to an argument that night and said he did not hit anyone.

@AsherWildMan6: According to affidavit: One witness was unable to identify Cook in a photographic line up, but victim xxx ID'd him with "100% certainty."

There is photo evidence but not video evidence

This isn't and individual problem. This is a FSU culture problem. "We are football players... We can buy you in two years..." This is a bi-product of recruiting and the system at FSU. Many of us don't want to believe it but under Chizik, this too was our culture.

Re Chizik....sorry but he has only been gone 2 years and frankly I don't know what our culture is under Gus since he helped recruit some of those guys who had problems here when Chiz was the HC. Wont' name the names but most of us know who they are/were....and how many disciplinary issues were there last year that resulted in suspensions? Not any biggies as far as we know but enough issues to let most of know that we are not immune.

Anyone who thinks this is just an FSU culture issue is dreaming IMO. It's a college football athletics issue......and FSU is just the most recent school with problems...and how long ago was it that LSU was the school...or Missouri or Oklahoma?

You're absolutely correct. We've had our share of idiots also, but in the current climate violence against women is on top of the "no-no" list. Hopefully our guys stick to robberies LOL :slapfh:/>

Re Chizik....sorry but he has only been gone 2 years and frankly I don't know what our culture is under Gus since he helped recruit some of those guys who had problems here when Chiz was the HC. Wont' name the names but most of us know who they are/were....and how many disciplinary issues were there last year that resulted in suspensions? Not any biggies as far as we know but enough issues to let most of know that we are not immune.

Anyone who thinks this is just an FSU culture issue is dreaming IMO. It's a college football athletics issue......and FSU is just the most recent school with problems...and how long ago was it that LSU was the school...or Missouri or Oklahoma?

No doubt. I agree that its best to approach these stories with caution. No one is immune.

"Cook said he did not remember getting into an argument and said he did not hit anyone, and Rudolph said he was unaware of a fight taking place. Francois said he remembered the argument and Rudolph being hit by one of the women, but no other violence."

"Cook said he did not remember getting into an argument and said he did not hit anyone, and Rudolph said he was unaware of a fight taking place. Francois said he remembered the argument and Rudolph being hit by one of the women, but no other violence."

So who can photoshop these dudes' heads on a Hangover movie poster?

it's a conspiracy man

@Mark_Schlabach: #FSU president John E. Thrasher asked Jimbo Fisher to meet with his team immediately, and others, including Willie Meggs, will speak to them

Archived