FSU RB Delvin Cook wanted for battery

JFDTiger80

OK gotcha. Agreed that he seems to just let this BS slide. It kind of reminds me of when Chizik had to hire a security staff for the players to essentially babysit them when they were away from the football facility because he couldn't keep them in line himself.

Well not really "himself" but the ultimate responsibility is his.

Chiz at least took some action...might not have been the wisest course but then again, the HC can't be roaming the night spots and making bed checks on these guys who are scattered all over the county. JMO but the assistant coaches and coordinators have a responsibility here...they recruit these guys and should be accountable for them too.

As for Jimbo, this is twice that the university president had to step on a football discipline situation in the last couple years. I know Jimbo is a good coach and all but once would be it for most university execs.

And...do they have an AD at FSU ? these problems don't get handled by the athletic department. Pres could have called meeting and reamed out the entire coaching staff and the AD then told them he never wanted to pick up the local newspaper and see something like this again ....or they were all gone.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK gotcha. Agreed that he seems to just let this BS slide. It kind of reminds me of when Chizik had to hire a security staff for the players to essentially babysit them when they were away from the football facility because he couldn't keep them in line himself.

Well not really "himself" but the ultimate responsibility is his.

Chiz at least took some action...might not have been the wisest course but then again, the HC can't be roaming the night spots and making bed checks on these guys who are scattered all over the county. JMO but the assistant coaches and coordinators have a responsibility here...they recruit these guys and should be accountable for them too.

As for Jimbo, this is twice that the university president had to step on a football discipline situation in the last couple years. I know Jimbo is a good coach and all but once would be it for most university execs.

And...do they have an AD at FSU ? these problems don't get handled by the athletic department. Pres could have called meeting and reamed out the entire coaching staff and the AD then told them he never wanted to pick up the local newspaper and see something like this again ....or they were all gone.

Good post!

Jimbo is soft as cotton candy on discipline and I didn't think any coach could match Bobby Bowden in the discipline department.

The NCAA is the culprit here, along with a huge change in morals and ethics and family. If you want the coaches to have more control, give them more access. Put the players in one DORM. Heck, my Dad had trouble keeping up with me in a 1200 sq ft house.

The NCAA is the culprit here, along with a huge change in morals and ethics and family. If you want the coaches to have more control, give them more access. Put the players in one DORM. Heck, my Dad had trouble keeping up with me in a 1200 sq ft house.

While I agree 100% with you, forcing players to live together in athletic dorms would never fly in today's world. Many, many college athletes have babies or small children that they have to help care for and support. They want the freedom to do what they want on their own time. There was a dang revolt when Chizik put them on curfew, banned them from bars and had security people monitoring their activties. While Chizik was doing what he felt was necessary, the players hated it.

While I agree 100% with you, forcing players to live together in athletic dorms would never fly in today's world. Many, many college athletes have babies or small children that they have to help care for and support. They want the freedom to do what they want on their own time. There was a dang revolt when Chizik put them on curfew, banned them from bars and had security people monitoring their activties. While Chizik was doing what he felt was necessary, the players hated it.

I don't disagree. My point, even if it means defending Jimbo, is that we expect coaches to effectively control 100+ players, under conditions that DO NOT LET THEM. If they are adults, put the blame where it belongs. On the player.

Here's the latest:

Keep in mind, this is FSU Pres initiated, not Jimbo!

http://espn.go.com/c...t-john-thrasher

After two Florida State football players were charged with misdemeanor battery only days apart last week, president John Thrasher put forth an outline of the university's plans for improving student-athlete behavior through education.

"When you have two things like this happen and you get national attention, you have to pay attention to it," Thrasher said in a 60-minute meeting with the Tallahassee Democrat editorial board Thursday.

Thrasher said FSU wants student-athletes to be required to take a course in social responsibilities, one that "would give them some additional background in consequences of actions. ... Understanding that we live in a social media world; everything you do is scrutinized."

Additionally, FSU has plans to add another position in its compliance department to oversee student-athlete development, Thrasher told the Democrat.

In other words, be careful what you do because someone may video you on a cell phone and put it on Facebook. Or there might be consequences for you. No real mention of right or wrong? Or of hurting another person? I think they may be missing the point here.

In other words, be careful what you do because someone may video you on a cell phone and put it on Facebook. Or there might be consequences for you. No real mention of right or wrong? Or of hurting another person? I think they may be missing the point here.

Agreed. Also, he straight up said that national attention caused him to act. What a scumbag.

• 1 month later...

apparently the woman was TJ Davis's girlfriend. I want to play these punks again!

In opening statement state says incident escalated when accuser said boyfriend plays for Auburn. Says Cook then "punched her in the mouth."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/08/why_was_auburn_mentioned_in_da.html#incart_2box

@ByTimReynolds: On the Dalvin Cook jury: Several who acknowledged being FSU fans, and an FSU employee. Not chosen: Woman upset about glorifying athletes.

What a jacked up story. Who knows what to believe? Word to the wise, girls and boys, nothing good happens when you get out of control drunk. Just sayin'

FIFY. ;)

I don't disagree. My point, even if it means defending Jimbo, is that we expect coaches to effectively control 100+ players, under conditions that DO NOT LET THEM. If they are adults, put the blame where it belongs. On the player.

absolutely agree....I remember waaay back when Len Bias at U of Md died of an overdose with some buddies in an apartment and the basketball coach (Lefty) was fired because of it. Coaches have a long history of being the scapegoat for the bad behavior of their players. Some coaches create the conditions by ignoring repeated problems...but in the end, the players should pay the price, not the coach.

Classic FSUtwitter blasting TJ Davis now that he commented on it. Nice.

What did Davis say?

He said the justice system is messed up. And he is right if that jury had biased FSU fans on the jury.

What did Davis say?

He said the justice system is messed up. And he is right if that jury had biased FSU fans on the jury.

Thanks. And agreed.

What did Davis say?

Thanks. And agreed.

I did paraphrase, so here is his Twitter post,
The system ain't for us! They make verdicts off who pays them! They don't care bout the truth.

What did Davis say?

Basically said people were paid off so that Dalvin would be let off the hook, and he keeps responding to all the people messaging him.

his message would have been received better if he had left the "paid off" part out. i doubt very seriously anyone was giving cash to a juror for something like this. he should also turn off his twitter for a week or so. i am sure he is ticked - and rightfully so it sounds like - but there is no winning in this situation. he can only pray that auburn plays fsu in the playoffs.

Archived