President to Visit Federal Prison

autigeremt

Well, they are not in the pen for singing too loud in church. If i am hiring,i hire the best candidate. An excon is certainly behind the 8 ball. That is not my fault.

The question is, do you want to support a system that keeps him "behind the 8 ball" or help him turn his life around?

i hope he turns it around. But in my hypothetical I have several candidates to choose from. All else is equal the convict is out. Hell, that is life. Unless you put a clause in the affirmative action laws that you must employ a certain proportion of convicts, there is not much you can do. Maybe make it illegal go ask the question?

I bet 90% of these wind up right back in prison within two years or less

That's the point.

An inability to abide by the law , like everyone else ?

No, the point is that we do not have an effective system for rehabilitation for those released convicts who desire to turn their life around, thus the attrition rate is higher than it would be if we made it easier for them to leave the criminal lifestyle.

Do you understand now?

I thought you were hedging to the idea that they were only put in prison in the first place because of their race, or some such.

Rehab makes good sense, but there has to be a WANT by the individual. All the govt programs in the world won't change a person who simply refuses to make the effort.

I don't see how you would have inferred that.

Well, they are not in the pen for singing too loud in church. If i am hiring,i hire the best candidate. An excon is certainly behind the 8 ball. That is not my fault.

The question is, do you want to support a system that keeps him "behind the 8 ball" or help him turn his life around?

i hope he turns it around. But in my hypothetical I have several candidates to choose from. All else is equal the convict is out. Hell, that is life. Unless you put a clause in the affirmative action laws that you must employ a certain proportion of convicts, there is not much you can do. Maybe make it illegal go ask the question?

Assuming you mean the application, there's actually an ongoing debate on that. That information alone puts their application in the garbage, no interview required.

At least if the ex con gets and interview he has a chance of explaining his situation. That may not help but it beats not even getting the interview because of a "check" in a box

Assuming you mean the application, there's actually an ongoing debate on that. That information alone puts their application in the garbage, no interview required.

At least if the ex con gets and interview he has a chance of explaining his situation. They may not help but it beats not even getting the interview because of a "check" in a box

it would leave an interesting "gap" in employment history anyway.

You have to own up to your past and an employer shouldn't have a serious conviction hidden from them, but I think a guy should at least get the chance to explain himself in an interview setting rather than having his application discarded right off the bat because of a checkbox.

Archived