Nike made US red, white & blue disappear at Women's World Cup

cptau

I remember a story about someone at the 1972 Olympics asking where in the world the country Adidas was since they had so many athletes competing in the games.

Now Nike has done even better. They decided what colors a US team will wear, meaning the Nike corporate colors.

http://nypost.com/20...r-at-world-cup/

That brings us to Sunday. If we didn’t know better — or worse — we would have wondered why all those U.S. women’s team fans in Vancouver were wearing red, white and blue, and waving red, white and blue flags. Their team, after all, was dressed in black, white, and neon green and yellow. Yet again, what once would have been out of the question, impossible — a U.S. national team in a uniform other than red, white and blue — was achieved, as the women’s team operates under Nike’s money orders.

Still, why would Nike want the U.S. team to wear anything but red, white and blue? Why would the U.S. Soccer Federation not insist that whomever it sells its soul and soles to, the team wear the nation’s colors?

Yet, despite what was painfully and curiously obvious to everyone over the U.S. team’s last two games, FOX and its battalion of commentators chose to play stupid and play us for stupid. Not a peep as to why the team that appeared in weeks of FOX graphics as red, white and blue betrayed the nation’s colors?

Nike buys everything, including TV’s silence, while flaunting its ownership of everything from college teams, to AAU teams, to pro teams, to U.S. national teams, to the hearts and minds of poor kids who are told they’re nothing without overpriced, Third World-made Nike status-symbol sneakers. Nike shoves it in everyone’s face: “Look! We can make the Blue Devils and Scarlet Knights wear black. We can mess with nations’ colors, force national teams to wear colors we’re selling. Red, white and blue? Don’t be a sap!” Tuesday, the U.S. players made the TV rounds wearing their Nike-issue, swoosh-logoed champions’ black T-shirts.

Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen after the Dream Team won the gold medal in the 1992 Olympics. But this ship sailed long ago. The Nike-indentured 1992 Olympic Dream Teamers — Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley stood out — used American flags as shawls during the medals ceremony, so as not to be seen in a Reebok-logo uniform.

So on we go. Progress. Modern times.

Sunday’s soccer match made enormous national ratings, which is particularly noteworthy as it began at 7 p.m., and ended just after 9.

That defies the modern tenets of MLB, the NCAA, the NBA and their money-partnered networks who years ago decreed that even weekend championship games must begin deep into the night — ostensibly for the viewing good of all, even if half fall asleep.

In fact, Sunday’s monster-rated game ended before NBA and NCAA basketball and football championship games even begin!

Sunday, anyone and everyone, Hempstead to Honolulu, who wanted to watch that game — no fear of losing it to sleep or a school/work night, no age limits — was able to, and in full.

But that’s not going to change anything. Common sense and common decency have become anomalies, lost to Chaplin’s still-turning, grinding, churning wheels of Modern Times. Three cheers for the black, white and neon yellow and green! Especially the green.

u-s.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1

Dumb article considering the question was answered back when the home kits were first revealed.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/soccer/u-s-womens-national-soccer-team-strikes-the-colors-with-new-home-uniform-controversy-ensues/

The black looks better than the collar kit with the red stripe and blue numbers that has been used for home. Not a fan of the socks, but they went for a clean and traditional look and didn't replicate England's, Frances, or every other red, white, and blue country.

I think some the earliest US home kits did use only black striping, but had the colored shield. Also I believe by traditional they meant the white with very simplistic pattern of single striping. Like the following with black striping:

usa-retro-replicas-football-shirt-1950-s_22445_1.jpg

Also remember the 2008 aways that were Charcoal in color were very popular and not complained about. Did have a red stripe at the sleeves and collar but looked more German than US.

What happens to "TRUE" Americans who use to standup and do the right thing because they really loved America and wouldn't allow any BS to keep going around and making things worse every day.

What happens to "TRUE" Americans who use to standup and do the right thing because they really loved America and wouldn't allow any BS to keep going around and making things worse every day.

Was always told that "true" Americans don't like, watch, or care about soccer. So I would guess that the striping on a home kit for the women's team would have no bearing on America and standing up and loving it lol.

True Americans don't what? Whomever "told" you that is an ignorant hick. But there are plenty of dinosaurs butthurt about millions of Americans cheering for a sport the dinosaurs don't find interesting. Fortunately US soccer fans treat disdain for their sport like NASCAR fans do: kiss my a#$. Whiners pine for the good ole days of 1954 - 1994 when US soccer was irrelevant. The NY Post is a well known rag that belittled the US womens team from day 1 of this world cup and now that they look ESPN-level stupid, they're seething. Although there is a story here, it's not about soccer. Its about very poor judgment by team wardrobe decision-makers.

Right on brother!

I've always found it amusing the disdain people have for soccer. Kind of reminds me of some some of the disdain people have for nascar ... I don't particularly like nascar but to each his own.

I'm enthralled by the Tour de France, appreciate the difficulties in golf and absolutely love football. I'm not a fan of pro baseball or basketball but enjoy following and watching auburn in those sports.

Just like every sport ... Same goes for soccer ... The more you know about it the more you appreciate it. I just watched my daughters team beat north Texas at odp regional camp in front of a bunch of college coaches. Dang right I think it's a cool sport. She played in front of auburn coach yesterday. (Admittedly he could have been watching anybody, including Texas girls).

Bottom line ... It's a legit sport and has caught on. The players are getting better and U.S. women's soccer will continue to be a big thing even if only at World Cup and Olympics.

Right on brother!

I've always found it amusing the disdain people have for soccer. Kind of reminds me of some some of the disdain people have for nascar ... I don't particularly like nascar but to each his own.

I'm enthralled by the Tour de France, appreciate the difficulties in golf and absolutely love football. I'm not a fan of pro baseball or basketball but enjoy following and watching auburn in those sports.

Just like every sport ... Same goes for soccer ... The more you know about it the more you appreciate it. I just watched my daughters team beat north Texas at odp regional camp in front of a bunch of college coaches. Dang right I think it's a cool sport. She played in front of auburn coach yesterday. (Admittedly he could have been watching anybody, including Texas girls).

Bottom line ... It's a legit sport and has caught on. The players are getting better and U.S. women's soccer will continue to be a big thing even if only at World Cup and Olympics.

I dont know whether to say congrats or be angry lol.... I played for North Texas (mens) when I was a kid lol. Rest of the country is finally catching up to the states like Texas that it was huge in.

Texas has always been hot for bringing in the college coaches. But you make an impression and they will find out who you are.

Grats to your daughter...... and don't let it happen again!

True Americans don't what? Whomever "told" you that is an ignorant hick. But there are plenty of dinosaurs butthurt about millions of Americans cheering for a sport the dinosaurs don't find interesting. Fortunately US soccer fans treat disdain for their sport like NASCAR fans do: kiss my a#$. Whiners pine for the good ole days of 1954 - 1994 when US soccer was irrelevant. The NY Post is a well known rag that belittled the US womens team from day 1 of this world cup and now that they look ESPN-level stupid, they're seething. Although there is a story here, it's not about soccer. Its about very poor judgment by team wardrobe decision-makers.

I'm old enough to of been playing when the whiners were at their peak. Old enough also to have a pair of Adidas replaceable boots with a tongue that says made in "West Germany" cause as a kid I watched some guy named Klinsmann tear it up in those.

Archived