If You Thought State Supported Slavery Ended in 1864

autigeremt

Think again! Imagine this kind of thing happening today....or could it be?

Keep in mind this school was open until 2010 after the DOJ investigated and found it guilty of cruel treatment of these kids. Gov. Scott shut it down afterwards.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/report-details-deaths-abuse-horror-florida-reform-school-article-1.2105540

Sad. The DOJ should be all over this. I wonder why they are not???

Sad. The DOJ should be all over this. I wonder why they are not???

"this school was open until 2010 after the DOJ investigated and found it guilty of cruel treatment of these kids"

They were all over it. That led to the school being shut down by the state. Here's their full report:

http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/spl/documents/dozier_findltr_12-1-11.pdf

I grew up in Florida. The really bad (white) guys got "sent to Marianna". I knew four who went there and came back. They didn't talk about it much but the only rehab they got there was an overwhelming desire to not get sent back. This was in the late 1950's. In about 1962 I happened to get into a conversation with a 17 year-old that was in custody, waiting transport to a full time prison. He was lobbying to go to the adult prison at Raiford, he said he wasn't going back to Marianna if he could help it.

I grew up in Florida. The really bad (white) guys got "sent to Marianna". I knew four who went there and came back. They didn't talk about it much but the only rehab they got there was an overwhelming desire to not get sent back. This was in the late 1950's. In about 1962 I happened to get into a conversation with a 17 year-old that was in custody, waiting transport to a full time prison. He was lobbying to go to the adult prison at Raiford, he said he wasn't going back to Marianna if he could help it.

I saw a documentary on this reform school couple years ago. From that documentary, it seemed they were having a hard time separating legend from facts. If more people talked about it, their acts would be more transparent. This plot would make for a great Hollywood thriller if done right.

I saw a documentary on this reform school couple years ago. From that documentary, it seemed they were having a hard time separating legend from facts. If more people talked about it, their acts would be more transparent. This plot would make for a great Hollywood thriller if done right.

Considering this place lasted until 2010, I'll be surprised it the state of Florida gets to the bottom of it.

I'd like to see a Federal investigation.

Archived