USA Today: Nick Saban breaks out excuses

meh130

Nick Saban breaks out lame excuses for Alabama's lame finish last season

Here's a hint for Alabama coach Nick Saban, who used part of his time with the news media Wednesday to theorize about what went so wrong for the Crimson Tide last season in the three weeks between their conference championship game victory and their College Football Playoff flop.

No Nick, it wasn't because your underclassmen received NFL draft grades and the ones who got good news were no longer interested in playing hard or risking injury.

No Nick, it wasn't because you played an up-tempo offense and your team ran out of gas.

Here's what happened. Ohio State happened. Urban Meyer happened. Cardale Jones happened. And the sooner Saban accepts that, the better chance Alabama has of returning to college football dominance.

More

Saban is constantly crying about something. The bump rule, the game is too fast, the rule against domestic violence transfers, 9 conference games, Draft grade release dates, etc.

None of the other coaches even pay attention to his whining any more.

Saban is so set in his ways withj his belief that if something goes wrong, somebody other than him messed up. he seems to think what he says is the only right way whether it works, makes sense or not.

That is the weakest excuse i've heard from a football coach in my life! Wasn't OSU dealing with the same issues? Give me a fricking break!

Saban is so set in his ways withj his belief that if something goes wrong, somebody other than him messed up. he seems to think what he says is the only right way whether it works, makes sense or not.

Pretty much. He NEVER puts any of the blame on himself. NEVER!

That is the weakest excuse i've heard from a football coach in my life! Wasn't OSU dealing with the same issues? Give me a fricking break!

I wonder why this excuse is just now

Being brought up? Didn't he have players drafted last year too? Why wasn't that the reason OU spanked their behinds? Hmmm. He is running out of excuses.

This is because he has always used the rules to work to his advantage, IMO this is partly why he has done so well in college football. He constantly bends the rules, but doesn't necessarly break them.

Lil nickie (with more talent than OSU) was out-coached, and out-adjusted, after jumping-out to a two score lead... That is what happened!

Did UAT players only start caring about draft grades at halftime? How did they jump out to a nice lead?

Of course no in-state sports reporter will ask "wee man" these kinds of questions. Surprised he didn't say: "I had them slow down in the second half, due to fear of injury".

I would especially not be making excuses when the team that defeated me was playing with their 3rd string quarterback due to injuries.

Archived