Basketball Roster Update Notes

kwren34

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, hard to tell since we've not seen him play at this weight, but in general I like where this is going.

As noted, needs to improve his endurance....this should help....and basically he was only moderately successful MO as a "banger" because of his lack of height and limited jumping ability from a flat footed position. He will be plenty big enough to go to the hoop at 250.

Well, hard to tell since we've not seen him play at this weight, but in general I like where this is going.

M

As noted, needs to improve his endurance....this should help....and basically he was only moderately successful MO as a "banger" because of his lack of height and limited jumping ability from a flat footed position. He will be plenty big enough to go to the hoop at 250.

moderately successful as a banger lol. Tell the white kid from Bama that. Cimeon threw him down like a rag doll. Cimeon was an expert at throwing around his weight down low! Now that doesn't necessarily mean he was a great low post player because he did miss a thousand putback shots.

It could be good, like I always said what coach pearl wants from him is to play like Draymon Green and he too went through a body change like this. He's not doing this for banging or any of that though, he's doing this for two reasons, defensive versatility and to be able to push the ball more off of rebounds....I hope everybody shuts up about it now because it's going to happen even more, between him and Harris.

M

moderately successful as a banger lol. Tell the white kid from Bama that. Cimeon threw him down like a rag doll. Cimeon was an expert at throwing around his weight down low! Now that doesn't necessarily mean he was a great low post player because he did miss a thousand putback shots.

No they really don't think he was too good. They really didn't realize his value and the indirect things he did that actually effected the team.

The first thing the pros did with Barkley was make him lose 40 pounds. It was shocking, how much better he was when he wasn't so "round".

If Bowers can improve his ball handling skills as much as he's improved his body fat percentage there won't be much noise about him leading fast breaks. If he continues to dribble it off his toe like he was doing last year, there will be even more noise about it and I'll be one of the loudest.

The first thing the pros did with Barkley was make him lose 40 pounds. It was shocking, how much better he was when he wasn't so "round".

If Bowers can improve his ball handling skills as much as he's improved his body fat percentage there won't be much noise about him leading fast breaks. If he continues to dribble it off his toe like he was doing last year, there will be even more noise about it and I'll be one of the loudest.

I myself would have to see some stats because games I watched wasn't anywhere near as bad as some of you make it out to be. But I don't care how gifted of a ball handler you are, you will have turnovers, part of the game. Tempo that coach wants us to run you will have even more.

One thing for sure that the naysayers can't deny but will never bring up....coach wants more of it and he's pretty successful. Apparently the opportunities and mismatches created is worth the turnovers. Apparently it's more helpful than harmful

No doubt in my mind he will be a better player because of the weight loss. At his height and new weight he is still a big man and will still be able to bang plus in addition to endurance and quickness he might even jump a little higher. I am sure coach has been working on his ball handling so he can still push it but with fewer turnovers. Like somebody said when you pick up the pace turnovers are inevitable you have to cut them down enough so the easy baskets out weigh the turnovers. Like cole26 I think he was better then many people think. He dominated early in season then because we had no other inside presence teams adjusted to him. This year he will have inside help and it will show.

No doubt in my mind he will be a better player because of the weight loss. At his height and new weight he is still a big man and will still be able to bang plus in addition to endurance and quickness he might even jump a little higher. I am sure coach has been working on his ball handling so he can still push it but with fewer turnovers. Like somebody said when you pick up the pace turnovers are inevitable you have to cut them down enough so the easy baskets out weigh the turnovers. Like cole26 I think he was better then many people think. He dominated early in season then because we had no other inside presence teams adjusted to him. This year he will have inside help and it will show.

plus 5

I just don't want him to fall in love with the perimeter, it's a very fine line and a lot of responsibility to do what he's being asked to do. To be truly effective he has to be a decent shooter out to around the three point line.so you have to shoot some for the offense to work but they still need to be good shots.

I myself would have to see some stats because games I watched wasn't anywhere near as bad as some of you make it out to be. But I don't care how gifted of a ball handler you are, you will have turnovers, part of the game. Tempo that coach wants us to run you will have even more.

One thing for sure that the naysayers can't deny but will never bring up....coach wants more of it and he's pretty successful. Apparently the opportunities and mismatches created is worth the turnovers. Apparently it's more helpful than harmful

pearl wants bowers to push the ball up the court. everyone should take the time to listen to coach in the interviews AFTER the games. Amazing insight into what he wants and doesn't want. He flat said he wants bowers pushing the ball ... heck, i'll make this easy ... everything that cole256 has said - that is what pearl wants from bowers. pretty much that simple. the after game interviews are enlightening. very raw and honest. i have become a huge pearl fan because of his open, frankness and his desire to teach. he has gone on and on about his desires to teach not only the basketball players, but any students who are interested in basketball.

Only thing I worry about is I hope Bowers does not fall in love with the perimeter, he will have a big responsibility. He will need to be able to hit shots out to the three point line for the offense to reach it's full potential. Also what nobody really has talked about is if he becomes a good passer could shoot the offense into another stratosphere as well.

I just dread reading the he did this threads whenever he makes a mistake to be honest...Wish people could see and understand the big picture. When I was watching the finals Draymon Green would at times take shots or try passes that I would scream what are you doing, and it would stand out in my mind. By the end of the game his stat line would be something like 18pts 9rebs and 7asst....yeah I wish you wouldn't have had 5to's but that's well worth it

Pearl stated, in one of the post game interview, that he wants the guys playing loose and playing "their" game. He is gonna let these guys "go". Particularly if it is hustle/effort "mistakes".

The other team is completely hosed with bowers coming down the floor with the ball. If he can get a pass to a good perimeter shooter, go to the basket or shoot himself ... Hard on the other team.

My primary criticism is not necessarily the occasional errant pass but sometimes knowing when something simply isn't there and giving the ball to a ball handler. Not every break that he leads needs to be a highlight. If they all can be, then by all means I hope he goes for it. My guess is he will be a better decision maker in that regard. Bet we see some exciting bowers led breaks this year that makes everybody remember barkley

Only thing I worry about is I hope Bowers does not fall in love with the perimeter, he will have a big responsibility. He will need to be able to hit shots out to the three point line for the offense to reach it's full potential. Also what nobody really has talked about is if he becomes a good passer could shoot the offense into another stratosphere as well.

I just dread reading the he did this threads whenever he makes a mistake to be honest...Wish people could see and understand the big picture. When I was watching the finals Draymon Green would at times take shots or try passes that I would scream what are you doing, and it would stand out in my mind. By the end of the game his stat line would be something like 18pts 9rebs and 7asst....yeah I wish you wouldn't have had 5to's but that's well worth it

If Cinmeon averages 18/9/7, no one will complain about 5 to's.

He would be an NBA pick if he did that, I don't know if he's an NBA talent or not. But they complained about him averaging twelve and ten so I don't know

• 3 weeks later...

Any news on Purifoy? I hope he plays this season.

Starts classes tomorrow
AUBURN - Danjel Purifoy, one of the jewel's of Auburn's 2015 basketball recruiting class, is on campus and will start classes Monday morning.

Purifoy, a 4-star, has done all that was required of him to become eligible and is awaiting final clearance. There is little doubt in the Auburn basketball program that he will be cleared and eligible for the 2015-2016 season.

Evidently Purifoy is enrolled and practicing but it is still unclear if he will be eligible or not.

Creg Stephenson@CregStephenson 18m18 minutes ago

Pearl adds Danjel Purifoy "enrolled & practicing with the team," but can't say if he'll be eligible to play this season.

JMO but if both Reed and Purifoy don't play, things are going to be tough for the Tigers this year....

JMO but if both Reed and Purifoy don't play, things are going to be tough for the Tigers this year....

If both those guys are unavailable it changes things. We may still make some progress, but it will be small steps forward, not any leaps and bounds.

Yep. Losing those two for the season would be a bummer. I sure would like to know what the hang up is if Purifoy is already practicing and enrolled.

Yep. Losing those two for the season would be a bummer. I sure would like to know what the hang up is if Purifoy is already practicing and enrolled.

If it is an academic issue, can he be on the team, just not play until he gets a better gpa? he could be enrolled on a probationary status because of his grades in high school and have the probation lifted when he gets better grades in college

Thought reed was out till January? Kinda like last year? Would mean he would be way behind in January from a skill perspective but at least he has sized up some.

Does not seem like a stereotypical way to playing time ... (Yes, that would be sarcasm ...)

If it is an academic issue, can he be on the team, just not play until he gets a better gpa? he could be enrolled on a probationary status because of his grades in high school and have the probation lifted when he gets better grades in college

JMO but it would be nearly a miracle for him to have his academics in good shape before he got here...moved from school to school and I'm wondering how he even got admitted unless on some contingency basis.

Guess like in the case with Reed...BP probably figures if he can get him in school he can eventually get him eligible too. Have to say that I'm not real happy with efforts to build a competitive team this way however.

Well that sucks since Purifoy was already the most untalented player we had...Also the versatility he offers as far as team defense was just as big as anything....

Well that sucks since Purifoy was already the most untalented player we had...Also the versatility he offers as far as team defense was just as big as anything....

Typo....or comment?

Archived