How Malzahn courted Muschamp

RunInRed

Malzahn explained his process of convincing Muschamp to take the Auburn coordinator job during an interview with SiriusXM's College Sports Nation at SEC Media Days.

"When I decided to make a change after the Alabama game, you look at who is out there," Malzahn told the satellite radio program. "It was about that time he was a guy I wanted. He was trying to figure out everything and what he wanted to do, so I was pretty patient.

"I flew to Gainesville late one night, we sat down and I tried to sell the vision of, hey, we've had one of the most productive offenses in college football the last nine years. He's the best defensive mind in all of football and I think if you combine those two we've got the chance to do something special. Then you add the fact he's been to Auburn before, his family likes it there, I thought it was a win-win and so we're blessed to have him as our defensive coordinator."

"We hit some road blocks, we had trouble rushing the passer and all that," Malzahn said. "As a head coach, each year you evaluate everything. How can we get better? How can we give our guys the best chance of winning a championship? I just felt like we needed to make a change and, like I said, we got the best guy out there. The future for Auburn football with Will Muschamp and our offense, we think, is very exciting."

http://www.al.com/au..._on_the_la.html

Constants are rare in any sport, but if our offense can remain constant with that it's done over the Malzahn years and the defense average just two more stops per game, Gus will be correct with his "The future of Auburn football will be very exciting" statement.

Gus knew his career was riding on coach EJ and it was killing him. His offense was producing and we were losing winnable games. Malzahn is too competitive to let it continue down that path. In comes his second opportunity to hire a DC. He did not disappoint. COACH BOOM!!!!

Gus and Rhette hung 44 points and 600 yards on bammer/Saban at their own house. That's pretty darn productive if you ask me. A defense with a pulse and that game is a blowout. That's how you know when a new D coordinator is needed.

Gus and Rhette hung 44 points and 600 yards on bammer/Saban at their own house. That's pretty darn productive if you ask me. A defense with a pulse and that game is a blowout. That's how you know when a new D coordinator is needed.

Don't overlook the fact that we were inside the 20 FIVE fimes and we had to settle for FG's. As good as we were on offense, we still have get more productive inside the redzone. 5 fg's inside the 20 is really inexcusable for our offense.

Don't overlook the fact that we were inside the 20 FIVE fimes and we had to settle for FG's. As good as we were on offense, we still have get more productive inside the redzone. 5 fg's inside the 20 is really inexcusable for our offense.

Geez, I didn't remember that. Very good point; at the same time though, you hang 44 points on anyone and you should have a victory.

Anytime you hang 44 on any team and in their back yard, you should be able to win. Ellis lost that game. I'm glad he's gone and Will is back home on the Plains.

Seems like the Iron Bowl was the last straw for even CEJ's most devout defenders. Tough to justify not making a change when you blow a 15 point second half lead in the Turd's own house. I'm thankful for the good work CEJ did, but oh so optimistic for what's in store.

IMO Muschamp on staff again is just a continuation of an amazing line of defensive minds at Auburn since 1981. If you look at their body of work on the Plains and elsewhere, Dye, Tubberville, Muschamp, Chizik (then Muschamp again) are/were the defensive minds of their generations. Throw in Petrino and Gus' offensive abilities and it's amazing we don't have more titles since '81.

I knew a new D coordinator was needed after the UGA loss, heck I started seriously questioning things after the MSU loss and when we barely squeeked by USCe and OleMiss.

Seems like the Iron Bowl was the last straw for even CEJ's most devout defenders. Tough to justify not making a change when you blow a 15 point second half lead in the Turd's own house. I'm thankful for the good work CEJ did, but oh so optimistic for what's in store.

Agreed. I still believe that Johnson isn't getting anywhere near the credit he should for teaching the players fundamentals to lay a solid foundation which had been lost under Chizik, and it was far less his coaching and far more the lack of a consistent pass rush from the front four that did us in last year...but there's no doubt we needed fresh blood. Laying a solid foundation is one thing, but building upon it is quite another. The fire that Muschamp has brought with him, along with teaching things in a different way, seems to have made several of the things Johnson taught start to click into place as to why he was teaching it.

Agree. Our offense is great no doubt but watching the previous games on the SECN and online the past two weeks our redzone offense certainly needs to be better this year. That's a scary thought considering the numbers we did put up. Watched the Texas A&M game tonight and there was a lot of missed redzone opportunities in that game as well.

Seemed like our playbook/options shrunk when we got in the redzone. That's what i'd like to the offense improve on for sure but I think with JJ being a better passer should take care some of that. We also have to eliminate mental errors with penalties on offense....many where drive killers at key points in a game. Again not to be too critical or anything....just interesting to think that we could've been even better on offense if we were more efficient in the redzone. Can't put all the pressure on offense so it's way past time for the defense to help out more.

When i was surrounded by 8 and 10 year olds pee wee football players analyzing the game...saying why doesn't he double or jam Cooper...do something to make adjustments...yep...i knew it pretty much a wrap for EJ. I think after that game everybody knew.

so if we scored 56 we win. Got it.

Archived