Braxton Miller to switch to WR

WFE12

Pete Thamel -S.I.com -

The idea of switching to wide receiver first came to Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller in April, when he discussed it with strength coach Mickey Marotti. In May, he brought up the possibility to coach Urban Meyer and the two began watching film of star wide receivers together. Later that month, Miller began sneaking on the practice field at night to catch balls from quarterback J.T. Barrett. Miller kept the potential switch from quarterback to receiver secret, a fallback plan in case he couldn’t return fully healthy to playing quarterback after two shoulder surgeries, the latter which caused him to miss all of last season.

Miller’s fallback plan has become a reality, as he told SI.com on Thursday night that he plans to start the 2015 season playing H-Back—a hybrid receiver position—for the Buckeyes. Miller hasn’t completely closed the door on playing quarterback, as he estimates that he’ll spend 80% of the time during training camp at receiver and 20% with the quarterbacks. But Miller said with more than two months until he’ll be completely healthy at quarterback, he’s approaching this season as primarily a wide receiver.

I doubt that. He's an unbelievable athlete. This isn't a guy with borderline speed or size. He's big, fast, and shifty. He might've been correct when he called himself the best athlete in college football.

I suspect this will look more like Randle-El or Josh Cribbs than name-that-bust. Heck he could be the next Hines Ward (who did start a game or two at QB for UGA). Best of luck to the guy. Those three dudes (Miller, Barrett, and Jones) have shown real leadership and buy-in for Urban. No wonder they are winning games.

I doubt that. He's an unbelievable athlete. This isn't a guy with borderline speed or size. He's big, fast, and shifty. He might've been correct when he called himself the best athlete in college football.

He is nowhere near as big as his listed height/weight, and while he is a good athlete, you'll find that he will suddenly be nowhere near as athletic playing WR. Every athlete looks more impressive running around from under shotgun when there is space to move around and a threat to pass the ball. Best athlete in college football? That is an absolute joke.

He is nowhere near as big as his listed height/weight, and while he is a good athlete, you'll find that he will suddenly be nowhere near as athletic playing WR. Every athlete looks more impressive running around from under shotgun when there is space to move around and a threat to pass the ball. Best athlete in college football? That is an absolute joke.

Who would you say the best athlete in CFB is? Not disputing your claim on Miller, just curious.

Who would you say the best athlete in CFB is? Not disputing your claim on Miller, just curious.

That CB for Va Tech is mighty close

^This (and not in a post count-padding way)

I know there was a great possibility that cardale would start even with braxton playing qb but now that it is pretty much certain, I'm kind of scared Ohio State now...they still have ezekiel elliott and Bosa on the D-line and lots of other talent

I know there was a great possibility that cardale would start even with braxton playing qb but now that it is pretty much certain, I'm kind of scared Ohio State now...they still have ezekiel elliott and Bosa on the D-line and lots of other talent

And they play a garbage schedule. They're pretty much a lock for the playoff already.

meta, I'll bet a dollar to a donut you're wrong on Miller's size. He's a legit 6'1"-2" and 215 lbs. He's not listed that large, but that's a pretty big receiver. I'll bet you he hits both of those numbers at the combine.

For context on how good an athlete Miller is, he was once hand-clocked at 4.32 in the forty. Now, that's a hand time so it's questionable, and we always see an uptick at the combine, but for comparison, the same times listed Devin Smith (2nd round WR in last year's draft) at 4.33. He ran a 4.42 at the combine. If Miller, at 6'2"ish and 215ish, runs a 4.42 at the combine, he's going to make a TON of money. The only guys with similar measureables in last year's draft were Kevin White and Chris Conley. Only six WRs ran a faster 40, and three of them (Nelson, Dorsett, and Lockett) were mighty mites.

Make no mistake about it, Miller is an incredible athlete. He's every bit the athlete Hines Ward was.

And they play a garbage schedule. They're pretty much a lock for the playoff already.

Now you know they have the mighty Hokies on the road? BaHahaha!

There are currently 6 to 8 teams in the SEC that finish the season undefeated or with one loss (possibly to Mich St.) if they were to have Ohio State's schedule.

Now you know they have the mighty Hokies on the road? BaHahaha!

There are currently 6 to 8 teams in the SEC that finish the season undefeated or with one loss (possibly to Mich St.) if they were to have Ohio State's schedule.

They did lose to VT last year at home last year. That said, I don't see them repeating it this year.

Much like FSU last year (except tOSU is actually good). The rest of the field will be competing for the final 3 slots.

Miller at WR just boosted tOSU people get off your high horse and look at it from a football perspective.

meta, I'll bet a dollar to a donut you're wrong on Miller's size. He's a legit 6'1"-2" and 215 lbs. He's not listed that large, but that's a pretty big receiver. I'll bet you he hits both of those numbers at the combine.

For context on how good an athlete Miller is, he was once hand-clocked at 4.32 in the forty. Now, that's a hand time so it's questionable, and we always see an uptick at the combine, but for comparison, the same times listed Devin Smith (2nd round WR in last year's draft) at 4.33. He ran a 4.42 at the combine. If Miller, at 6'2"ish and 215ish, runs a 4.42 at the combine, he's going to make a TON of money. The only guys with similar measureables in last year's draft were Kevin White and Chris Conley. Only six WRs ran a faster 40, and three of them (Nelson, Dorsett, and Lockett) were mighty mites.

Make no mistake about it, Miller is an incredible athlete. He's every bit the athlete Hines Ward was.

he's no Hines Ward. We've yet to see him play WR. Lots of assumptions being thrown out because he's a running dual threat qb.

He may have hands like a linebacker though

I doubt we're going to see Miller running many real routes. I bet most of his touches will come on jet sweeps, wildcat carries, punt returns, and a few screen passes. So really, he won't have to have hands like Duke Williams to be effective. With all that being said though, I'll still be surprised if he finds the end zone more than 5 times this year without a move back to QB.

Much like FSU last year (except tOSU is actually good). The rest of the field will be competing for the final 3 slots.

Agree with y'all. No objective observer could have watched the way they closed out the season and not acknowledge that they were the best team in the country down the stretch. Yes, they had the bad loss early, but I seem to remember one of the teams playing in the 2013 BCSCG having a bad loss early...

Anyway, they're likely coming back stronger. I hope we get a chance to play them.

I'd love a crack at them as well. Means our season was dreamy. Plus, I always want to beat the champ head-to-head (as we did in 2010 and 2013).

• 1 month later...

It's going to be interested to see what his numbers are at the end of the season if he stays healthy. I think he'll put up some big digits.

Some crow needs to be served....dude looks great

Yeah, so I was very wrong. He was the best player on the field tonight. And that spin move...

He's an elite athlete with plus size. He'd be a stud at QB, RB, WR, Safety, and he could probably add weight to play LB. He's going to be a weapon all year long, and he'll get paid in the spring.

Archived