Give love to Nick Marshall….

tigerman1186

Even though we lost both games that were shown on the SEC network yesterday (TAM and bama), I was so amazed how many times Nick made + yards out of nothing….I know there is a lot of hype for JJ at QB and because of our offensive coaches, I just hope he has the 'will to win' that Nick did….listening to a podcast today, one of the fellows said that without Nick we would not have won more than 6 games his first year, forget about ever getting to the SEC championship game…I know last year didn't achieve the level as it did the previous season, but I hope we don't forget Nick….

Even though we lost both games that were shown on the SEC network yesterday (TAM and bama), I was so amazed how many times Nick made + yards out of nothing….I know there is a lot of hype for JJ at QB and because of our offensive coaches, I just hope he has the 'will to win' that Nick did….listening to a podcast today, one of the fellows said that without Nick we would not have won more than 6 games his first year, forget about ever getting to the SEC championship game…I know last year didn't achieve the level as it did the previous season, but I hope we don't forget Nick….

2013 was a thing of beauty. I'll never forget Nick Marshall or the many other players that made that season special.

I always liked the guy and never thought it was fair how much criticism he received last season. The guy was a true competitor.

Nick Marshall was possibly my favorite player to ever come to Auburn. (And yes I watched Cam Newton in all of his glory and he is a close second). But something about Marshall was just special to me. He was a product of Auburn. He used the school to turn his life around. We as Auburn fans have never been lower than 2012 and he came in and made Auburn something special in 2013. He was so much fun to watch and turned out to be a fantastic leader. I have met him and Cam who are polar opposite personalities but Marshall, just like Cam, has something special about him. Nothing made me more angry than hearing stupid people making fun of how he spoke. (especially when it was a Bammer who didn't know the difference between his sister and his wife). He's just a kind and collective guy who brought Auburn back from the depths and destroyed defenses. Nick Marshall will always be a special player to me and I struggle seeing someone dethroning him as my favorite Auburn athlete. Marshall gets very little credit for the turn around in 2013 because Malzahn gets it all but none of it would have happened if not for Marshall.

So in the end I just want to say thank you Nick Marshall for all you did for Auburn and I am sure you will continue to represent Auburn well on and off the football field. War Eagle! :wareagle:

The guy is a winner. I don't think his passing was a bad as some make it out to be and he was certainly fun to watch!

Hell of competitor at any position he's played . . .

. . .just think of what he would have of done for the 'D".

I appreciated what Nick did for us and the fact that he made plays that seemed impossible and he never quit and maybe he was the best thing for us at the time. I just never saw the growth from him as a passer. You can watch nearly every single game and say two things during it... 1 is Nick marshal is amazing running the ball and keeping the drive going and #2. I cant believe he missed that wide open WR. For all the good he did do, and it was a lot and I am truly thankful, he missed a wide open WR who likely would have scored in almost every game and I mean every game. He was responsible for a lot of scores but missed may also. Plus I just don't like running Qbs. As good as his numbers were I bet he could have 15 to 20 more career passing TDs if he was more accurate and made better decisions.

When people talk about the miracle game against Georgia, I think of the fact that Nick missed the wide open WR the play was designed for and heaved it deep into double coverage. I thank him for what he did. He was a winner but I am glad to be moving on.

Even if we don't have success right away I believe we will be much tougher to defend. Few teams could stop Nick running but the ones who could or atleast slow him down beat us because we could not capitalize on the easy shots down field we took. We don't need Jeremy to light it up. Run the ball and complete the easy throws when they come up and defenses wont be able to stop us.

I don't disagree with you but he did turn the program around. I'm not blind, I realize he wasn't the best QB ever but would we be where we are without him? I doubt it. I feel like the success of 2013 revamped the program so we can be excited about the future. This is a positive thread towards Marshall get this negativity out of here! haha

Completion percentage isnt all on the QB. I can think of quite a few wide open drops on big plays that would have made his stats look a heck of a lot better. Rarely did he make a poor throw. A few of his passes to CJ were things of beauty and the throw down the sideline to Marcus Davis during the A&M game (2013) was just spectacular. The only time I can ever recall him making a bad play was the fumble at the goal line last year against A&M. He should have handed that ball off and he knows it - but IMO he got greedy for the first and only time while he was at AU.

I agree with you. I don't think we would have had the success we did with out him. Like I said I am truly thankful for him and he was our best option then. His good outweighed the bad and I am glad we had him.

(especially when it was a Bammer who didn't know the difference between his sister and his wife)

Trick question!

I've been critical of Nick's passing. I'll remain critical of it. But I've also been very complimentary of Nick as a quarterback and will remain so. I'll always be grateful he landed on the Plains.

(especially when it was a Bammer who didn't know the difference between his sister and his wife)

Trick question!

I've been critical of Nick's passing. I'll remain critical of it. But I've also been very complimentary of Nick as a quarterback and will remain so. I'll always be grateful he landed on the Plains.

Perfectly stated, imo.

Here are 3 things about Nick Marshall that I will never forget.

1. Determined

2. Tough

3. Competitor

On top of that, his ability to focus was pretty incredible. My guess is that coaching was a big part of that. Still, Nick was the one who brought it to the field.

I think he and Tre Mason were a deadly combination in 2013, and it was truly astonishing watching the read option being executed on that high of a level. However, I still believe Johnson was the better option for our personnel last year. One of my biggest pet peaves was our receivers inability to turn screens into positive yardage due to poor placement of the ball, which I know has been discussed previously on the board . Though my judgement may be rash, this paired with intermediate passes thrown too high that our receivers outside of Duke rarely caught is what killed many of our drives last year. I appreciate the playmaker that Nick Marshall was, but I believe Johnson's accuracy will facilitate our playmaking ability to the next level.

For the record, I believe Louis will be a force on those screens.

I think he and Tre Mason were a deadly combination in 2013, and it was truly astonishing watching the read option being executed on that high of a level. However, I still believe Johnson was the better option for our personnel last year. One of my biggest pet peaves was our receivers inability to turn screens into positive yardage due to poor placement of the ball, which I know has been discussed previously on the board . Though my judgement may be rash, this paired with intermediate passes thrown too high that our receivers outside of Duke rarely caught is what killed many of our drives last year. I appreciate the playmaker that Nick Marshall was, but I believe Johnson's accuracy will facilitate our playmaking ability to the next level.

I tend to agree with this view, but I also think some are undervaluing what NM did with his legs. JJ might be a fantastic passer, but we don't know if his passing will bring that same level of pop to the offense that NM's legs did. In theory, it should but it is so hard to gameplan for a QB that had the skillset NM had. I probably could have expressed myself better here but it's 4pm on Friday lol

Nick's decision-making was always correct.

He rushed the execution of throwing the ball a couple times and the results were poor.

But there is no doubt his unique skillset made opposing defenses and fans miserable.

Gus had the right man on the field.

I tend to agree with this view, but I also think some are undervaluing what NM did with his legs. JJ might be a fantastic passer, but we don't know if his passing will bring that same level of pop to the offense that NM's legs did. In theory, it should but it is so hard to gameplan for a QB that had the skillset NM had. I probably could have expressed myself better here but it's 4pm on Friday lol

I guess what I am banking on is that's Johnson's perceived ability to "fall forward" and gain at least a few yards with his feet, and his ability to let our receivers make plays will compensate for his inability to be as a dynamic runner as Marshall was. I see more sustainable drives this year with fewer plays resulting in no yards.

just saw the td pass to sammie with 1:24 left in the 2nd in the old miss game replay, man that was a great pass

Interesting discussion Sirus XM today....suggesting that if Nick M had played CB and JJ had played QB last year that everyone, especially Nick, would have been better off because NM would have been drafted this year instead of going the FA route and having to prove he can still play the position. They made some good points IMO.

Interesting discussion Sirus XM today....suggesting that if Nick M had played CB and JJ had played QB last year that everyone, especially Nick, would have been better off because NM would have been drafted this year instead of going the FA route and having to prove he can still play the position. They made some good points IMO.

ya, think ?

Hell of competitor at any position he's played . . .

. . .just think of what he would have of done for the 'D".

Watching the same Alabama game and it is really hard to believe that these runs weren't just designed gives. Nick had a couple long runs that he would've taken last (LAST) year. I guess you can say that about a lot of games this year tho

like the other guy said, that's obvious

I think there's quite a few things that this forum probably noted during the season that some analysts are now just pointing out

Archived