Take Your Guns To A Movie?

icanthearyou

Say four armed citizens had been scattered about the Colorado theater. A lot of lives could have been saved. Same thing elsewhere. Any "gun free zone" is nothing but a notice to the madman that says "do it here". Just as convenience stores with a "No guns inside" sign are saying "Rob me with confidence and security".

The 2nd amendment is the law of the land, it should be followed.

Yeah, start a firefight in the movie theatre!

No. The firing was already started by the madman. The responsible armed citizen causes the shooting to cease before the madman continues to kill others.

In a perfect world sure. You never know the consequences of arming the so called responsible civilians. What if there were two bad guys in the movie theatre and two armed citizens. Now you have a firefight in a dark movie theatre.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say four armed citizens had been scattered about the Colorado theater. A lot of lives could have been saved. Same thing elsewhere. Any "gun free zone" is nothing but a notice to the madman that says "do it here". Just as convenience stores with a "No guns inside" sign are saying "Rob me with confidence and security".

No. The firing was already started by the madman. The responsible armed citizen causes the shooting to cease before the madman continues to kill others.

The "responsible armed citizen" likely shoots a few people running in multiple directions across his field of vision (and fire) while fleeing before killing the madman. We do not need more armed citizens, we need more armed and trained citizens.

For the record, my thoughts on concealed carry are thus:

I think a competence and proficiency testing procedure should exist to ensure that those with a license to carry a concealed firearm are not likely to be more hazardous to a given situation than the threat they may be responding to. Training and demonstrated ability should be necessary in order to pass it, and those that do so should be allowed to carry a firearm anywhere they may go (aside from bars). I am not talking about firearm safety courses, I am talking about demonstrated ability to employ and control a firearm for defense of self or others.

That just makes too much sense to work.

Indeed, what do I know? I'm just a guy that likely has more invested in firearms and ammunition than many have invested in their cars. I'm probably the only person on this board that legally owns automatic weapons. I'm the biggest firearm enthusiast here, and even I understand that arming more people or even everyone with reckless abandon is not a good idea. At the very least, the same standards of military qualification should apply.

What do you own?

I think a competence and proficiency testing procedure should exist to ensure that those with a license to carry a concealed firearm are not likely to be more hazardous to a given situation than the threat they may be responding to. Training and demonstrated ability should be necessary in order to pass it, and those that do so should be allowed to carry a firearm anywhere they may go (aside from bars). I am not talking about firearm safety courses, I am talking about demonstrated ability to employ and control a firearm for defense of self or others.

Indeed, what do I know? I'm just a guy that likely has more invested in firearms and ammunition than many have invested in their cars. I'm probably the only person on this board that legally owns automatic weapons. I'm the biggest firearm enthusiast here, and even I understand that arming more people or even everyone with reckless abandon is not a good idea. At the very least, the same standards of military qualification should apply.

What do you own?

Total collection, or automatic weapons?

What do you own?

Total is even better.

The "responsible armed citizen" likely shoots a few people running in multiple directions across his field of vision (and fire) while fleeing before killing the madman. We do not need more armed citizens, we need more armed and trained citizens.

No he doesn't. The responsible armed citizen will not fire random shots willy-nilly. You say you practice, wasn't "don't put your finger on the trigger until the target is acquired" drilled into you at some time in the past?

Y'all are thinking that the good guy with the gun is going to behave like a fifth-grader with a water pistol. I don't agree. If I'm ever in a theater or similar place without my weapon I sincerely hope 10 others just like me are in there and armed at a time of need.

What do you own?

Total is even better.

Two Vietnam bringback AK's that I inherited, one mated to a Norinco receiver and the other modified to work with a Yugo M70 underfolder. One M16A1 configured basically as an M4A1. That covers the automatic weapons. The rest is a pair of Romanian SAR-1's, two Yugo M70's, an AMD-65, three Glock 30's, two H&K USP Compacts, and 10 Russian SKS's. My dad left a few bolt-action hunting rifles, but I don't bother counting those as I almost never shoot them.

This is not a problem that can be addressed at the time someone starts shooting. The problem has already occurred by that time.

This is something that has to be addressed before that happens, not after. The problem we have is with gun access by people who have no business possessing a gun.

The problem has already been addressed before someone starts shooting. It was addressed when a few normal people took their guns with them when they left home.

No he doesn't. The responsible armed citizen will not fire random shots willy-nilly. You say you practice, wasn't "don't put your finger on the trigger until the target is acquired" drilled into you at some time in the past?

Y'all are thinking that the good guy with the gun is going to behave like a fifth-grader with a water pistol. I don't agree. If I'm ever in a theater or similar place without my weapon I sincerely hope 10 others just like me are in there and armed at a time of need.

My experience seeing the "average" shooter at the range is that they either indeed behave like a fifth-grader with a water pistol, or they shoot little better than said fifth-grader. You may have better faith in your neighbor, for whatever reason, but I've observed your neighbor shooting a firearm (without the pressure of an actual shooting), and I was disappointed.

now you really have a problem. ...a dark theater, The shooter starts firing. You and ten other draw weapons to be the hero and you take him out. The other heroes see a flame come out of your weapon and return fire at you. All meaning well but lack of training and tactical expertise can make for a worse situation. I agree with strychnine. people who can't respond to the threat correctly are likely to make it worse.

I've got more trust in a neighbor that's trying to do the right thing than I have in some terrorist or wacko that's trying to kill everybody he sees. My neighbor (or myself) having to shoot in a public place is not a good thing, but it beats the devil out of the bad guy with the gun having free time and access to do as he pleases.

What do you own?

Total is even better.

Two Vietnam bringback AK's that I inherited, one mated to a Norinco receiver and the other modified to work with a Yugo M70 underfolder. One M16A1 configured basically as an M4A1. That covers the automatic weapons. The rest is a pair of Romanian SAR-1's, two Yugo M70's, an AMD-65, three Glock 30's, two H&K USP Compacts, and 10 Russian SKS's. My dad left a few bolt-action hunting rifles, but I don't bother counting those as I almost never shoot them.

Nice collection. Sounds like you are preparing for a zombiecalypse or something lol.

From my experience with a CWP class, that's pretty funny.

now you really have a problem. ...a dark theater, The shooter starts firing. You and ten other draw weapons to be the hero and you take him out. The other heroes see a flame come out of your weapon and return fire at you. All meaning well but lack of training and tactical expertise can make for a worse situation. I agree with strychnine. people who can't respond to the threat correctly are likely to make it worse.

You've got to back way, way up and rethink. Nobody wants to be a hero. The point of having a weapon with you is to avoid disaster. If you think people with CCW permits want to be heroes you are way, way off base..

What do you own?

Total is even better.

Nice collection. Sounds like you are preparing for a zombiecalypse or something lol.

i suggest insurance one each, if you don't already.

You've got to back way, way up and rethink. Nobody wants to be a hero. The point of having a weapon with you is to avoid disaster. If you think people with CCW permits want to be heroes you are way, way off base..

He obviously meant there could be ten people ready to pull the trigger on the guy. Wanting to be a hero or not, if ten people pull the trigger, bad things would happen.

What do you own?

Total is even better.

Just an enthusiast. The automatics get fairly little workout, as I cannot take them to the range without everyone and their brother wanting their chance to shoot a "machinegun". Incidentally, they're currently on the market. Automatic AK's are basically useless. Even 3-round bursts have dreadful accuracy.

My primary carry weapon is the Glock 30. The one that I carry has roughly 50,000 rounds through it. I trust it with my life, and the life of anyone around me.

What do you own?

Total is even better.

I'd like to see it broken down by caliber/cartridge if you don't mind.

(j/k) ;D

Share your humor. What in this discussion makes you think a responsible citizen will START the shooting? It's all been about response to an attack by some idiot. So what's funny?

if ten people in a theater are armed I would be shocked if more than two are competent enough to take action. I hope like hell those two are there for my family if this tradegy ever takes place. If you don't think there are well meaning people who are missing a few marbles that are looking for a good reason to be a hero you are mistaken.

He obviously meant there could be ten people ready to pull the trigger on the guy. Wanting to be a hero or not, if ten people pull the trigger, bad things would happen.

Probably not as bad as the bad guy continuing to pull HIS trigger 10, 20, 30 more times.

What do you own?

Total is even better.

(j/k) ;D

Two automatic 7.62x39mm, one 5.56x45. Then five 7.62x39mm semi-autos. Then five .45 ACP handguns. Then 10 7.62x39mm. Needless to say, I have a LOT of 7.62x39mm ammo.

Share your humor. What in this discussion makes you think a responsible citizen will START the shooting? It's all been about response to an attack by some idiot. So what's funny?

What in my post makes you think I said that?

Or more could have been killed as they gunned down innocents that got in their line of fire trying to get out. Or if when one heard shots from another location of the theater they believed there was a second shooter and opened fire in that direction. Or the person that just panics trying to get their family out and kills innocents in their way or just shoots blindly trying to cover them as they get out.

I highly doubt that every gun owner is going to be calm, cool, collected, and an ace shot when tossed into a real gunfight.

I hit the firing range like many others hit the golf course. Since the primary firing range I visit is open to the public, I see a very wide assortment of the average gun owner playing with their toys. Almost all of them struggle greatly with a Mozambique Drill at anything beyond basically point-blank range. They can generally shoot decently when they can take their time for each shot. When they cannot, their accuracy and weapon control suffers greatly. In a live situation, with a crowd of people running across their field of vision in multiple directions, lots of noise, lots of pressure, lots of adrenaline, with a shooter somewhere in the middle of it, I think most of the people I see at the range would be almost as much of a hazard as the shooter that came intending to do them harm.

Definitely a fair assessment. Well said.

What do you own?

Total is even better.

(j/k) ;D

Two automatic 7.62x39mm, one 5.56x45. Then five 7.62x39mm semi-autos. Then five .45 ACP handguns. Then 10 7.62x39mm. Needless to say, I have a LOT of 7.62x39mm ammo.

Somehow, I knew you would respond even though I was kidding. :laugh:

Archived