Take Your Guns To A Movie?

icanthearyou

Say four armed citizens had been scattered about the Colorado theater. A lot of lives could have been saved. Same thing elsewhere. Any "gun free zone" is nothing but a notice to the madman that says "do it here". Just as convenience stores with a "No guns inside" sign are saying "Rob me with confidence and security".

The 2nd amendment is the law of the land, it should be followed.

Yeah, start a firefight in the movie theatre!

No. The firing was already started by the madman. The responsible armed citizen causes the shooting to cease before the madman continues to kill others.

From my experience with a CWP class, that's pretty funny.

Share your humor. What in this discussion makes you think a responsible citizen will START the shooting? It's all been about response to an attack by some idiot. So what's funny?

What in my post makes you think I said that?

Gee, I don't know. Maybe this Quote of yours: "Yeah, start a firefight in the movie theatre!"

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say four armed citizens had been scattered about the Colorado theater. A lot of lives could have been saved. Same thing elsewhere. Any "gun free zone" is nothing but a notice to the madman that says "do it here". Just as convenience stores with a "No guns inside" sign are saying "Rob me with confidence and security".

No. The firing was already started by the madman. The responsible armed citizen causes the shooting to cease before the madman continues to kill others.

The "responsible armed citizen" likely shoots a few people running in multiple directions across his field of vision (and fire) while fleeing before killing the madman. We do not need more armed citizens, we need more armed and trained citizens.

No he doesn't. The responsible armed citizen will not fire random shots willy-nilly. You say you practice, wasn't "don't put your finger on the trigger until the target is acquired" drilled into you at some time in the past?

Y'all are thinking that the good guy with the gun is going to behave like a fifth-grader with a water pistol. I don't agree. If I'm ever in a theater or similar place without my weapon I sincerely hope 10 others just like me are in there and armed at a time of need.

now you really have a problem. ...a dark theater, The shooter starts firing. You and ten other draw weapons to be the hero and you take him out. The other heroes see a flame come out of your weapon and return fire at you. All meaning well but lack of training and tactical expertise can make for a worse situation. I agree with strychnine. people who can't respond to the threat correctly are likely to make it worse.

You've got to back way, way up and rethink. Nobody wants to be a hero. The point of having a weapon with you is to avoid disaster. If you think people with CCW permits want to be heroes you are way, way off base..

if ten people in a theater are armed I would be shocked if more than two are competent enough to take action. I hope like hell those two are there for my family if this tradegy ever takes place. If you don't think there are well meaning people who are missing a few marbles that are looking for a good reason to be a hero you are mistaken.

Per my previous CCW point, there are currently no guarantees on the abilities of shooters in most states. Like you, I do not want ten, or even two, poorly trained or practiced firearm carriers in the theater with me. I do not want to see the results of people that think they can shoot far better than they actually can. I see the results of that every other day. I have no desire to be reminded of it when my life is on the line; hence my recommendation for CCW permits mentioned earlier.

Share your humor. What in this discussion makes you think a responsible citizen will START the shooting? It's all been about response to an attack by some idiot. So what's funny?

Gee, I don't know. Maybe this Quote of yours: "Yeah, start a firefight in the movie theatre!"

That was my quote, genius.

Excuse me, but that wasn't me.

(Although I agree with it 100%.)

I'd like to see it broken down by caliber/cartridge if you don't mind.

(j/k) ;D

Two automatic 7.62x39mm, one 5.56x45. Then five 7.62x39mm semi-autos. Then five .45 ACP handguns. Then 10 7.62x39mm. Needless to say, I have a LOT of 7.62x39mm ammo.

Somehow, I knew you would respond even though I was kidding. :laugh:

I know of your love for information. Who am I to withhold it?

The "responsible armed citizen" likely shoots a few people running in multiple directions across his field of vision (and fire) while fleeing before killing the madman. We do not need more armed citizens, we need more armed and trained citizens.

No he doesn't. The responsible armed citizen will not fire random shots willy-nilly. You say you practice, wasn't "don't put your finger on the trigger until the target is acquired" drilled into you at some time in the past?

Y'all are thinking that the good guy with the gun is going to behave like a fifth-grader with a water pistol. I don't agree. If I'm ever in a theater or similar place without my weapon I sincerely hope 10 others just like me are in there and armed at a time of need.

now you really have a problem. ...a dark theater, The shooter starts firing. You and ten other draw weapons to be the hero and you take him out. The other heroes see a flame come out of your weapon and return fire at you. All meaning well but lack of training and tactical expertise can make for a worse situation. I agree with strychnine. people who can't respond to the threat correctly are likely to make it worse.

You've got to back way, way up and rethink. Nobody wants to be a hero. The point of having a weapon with you is to avoid disaster. If you think people with CCW permits want to be heroes you are way, way off base..

He obviously meant there could be ten people ready to pull the trigger on the guy. Wanting to be a hero or not, if ten people pull the trigger, bad things would happen.

Probably not as bad as the bad guy continuing to pull HIS trigger 10, 20, 30 more times.

He will never get to 30 if I am there. First reload he is popped.

Strychnine, tell me about the speed practice drills.

Are you asking me this as a serious question?

(j/k) ;D

Two automatic 7.62x39mm, one 5.56x45. Then five 7.62x39mm semi-autos. Then five .45 ACP handguns. Then 10 7.62x39mm. Needless to say, I have a LOT of 7.62x39mm ammo.

I congratulate you on your rational ammunition strategy. If the zombies rise up I will seek you out.

Being an prior owner and admirer of the 1911, I am also partial to .45 ACP. If I ever anticipated a gun fight that is the handgun I would choose.

But the only handgun I currently have is a S&W Chief's Special, which I inherited from my father. Even with that, I scored higher than everyone in my CWP class - which, as I alluded to earlier, was a joke. Everyone else was all shooting 9mm and .40 auto-loaders, except for one old ex-frogman (true story) who like me was shooting a Model 36 frame S&W .38 but with a 6 inch barrel.

Most groupings looked like a 4 year old slinging gravel. I shot about a 6 inch grouping, albeit using single action style. (I am not confident shooting a revolver via double action beyond point-blank range.)

My gun inventory rounds out with your basic shotgun (Model 870 in 12 ga., with a couple of barrels) and a BAR in .270 Winchester.

Hardly an enthusiast's collection - just your basics for a home in the boonies. ;)

Strychnine, tell me how to get to your house when the s*** hits the fan.

When the government and all of our systems collapse and, heavily armed gangs are riding around looting, raping, murdering, we should meet at my house. The woods are rattlesnake infested, the creeks are full of water moccasins. If anyone gets through, Strychnine will be able to pick them off easily.

(j/k) ;D

I congratulate you on your rational ammunition strategy. If the zombies rise up I will seek you out.

Being an prior owner and admirer of the 1911, I am also partial to .45 ACP. If I ever anticipated a gun fight that is the handgun I would choose.

But the only handgun I currently have is a S&W Chief's Special, which I inherited from my father. Even with that, I scored higher than everyone in my CWP class - which, as I alluded to earlier, was a joke. Everyone else was all shooting 9mm and .40 auto-loaders, except for one old ex-frogman (true story) who like me was shooting a Model 36 frame S&W .38 but with a 6 inch barrel.

Most groupings looked like a 4 year old slinging gravel. I shot about a 6 inch grouping, albeit using single action style. (I am not confident shooting a revolver via double action beyond point-blank range.)

My gun inventory rounds out with your basic shotgun (Model 870 in 12 ga., with a couple of barrels) and a BAR in .270 Winchester.

Hardly an enthusiast's collection - just your basics for a home in the boonies. ;)

There is no gun inventory that guarantees success. My experience has been that the best success is achieved with someone that is quite familiar with the specific weapon they are firing. There is no magic weapon, or magic caliber. Personally, I shoot .45 ACP better in handguns than I shoot any other caliber. That does not mean that another person firing 9MM cannot achieve the same results. .45 ACP is not some magic man-stopper, just like .357 and .44 Magnum are not. The secret is shot placement, not caliber.

Strychnine, tell me how to get to your house when the s*** hits the fan.

Rest assured that my Auburn brothers get immediate and preferential treatment in the case of s*** hitting the fan.

You speak as if the alternative- a massacre that will last as long as it takes for the nearest police officer to be dispatched- is somehow preferable.

(j/k) ;D

There is no gun inventory that guarantees success. My experience has been that the best success is achieved with someone that is quite familiar with the specific weapon they are firing. There is no magic weapon, or magic caliber. Personally, I shoot .45 ACP better in handguns than I shoot any other caliber. That does not mean that another person firing 9MM cannot achieve the same results. .45 ACP is not some magic man-stopper, just like .357 and .44 Magnum are not. The secret is shot placement, not caliber.

Oh I agree. I don't have much experience with hand guns but I really liked my 1911. It was easy to shoot well and it's just such a basic weapon.

I am not really addressing the merits of any given caliber but I don't like the feel of pistols with staggered magazines, high capacity or not.

(j/k) ;D/>

Somehow, I knew you would respond even though I was kidding. :laugh:/>

Hardly an enthusiast's collection - just your basics for a home in the boonies. ;)/>

Oh I agree. I don't have much experience with hand guns but I really liked my 1911. It was easy to shoot well and it's just such a basic weapon.

I am not really addressing the merits of any given caliber but I don't like the feel of pistols with staggered magazines, high capacity or not.

Personally, I'm not great with 1911's. The feel of them just doesn't strike me. That said, plenty share your dislike of staggered mags. If you shoot 1911's well, that is better than any alternative you may find. The commander 1911 makes a great carry weapon.

I would disagree with this statement. This is working under the assumption that people will not bring their own guns.

Movie theater does not check bodies or purses (least none I have been into). I know guys, and a couple of girls, that have concealed carry into a movie theater. One of those funny things about many gun owners. They want their rights, they want you to respect their rights, they want to do what they want on their own property and business, but will say f-that to any business not wanting a gun on their property. It is all about them.

Many larger cities do have armed security on site on weekends and big openings.

I'd say the assumption is a pretty good one to make. Otherwise, we'd be hearing more about gun owners who had them concealed taking out the shooter or at least getting off a few rounds at him. Every one of these situations have been a bunch of folks who were sitting ducks. Why? Because most people follow the rules and don't bring their gun in. They don't want to be kicked out if discovered or banned from the establishment forever. College campuses that do this are even more likely to have students who adhere to the 'no guns' rule because they can get kicked out of school or at least out of on-campus dorms.

If the business doesn't want Joe Gunowner toting his 9mm into their place, fine. But given the closed quarters these theaters create by necessity, they need to have armed guards to ward these idiots off.

And then you have these situations also... gunned down two armed cops having lunch and then a armed man at Walmart

When a “good guy with a gun” does intervene in an active shooting, things can go terribly awry. On June 8, 2014, an armed couple burst into a CiCi’s Pizza in Las Vegas screaming, “This is the start of a revolution!” They quickly gunned down two police officers eating lunch, and then moved to a nearby Wal-Mart. One customer, a concealed-carry license holder, drew his gun rather than flee, but was immediately shot. As it would turn out, all three of the couple’s victims that day were armed.

http://www.armedwithreason.com/debunking-the-gun-free-zone-myth-mass-murder-magnets/

Let's be honest though. The majority of your life you are a sitting target even when armed. Think of how many times in ones life someone could pull up next to them at a stop light, and the person is on the phone or messing with the radio or staring into oblivion. Shot to the head before they would even know.

In a perfect world sure. You never know the consequences of arming the so called responsible civilians. What if there were two bad guys in the movie theatre and two armed citizens. Now you have a firefight in a dark movie theatre.

Everyone plays Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty. We are all trained for these situations.

Look, I get the concerns about relatively untrained people with guns in high presure, active shooter environments. What I don't get is the tendency for the gun control crowd to argue from a position of false morality- the sense that preferring people be placed in a scenario with an armed madman, no method of escape, no means of defense, and no one coming to save the day for at least five minutes is morally superior than saying "You know what? If a few of those people in the crowd feel like placing the responsibility for stopping additional loss of innocent life on themselves, maybe we should let them."

As a CC holder, the last thing I'm looking for is a confrontation. In fact, the day I became one, I understood I now had an obligation to back away from potential conflict whenever I could, since the other combatant might be able to snatch the gun from my hip and kill me. I think the vast majority of CC permit holders feel the same way. Most of us realize that this ain't the movies, and the thought of taking another life isn't something to be undertaken lightly. We just feel like should circumstances allow a clear shot at an armed assailant, we should be allowed to make that choice in defense of self and those around us.

Look, I get the concerns about relatively untrained people with guns in high presure, active shooter environments. What I don't get is the tendency for the gun control crowd to argue from a position of false morality- the sense that preferring people be placed in a scenario with an armed madman, no method of escape, no means of defense, and no one coming to save the day for at least five minutes is morally superior than saying "You know what? If a few of those people in the crowd feel like placing the responsibility for stopping additional loss of innocent life on themselves, maybe we should let them."

As a CC holder, the last thing I'm looking for is a confrontation. In fact, the day I became one, I understood I now had an obligation to back away from potential conflict whenever I could, since the other combatant might be able to snatch the gun from my hip and kill me. I think the vast majority of CC permit holders feel the same way. Most of us realize that this ain't the movies, and the thought of taking another life isn't something to be undertaken lightly. We just feel like should circumstances allow a clear shot at an armed assailant, we should be allowed to make that choice in defense of self and those around us.

One :

6a9bd8a22bee35ed3b2c42f4ae9feae2.jpg

Two... I think gun free zones theory is a myth:

http://www.armedwith...murder-magnets/

Three... Obese people are already spilling over into other seats. Now we will need seats for the guns also? Cause if you CC they are gonna wanna Open Carry:

inside-chipotle-master.jpg

Four... I don't want to be shot when a waitress has a bad day and snaps cause her crappy service got her a crappy tip:

hqdefault.jpg

662014nra-blog480.jpg

Five....I want to go to a Rangers game and not worry about this guy drinking to much and shooting someone that didn't take it serious enough that Darvish walked someone when he was ahead in the count:

So maybe I just want to go somewhere and the streets not look like some damn third world country controlled by warlords with everyone walking around with guns strapped over their shoulders. Especially since the majority of the individuals will have a false illusion that having a gun gives them CONTROL and the majority will do more harm than good.

If I can get in my car everyday in a college town with the texting and driving and drinking and driving then I can damn sure go to a movie without armed people being there. Cause statistically there really is more of a chance that one of you guys will come down here and drink too much and hit me than there is of me getting shot by a madman at a movie theater.

One :

6a9bd8a22bee35ed3b2c42f4ae9feae2.jpg

So... Do you believe we live in a fairytale land in which people intent on doing harm to you will stop because people carrying guns hurt your feelz? Be realistic.

Two... I think gun free zones theory is a myth:

http://www.armedwith...murder-magnets/

I had to stop reading that link when it discredited defensive gun use because instances of defensive use hadn't been reported enough for their liking. Very often, defensive gun use isn't reported for any number of reasons- the individual was in a hurry, nerves were shot, not wanting to trouble the police- or even involve them unless they have to, etc. Case in point, the only time I've ever drawn my weapon in an emergency scenario. I was leaving for work, putting a bag in the trunk of my car. The sound of me opening and shutting the trunk startled the occupants of a car parked across the street, who promptly cranked the car after muttering a few words I couldn't hear. To my eyes, it appeared as if they were casing either my house or one of my neighbors. I pulled the pistol from my hip, walked about halfway into the driveway, and "saw them out." Haven't seen them since. Now as I said before, I was headed for work, and my employer is rather short staffed. Since the threat had dissipated (and because I'm no fan of my local sheriff's office, due to an unrelated situation beyond my control I'd rather not delve into here), I notified my neighbors to BOLO, and went to work, rather than go through the rigmarole of filing a report. Something like that happens more often than we think.

Three... Obese people are already spilling over into other seats. Now we will need seats for the guns also? Cause if you CC they are gonna wanna Open Carry:

inside-chipotle-master.jpg

We're talking about concealed carry here, not a bunch of pimple faced basement dwellers trying to look cool and get a rise out of people. Stay with us.

Four... I don't want to be shot when a waitress has a bad day and snaps cause her crappy service got her a crappy tip:

hqdefault.jpg

If this is a serious concern of yours, I don't know how you manage to leave the house on any given day. Most waitresses want to live to see another good tip on another day. What a myopic view of your fellow man/woman to think we'd all go postal the first time something didn't go our way.

662014nra-blog480.jpg

Five....I want to go to a Rangers game and not worry about this guy drinking to much and shooting someone that didn't take it serious enough that Darvish walked someone when he was ahead in the count:

See three and four. Let's not craft public policy based on what the lowest common denominator (Bammers) do. Its just going to make the rest of us downright miserable.

The imaginary scenarios being put up by folks who are opposed to conceal carry are becoming comical. Meanwhile, folks continue to get shot up because of fears of the aforementioned imaginary scenarios, and nothing gets done.

The imaginary scenarios being put up by folks who are opposed to conceal carry are becoming comical. Meanwhile, folks continue to get shot up because of fears of the aforementioned imaginary scenarios, and nothing gets done.

Nonsense. The magical signs WILL work. We just have to BELIEVE in them.

It is funny really. I mean all these fears of a wild West type shootout are comical. I guess they prefer to let the madman just keep going until the cops show up.

Stop making all these people crazy and let them be held accountable would help I think as well

Archived