Take Your Guns To A Movie?

icanthearyou

Quoting Strychnine: "...many people moving rapidly in multiple directions across your field of vision (and fire)..."

In that situation you don't fire your weapon. You wait for better circumstances and if they don't present themselves, you don't fire. Whether a person trains weekly or once yearly, that's pretty simple common sense.

Sure, when you have time to apply common sense, and that also assumes that the average CCW possesses it. I do not know if they do, and neither do you. What I do know is that training and proficiency tests would go further toward ensuring the proper application of that common sense than just putting warm bodies with concealed weapons in movie theaters. I also know that I do not trust assumptions about common sense. Common sense dictates that you verify a weapon is unloaded before attempting to clean it, yet people have managed to shoot themselves while doing so.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great discussion.

Here are a few thoughts I have:

This guy in Lafayette scoped out the theater and found they only had cops inside the building on Friday and Saturday. Therefore he went on Thursday to avoid quick intervention by the cops. This shows that a person intent on hurting people will go to great lengths to accomplish their goal and yes this includes finding a gun free zone with lot of people. Cops are always minutes away when seconds count.

After this incident, I’m considering putting a light on my everyday carry sidearm.

I find it almost comical that people are worried about lots of armed people in a crowded space. Nobody can point to a situation where a bad guy used a gun and numerous good guys presented a firearm and shot a bunch of innocent bystanders. I’m sure we can scour the interwebs and find an occurrence, but we can all rattle off a handful of mass shootings in gun free zones where innocent people were sitting ducks. How many people were shot at the NRA convention which was held recently in Nashville? Zero, and I’ve listened to lots of gun experts recently and they were all discussing what they were carrying on the convention floor.

Here’s the reality of CCW. First, gun sales have exploded and so have CCW permits. However, only about 20% of CCW holders carry regularly. The likelihood of having a bunch of guns in a theater is very low even if it were allowed. (For the record, I have carried in a theater even if it says not weapons on the door. If it says no weapons and has a city ordinance or law stated I would not carry in the theater. If the Theater is not going to protect my family, then its my responsibility.) Another reality is that the murder rate has decreased during this explosion of gun sales and CCW permits.

(Side Note: I bought a gun for my wife last Friday and there were 4 people buying at the same time as me @ Academy Sports. 3 of the 4 guns were for woman, which is the fastest growing market segment for sales, CCW permits, and gun training.)

I will agree with everyone who said training is essential. Due to my son’s interest, he and I began shooting as hobby a few years ago. I watched every safety video on YouTube and took him to a youth class at the local range. After working with him, my wife, my mother-in-law, and a good friend, I can tell you none of them had an inherent gun safety mentality. All four wanted to pick up the gun with their finger on the trigger and\or point the gun in an unsafe direction (of course I only handed them an unloaded gun until I trusted them). Training is essential and if someone is around me I’m a hawk for following the safety rules. It’s my understanding Ohio (and I’m sure some other states) does require a standard class for CCW. I also believe that having the right equipment/holster is very important to carrying safely.

Yeah... not gonna defend Big Pharma and the zombie drugs they out these kids on.

Beyond that, I see no use in going around in circles on this. Not with someone who fails to see how basing presuppositions on a statistic as dubious as "reported" defensive gun use calls the validity of the source into question. And not to spook you, but you've probably seen at least a dozen movies with an armed patron in your general area, and lived to tell the tale.

That was only one point of the article and I said the article was not perfect.

Why would I be spooked? I will go into a movie theater unarmed. Others are the ones freaking out about a 0.00005% chance of something happening. How many movies have you been to in your life and lived to tell the tale? Been involved in a theater shooting yet?

So which is it? When I said I know people carry into places like this regardless of the rules I was told all gun owners are responsible and respect laws and owners wishes. If they are as said then I should of never stepped into a theater with a person carrying a gun that was there with no harmful intent.

And this entire thread is based off of presuppositions from both sides.

Yeah... not gonna defend Big Pharma and the zombie drugs they out these kids on.

Beyond that, I see no use in going around in circles on this. Not with someone who fails to see how basing presuppositions on a statistic as dubious as "reported" defensive gun use calls the validity of the source into question. And not to spook you, but you've probably seen at least a dozen movies with an armed patron in your general area, and lived to tell the tale.

Why would I be spooked? I will go into a movie theater unarmed. Others are the ones freaking out about a 0.00005% chance of something happening. How many movies have you been to in your life and lived to tell the tale? Been involved in a theater shooting yet?

So which is it? When I said I know people carry into places like this regardless of the rules I was told all gun owners are responsible and respect laws and owners wishes. If they are as said then I should of never stepped into a theater with a person carrying a gun that was there with no harmful intent.

Well then by that logic since there is only a very slight chance of something happening then there is no reason to ever even carry at anytime. No need for Comcealed carry or anything else. Just leave it at home

Great discussion.

Here are a few thoughts I have:

This guy in Lafayette scoped out the theater and found they only had cops inside the building on Friday and Saturday. Therefore he went on Thursday to avoid quick intervention by the cops. This shows that a person intent on hurting people will go to great lengths to accomplish their goal and yes this includes finding a gun free zone with lot of people. Cops are always minutes away when seconds count.

After this incident, I’m considering putting a light on my everyday carry sidearm.

I find it almost comical that people are worried about lots of armed people in a crowded space. Nobody can point to a situation where a bad guy used a gun and numerous good guys presented a firearm and shot a bunch of innocent bystanders. I’m sure we can scour the interwebs and find an occurrence, but we can all rattle off a handful of mass shootings in gun free zones where innocent people were sitting ducks. How many people were shot at the NRA convention which was held recently in Nashville? Zero, and I’ve listened to lots of gun experts recently and they were all discussing what they were carrying on the convention floor.

Here’s the reality of CCW. First, gun sales have exploded and so have CCW permits. However, only about 20% of CCW holders carry regularly. The likelihood of having a bunch of guns in a theater is very low even if it were allowed. (For the record, I have carried in a theater even if it says not weapons on the door. If it says no weapons and has a city ordinance or law stated I would not carry in the theater. If the Theater is not going to protect my family, then its my responsibility.) Another reality is that the murder rate has decreased during this explosion of gun sales and CCW permits.

(Side Note: I bought a gun for my wife last Friday and there were 4 people buying at the same time as me @ Academy Sports. 3 of the 4 guns were for woman, which is the fastest growing market segment for sales, CCW permits, and gun training.)

I will agree with everyone who said training is essential. Due to my son’s interest, he and I began shooting as hobby a few years ago. I watched every safety video on YouTube and took him to a youth class at the local range. After working with him, my wife, my mother-in-law, and a good friend, I can tell you none of them had an inherent gun safety mentality. All four wanted to pick up the gun with their finger on the trigger and\or point the gun in an unsafe direction (of course I only handed them an unloaded gun until I trusted them). Training is essential and if someone is around me I’m a hawk for following the safety rules. It’s my understanding Ohio (and I’m sure some other states) does require a standard class for CCW. I also believe that having the right equipment/holster is very important to carrying safely.

Fair arguments but I see some things that I am more curious about.

I find it almost comical that people are worried about lots of armed people in a crowded space. Nobody can point to a situation where a bad guy used a gun and numerous good guys presented a firearm and shot a bunch of innocent bystanders

Take Chicago. While it is bad guy vs bad guy you are still dealing with shoot outs in open crowded space. A majority of the time the victims are innocent bystanders caught in the gun fight. Now a gunfight is a gunfight regardless of who is right and wrong in my opinion.

How many people were shot at the NRA convention which was held recently in Nashville? Zero, and I’ve listened to lots of gun experts recently and they were all discussing what they were carrying on the convention floor.

Fair point, have to be a idiot to hit there. Still armed men hit an armed convention in Garland.

However, only about 20% of CCW holders carry regularly

Have an actual citation on that? I am honestly curious what % does and does not carry and the rates.

(For the record, I have carried in a theater even if it says not weapons on the door. If it says no weapons and has a city ordinance or law stated I would not carry in the theater. If the Theater is not going to protect my family, then its my responsibility.)

Least you are honest about it. I have been told this doesn't happen with responsible CC owners. Personally I think you should respect the business (like everyone else wants done with other things, like with religion) and go elsewhere where you are allowed to carry. This represents one of my concerns with open carry in Texas. They are already looking for ways to challenge and start altercations with business owners vs choosing to take their business elsewhere.

Another reality is that the murder rate has decreased during this explosion of gun sales and CCW permits.

Good reason to challenge this correlation. I was in Chicago when they were preparing for CC and gun sales exploded in the suburbs. The first quarter of CC the murder rate did drop there. It also just happened that they had a record cold winter also. They credited CC with the drop in murder rates. Soon as things warmed up it went right back to the same rates. The cold actually was the reason for the drop in murder/shooting rates of the first quarter. You also have to look at shootings versus murder rates. That is one of Chicago's tricks for glazing over its violent crimes to the nation.

While I haven't yet I don't think, I should probably mention I got grazed in the thigh by a person not properly handling a gun when I was a teen. So that is a factor in my mistrust of the public. I don't really consider it being shot, though I guess technically I was.

Well then by that logic since there is only a very slight chance of something happening then there is no reason to ever even carry at anytime. No need for Comcealed carry or anything else. Just leave it at home

That's pretty much what I concluded. Maybe if I frequented particularly dangerous areas, I'd feel differently, but it seems overly paranoid to me.

Having said that, I typically take my revolver with me in the car if I am leaving the house empty, but mainly because I don't have a lock for it.

I would agree with that statement in most instances. There are instances where I agree carrying is a good idea also.

Archived