Should Arkansas jump to the Big 12?

AURex

There is some speculation that this could happen as the Big 12 tries to get into the playoff picture by adding a couple more teams. And from what I've been hearing, Arkansas fans would be happy with the move.

http://landgrantgauntlet.com/2015/07/28/should-arkansas-join-the-big-12-while-they-still-can/

There is some speculation that this could happen as the Big 12 tries to get into the playoff picture by adding a couple more teams. And from what I've been hearing, Arkansas fans would be happy with the move.

http://landgrantgaun...they-still-can/

It would make sense, since they will have problems (year in and year out) in the SEC west winning regularly.

http://landgrantgaun...they-still-can/

It would make sense, since they will have problems (year in and year out) in the SEC west winning regularly.

And winning recruiting battles. If i was an Arky fan...i'd welcome it.

If they hate money, sure. Otherwise, not likely.

It's not about the Network distributions. Check the revenues of big-time athletics departments (http://www.businessinsider.com/texas-revenue-college-sports-2014-9). You'll see two Big 12 schools in the top 20. The Big 12's issue is and has been the disparity between Texas/OU and the rest of the conference. That hasn't diminished in recent years. At all. Arkansas won't consider it.

Why would Arky leave the SEC for Texass to rule over them? Why the hell would they give up the prestige of the SEC and the money the SEC generates?

The Big12 is crumbling, even the arrogant Texass fans know it. Hell, Oklahoma is pissed with the conference right now and the OU president has recently voiced his opinions.

They'd lose some money but they'd have a better chance of actually winning consistently and contending for a conference championship. JMO but i like the make up of the Big12 better than ACC who is just top heavy with 2-3 worthy teams in the last few years. Baylor and TCU have consistently been at the top and in contention the last few years. They've added good value. Big12 just needs to add a conference championship. I doubt Arky would do it but i wouldn't see it as a bad move if they did..just my take though.

If they hate money, sure. Otherwise, not likely.

It's not about the Network distributions. Check the revenues of big-time athletics departments (http://www.businessi...e-sports-2014-9). You'll see two Big 12 schools in the top 20. The Big 12's issue is and has been the disparity between Texas/OU and the rest of the conference. That hasn't diminished in recent years. At all. Arkansas won't consider it.

^^This^^

And the fact that even OU is not happy with the Big12 right now. I think it would be a horrible move for UA to leave the most stable and profittable conference in the country for the instability of a Big12 that may not even survive as a conference.

Those of you saying that they'd lose money obviously didn't read the article. Arkansas would bring in about the same amount in the Big 12 as they do in the SEC.

The Big 12 has 2 options. They can add 2 teams and play a championship game each year like the rest of the big conferences. Or the teams can scatter to other conferences, dissolving the conference.

But as far as money is concerned, the schools in the Big 12 pull down just as much as SEC schools, and the Big 12 is locked into that income for the rest of this decade.

The reason Arkansas might jump is because they'd actually have a better chance of winning steadily in the Big 12. They are currently stuck in the toughest division of the toughest conference and at a recruiting disadvantage.

It wouldn't surprise me if Arkansas made the move to the Big 12 in 2016 or 2017. Now, who would the SEC go after to replace Arky?

Those of you saying that they'd lose money obviously didn't read the article. Arkansas would bring in about the same amount in the Big 12 as they do in the SEC.

The Big 12 has 2 options. They can add 2 teams and play a championship game each year like the rest of the big conferences. Or the teams can scatter to other conferences, dissolving the conference.

But as far as money is concerned, the schools in the Big 12 pull down just as much as SEC schools, and the Big 12 is locked into that income for the rest of this decade.

The reason Arkansas might jump is because they'd actually have a better chance of winning steadily in the Big 12. They are currently stuck in the toughest division of the toughest conference and at a recruiting disadvantage.

I'd think Jeff Long and Chancellor Gearhart would weigh the overall security of the SEC for their athletics programs before they'd jump to conference on the brink of collapse.

Arkansas has proven they can compete in the SECWest in many sports, moreso than MSU & OleMiss. Arkansas has made it to Atlanta, something OleMiss has yet to accomplish. And with decent coaching (Nutt got them to ATL, Petrino got them a BCS bowl) they can be successful.

Nope. Nada. Negative. Not gonna happen.

Jeff Long/President Gearhart are very happy in this conference and quite frankly the UA fans laugh their asses off at the utter mess the Big12 has become. aTm & Mizzou exited in a flash and have never looked back. Oklahoma "seems" unhappy and odds are they'd leave if they had the opportunity.

It would be an intriguing rival for Texas. Especially after the comment Bielema made recently. Then again maybe the SEC would bring Texas to match with AM.

Talk about a sunshine pumpfest...

That article is loaded with too much speculation and more holes than a game of Pitfall. All I see there is discussion about the potential for a similar or increased revenue stream with a Big XII leap.

The XII has been on shaky ground since 2010, yet they they are on target for more 'potential' projections for increased revenue for 2024, and 2025? There's also a very strong likelihood the SEC's payouts will increase in 10 years as well. Who says bevo won't attempt to branch out their operation and form the Cattle Conference with the Saskatchewan Football League, and leave the other waterbugs scrambling for their conference lives again?

Talk about a sunshine pumpfest...

That article is loaded with too much speculation and more holes than a game of Pitfall. All I see there is discussion about the potential for a similar or increased revenue stream with a Big XII leap.

The XII has been on shaky ground since 2010, yet they they are on target for more 'potential' projections for increased revenue for 2024, and 2025? There's also a very strong likelihood the SEC's payouts will increase in 10 years as well. Who says bevo won't attempt to branch out their operation and form the Cattle Conference with the Saskatchewan Football League, and leave the other waterbugs scrambling for their conference lives again?

Yep....it's the dead season for college football....which means that all the bloggers and columnists are groping around for something to meet their contractual obligations.

Another few weeks and all the nonsense articles will be behind us and we will see some serious journalism....like stories about Jacob Coker being a prime Heisman candidate, etc.

Meanwhile, Arky ain't going anywhere....especially to a conference where they would be a step-child to Texas.

Archived