Malzahn's run in the SEC

StatTiger

Here are some amazing notes of interest regarding Gus Malzahn's run-offense:

The following number are compiled from the 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014 seasons only...

Yards rushing per game:

Malzahn: 249.8 YPG

SEC: 167.5 YPG

Alabama: 191.5 YPG

Georgia: 170.4 YPG

LSU: 184.2 YPG

Yards per rush:

Malzahn: 5.60 YPC

SEC: 4.45 YPC

Alabama: 5.01 YPC

Georgia: 4.56 YPC

LSU: 4.61 YPC

Rushing TD Ratio:

Malzahn: 1 every 18.9 attempts

SEC: 1 every 21.7 attempts

Alabama: 1 every 18.2 attempts

Georgia: 1 every 21.5 attempts

LSU" 1 every 19.0 attempts

Percentage of 200-yard rushing games:

Malzahn: 70.3%

SEC: 33.9%

Alabama: 46.3%

Georgia: 29.1%

LSU: 39.2%

Percentage of 150-yard rushing games:

Malzahn: 81.5%

SEC: 55.2%

Alabama: 67.5%

Georgia: 55.7%

LSU: 67.1%

Percentage of 300-yard rushing games:

Malzahn: 28.3%

SEC: 6.4%

Alabama: 7.5%

Georgia: 7.6%

LSU: 10.1%

Percentage of games averaging at least 5.0 yards per rush:

Malzahn: 62.9%

SEC: 34.6%

Alabama: 50.0%

Georgia: 32.9%

LSU: 36.7%

That is just amazing to see those rushing numbers. Running back U indeed (even though a couple of those years the QB added a lot to the totals).

That is absolutely amazing. It's too bad the offensive success has been overshadowed by our pitiful defense. But if we are able to continue this type of run production with Jeremy Johnson's arm and Muschamp's defense, then look out!

Here are some amazing notes of interest regarding Gus Malzahn's run-offense:

The following number are compiled from the 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014 seasons only...

Yards rushing per game:

Malzahn: 249.8 YPG

SEC: 167.5 YPG

Alabama: 191.5 YPG

Georgia: 170.4 YPG

LSU: 184.2 YPG

Yards per rush:

Malzahn: 5.60 YPC

SEC: 4.45 YPC

Alabama: 5.01 YPC

Georgia: 4.56 YPC

LSU: 4.61 YPC

Rushing TD Ratio:

Malzahn: 1 every 18.9 attempts

SEC: 1 every 21.7 attempts

Alabama: 1 every 18.2 attempts

Georgia: 1 every 21.5 attempts

LSU" 1 every 19.0 attempts

Percentage of 200-yard rushing games:

Malzahn: 70.3%

SEC: 33.9%

Alabama: 46.3%

Georgia: 29.1%

LSU: 39.2%

Percentage of 150-yard rushing games:

Malzahn: 81.5%

SEC: 55.2%

Alabama: 67.5%

Georgia: 55.7%

LSU: 67.1%

Percentage of 300-yard rushing games:

Malzahn: 28.3%

SEC: 6.4%

Alabama: 7.5%

Georgia: 7.6%

LSU: 10.1%

Percentage of games averaging at least 5.0 yards per rush:

Malzahn: 62.9%

SEC: 34.6%

Alabama: 50.0%

Georgia: 32.9%

LSU: 36.7%

What's even more amazing is look at Auburn's schedule versus Alabama during that time period! We out up better numbers against tougher competition.

I like Gus the OC a whole lot. The jury is still out on Gus the HC.

wde

What? Did you miss the SEC Championship, and the title game?

wde

Gene Chizik won a national title in his second year. Gene Chizik was by far the worst coach at AU since Barfield and maybe including Barfield had it not been for Cam, Nick, T Rocker and Gus (the OC).

Gus has had one very good year and one lackluster year as HC. The jury is still out on Gus as a HC.

wde

It is amazing that we have been so much better than the rest of the league. I wonder how it stacks up against Dye's best wishbone teams?

"Bah! Humbug! Malzahn and his gussied up high school offense will never work in the SEC." - paraphrasing someone somewhere :P

I'm waiting for Gus to beat little nick, beat him in the recruiting field and win championships every year.

We aren't going to beat him in recruiting (but we don't have to, we just have to be within shouting distance i.e. top ten with good coaching). If Gus can match saban in championships then he will be at AU for a long time.

wde

wde

Gene Chizik won a national title in his second year. Gene Chizik was by far the worst coach at AU since Barfield and maybe including Barfield had it not been for Cam, Nick, T Rocker and Gus (the OC).

Gus has had one very good year and one lackluster year as HC. The jury is still out on Gus as a HC.

wde

Are there people who still think Chizik had anything to do with that NC season?

1. Hired Malzahn

2. Didn't impose on Malzahn until we had our highest level of success in program history and were trying to build on it (not a positive but it's something that he did)

3. Possessed an entire staff that we still paying off now

Anyway the point is, Malzahn was more of a coach in their tenure than Chizik was

I'm waiting for Gus to beat little nick, beat him in the recruiting field and win championships every year.

We aren't going to beat him in recruiting (but we don't have to, we just have to be within shouting distance i.e. top ten with good coaching). If Gus can match saban in championships then he will be at AU for a long time.

wde

And if better than break even.... If he can get three of next four match ups without an amazing grace play, the little tyrant might just head for the lake and retire. Because with the double whammy of losing, and as you said, their ever-resurgent recruiting beginning to yield, his legacy becomes an issue. Not that it's not stellar, but given the chance to go out way on top might be too attractive. . . . . . .(who :gofig: know's)

wde

I don't know about winning the NCAA a bunch of times. But, Gus will be the reason Sick Naban retires.

wde

wde

Are there people who still think Chizik had anything to do with that NC season?

1. Hired Malzahn

2. Didn't impose on Malzahn until we had our highest level of success in program history and were trying to build on it (not a positive but it's something that he did)

3. Possessed an entire staff that we still paying off now

Anyway the point is, Malzahn was more of a coach in their tenure than Chizik was

This

over the next 5 years, anyone reading this blog would have to smile and say what were they thinking back in 2015? 5 years from now, Saban will be put out to pasture, and Gus will send bammer back to the dark ages of Dubose and company.

We're certainly blessed to have Gus at Auburn. I wonder how Spurrier's Fun & Gun of the mid '90s compared to the rest of the SEC back then?

Re Chizik, head coach while OC hired and Heisman QB recruited but deserves little to no credit for title for which OC & QB significantly responsible? Riiiiiight.

wde

I don't know about winning the NCAA a bunch of times. But, Gus will be the reason Sick Naban retires.

Can Gus get Mark Richt to retire too? :-[

We're certainly blessed to have Gus at Auburn. I wonder how Spurrier's Fun & Gun of the mid '90s compared to the rest of the SEC back then?

Re Chizik, head coach while OC hired and Heisman QB recruited but deserves little to no credit for title for which OC & QB significantly responsible? Riiiiiight.

From what I read back then, Chizik didn't recruit Cam. It was said that Gus had to convince CGC to let him get Cam.

Archived