secondary questions

El Tiburon

You might make people's head explode with the "in phase" stuff. That has been explained numerous times over the last few years and has not been picked up. I think bigbird did a solid explanation a couple years ago.

Defend the bubbles and quick screens. Fight through blocks before they establish and BE AGGRESSIVE!

Twice in the spring game we made a nice adjustment pre-snap, based on a stacked pair of WR's (obvious sign there may be a bubble called). Both times the corner and safety rotated, with the bigger stronger safety lined up at LOS with the corner rotating back to provide help against any verticals. Twice the safety fought thru the wr to make the tackle on a bubble. This secondary will improve, hopefully sooner rather than later, but it will improve.

You might make people's head explode with the "in phase" stuff. That has been explained numerous times over the last few years and has not been picked up. I think bigbird did a solid explanation a couple years ago.

Oops, I tried explaining that on another blog to no avail, maybe I'll give that up ha-ha. It's not that hard of a concept. I certainly won't go into the Rip/Liz concept that Saban, and most likely Boom, implement in order to get the best parts of Cover 1 and Cover 3 on the same play.

Its not that people don't grasp it, rather it doesn't fit their view of how db's should play the position.

In trips open, we lock back side corner. On playside, we walk out our rover over #3 or sometimes over # 2 depending on the team playing the curl flats. We have our corner play a loose deep third, line up ps safety over #2 or #3 depending on the rover and he is reading 2 to 1 playing the slant/hook/dig area, we then have bs safety roll to play middle of the field over the top reading 3 to 2 to 1. We end up with a 2 on 1 whether the pass is thrown short mid or deep

I understood all of that and my argument was it was something being done wrong. Either we were getting outcoached or out played that's it, so any argument that it wasn't either was false because I think we'd all agree even if we don't have the best player we have the same calibre of athlete. I couldn't by the no he wasn't beat nor was he out of position when the 37 yard catch was made....Well hell something went wrong...or are we just powerless to keep giving up 400 yds passing to a team that's in the middle statically of the sec in passing? If we are why were there other teams that were able to stop them?

If a corner when it's time for a play to be made is just putting his hands up and can't locate the ball something went wrong. Maybe his technique was bad or maybe he was just beat out by a better player. In grand scheme of football technique should keep you from getting taken advantage of, who uses their technique closest to perfection and who is more consistent with that usually wins. Having a greater athlete is like a guard or back up for technique. If a player technique isn't as good their athleticism may still keep them from getting beat because we all know nobody is perfect. If everybody did everything right all the time football would be a boring game to watch

Its not that people don't grasp it, rather it doesn't fit their view of how db's should play the position.

In trips open, we lock back side corner. On playside, we walk out our rover over #3 or sometimes over # 2 depending on the team playing the curl flats. We have our corner play a loose deep third, line up ps safety over #2 or #3 depending on the rover and he is reading 2 to 1 playing the slant/hook/dig area, we then have bs safety roll to play middle of the field over the top reading 3 to 2 to 1. We end up with a 2 on 1 whether the pass is thrown short mid or deep

It's a solid answer to trips open sir. Do you coach HS or College Fball?

I couldn't by the no he wasn't beat nor was he out of position when the 37 yard catch was made...are we just powerless to keep giving up 400 yds passing to a team that's in the middle statically of the sec in passing? If we are why were there other teams that were able to stop them?

We gave up so many big passes in crucial moments last year, which one was this? If it was that Runya catch against Mstate, we were in CoverZero and Mincy didn't even try to keep his inside leverage, which is imperative with no deep safety help. We weren't a cohesive unit on D last year. Every secondary player gave up a needless big play due to poor technique or completely blown assignment. It happened every game for the most part.

You are correct, in that scheme doesn't mean anything if individuals are using poor technique, and also sometimes their guy is just a better athlete. Joe Haden is one helluva corner, but I've seen him get owned by guys like Antonio Brown.

Archived