2015 Preseason Practice - Day 1

RunInRed

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Malzahn's post-practice presser ...

CLmU0lLWgAAfjpW.jpg

Malzahn: "Great to be back out on the practice field. ... Today was really about our standard of how to practice."

Malzahn said safety Tray Matthews was not at practice today because he had to "take care of personal issues." Will be back Wednesday.

Malzahn on J.B. Grimes: "He's probably the toughest coach in college football. ... The fact he was out there was really something."

@RyanABlack

Young guys got to watch from the sidelines early on in practice just to see how things are done around these parts.

Gus: Kozan is getting to the point where he's really looking good.

@AUBlog

Commented on heat. "It was hot out there today, but that's good.

Malzahn said there is a possibility Edgewood grad Prince Tega Wanogho could be ready for the opener. Had ugly leg injury

@DuaneRankin

Malzahn: "The fact that we got most of our guys in May...physically, they're getting stronger, they're getting faster."

Malzahn on Lambert's return: "(Davonte Lambert) is a real positive energy guy. He's a leader."

Malzahn on last season: "We didn't finish like we wanted to, our older guys have an edge... [they want] redemption."

Malzahn carries the theme of the 'standard', says the standard is "excellence."

@TheAUPlainsman

Gus: "we've got a mature team that gets it. They want the freshmen to excel." (Know they can help us)

@jeff_shearer

Malzahn said Jeremy Johnson understands the hype that comes along with playing the position

@ITATJason

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on the season: "We have to earn what we get. Preseason hype means absolutely nothing."

Auburn's Gus Malzahn said his players are in good shape academically as fall practice begins.

@AUGoldMine

Gus Malzahn: "8-5 is enough to motivate our guys."

@JamesCrepea

To put JJ's size into perspective:

Jeremy 6'5" 240 lbs.

Cam Newton - currently, according to Jacksonville Carolina 6'5 245.

FTFY

FTFY also.

SW looks really comfortable in the backfield. JR has a great burst!

I thought White was the backup. Earlier in the thread it said Queen was running the second team.

SW looks really comfortable in the backfield. JR has a great burst!

I thought White was the backup. Earlier in the thread it said Queen was running the second team.

I don't know if there is anything to it but Queen looked better in the spring game to me than white.

ok but where was Monty? I also wonder how much of this we will see this year lol..

ScreenShot2012-10-27at1.33.06PM_crop_exact.png?w=650&h=440&q=75

Marcus Davis

Davis on Jeremy Johnson: "That guy is really intelligent... I think he's ready to take his opportunity to the next level."

Davis: "I'm a team guy, whenever it comes my way I know I can make a play."

Davis on Jason Smith: "I see big things from him."

@TheAUPlainsman

Marcus Davis, whose biggest goal in the spring was to win the punt return job, said he is still focused on improving on PR

@AUBlog

Marcus Davis said he's taken freshmen WRs Darius Slayton and Ryan Davis under his wing.

Marcus Davis on Ryan Davis/Slayton: "I know a million things are going through their heads. I just tell them to relax."

@RyanABlack

Marcus Davis says he's been working at split end. Was in the slot previously but he's mostly outside now.

@JamesCrepea

Auburn receiver Marcus Davis: "I know what I can do, and I'm ready to show it."

@AUGoldMine

Melvin Ray

Melvin Ray's turn: "I definitely feel more like a leader this year."

Ray said the new wave of freshman seems to be "fired up" for this season.

CLmYpD6WwAAitPH.jpg

@TheAUPlainsman

WR Melvin Ray says QB Jeremy Johnson has gone from being like the little brother when he got here 2 years ago, to now Ray follows his lead.

@AUBlog

Melvin Ray said Jeremy Johnson makes the job a lot easier for WRs. Said all you need to worry about now is getting open.

@DuaneRankin

Melvin Ray says JUCO transfer Jason Smith reminds him of Quan Bray. "He takes the game very seriously."

@RyanABlack

Oh, yes, Auburn receiver Melvin Ray can hear Will Muschamp at practice: "We love it. He brings a lot of fire to that side of the ball."

@AUGoldMine

Avery Young

CLmaUCDWgAAvBMI.jpg

Young says everyone on the OL is big enough, strong enough to play.

Young on Ole Miss transfer Austin Golson: "We're sticking behind him, he understands what his role is."

Young on Alex Kozan's return: "Some people would have given up by now."

Avery Young out to talk the OL: "That would be awesome." (On staying in one spot all season.)

@TheAUPlainsman

Avery Young says if had had the type of surgery J.B. Grimes underwent last week, he'd "be laid up somewhere."

@RyanABlack

"We need him," Avery Young about Prattville native Austin Golson, Ole Miss transfer is up for starting spot at center.

@DuaneRankin

Avery Young said he is proud @CoachJBGrimes, and that it shows how much he cares about the players being there on Day 1.

@AUBlog

Guys, I know it's the first day of practice but the amount of inaccuracies in this post is troubling. We need better focus if we are going to be ready for the season opener.

Montravius Adams

CLmcOojWIAA77aS.jpg

DL Montravius Adams on the question of a breakout season: "I'm gonna let the season tell you the answer."

Adams on Carl Lawson's return: "Now that he's back, everybody's happy."

@TheAUPlainsman

Montravius Adams "ain't sayin' nothin'" about Byron Cowart's Chuckie doll.

@AUBlog

Carl Lawson

Auburn DE Carl Lawson says the coaches worry more about his surgically repaired knee than he does

CLmdWoPUAAAlJAm.jpg

@scott4ester

"I'm ready for that first game," Carl Lawson. Said he's never thought about the knee when he came back.

When asked if he has some new moves, Lawson said yes, but wouldn't reveal. "Secret" Lawson said he needs to get some contact reps.

@DuaneRankin

Carl Lawson says he doesn't think about surgically repaired knee. "I play with reckless abandon."

@jeff_shearer

Lawson: "I'm ready for the first game. I'm ready to get back out there. ... I'm ready"

Lawson fully expects to be full contact in scrimmages. Said he needs to be out there -- can't be concerned about limiting reps.

Lawson said Cameron Toney was playing behind him at Buck today.

@AUBlog

Carl Lawson's first impression of Byron Cowart: Freshman like everybody. "Big dude."

@bmarcello

Auburn's Carl Lawson is coming back from a knee injury and "I'm ready for the first game, to get back out and enjoy the sport."

@AUGoldMine

It's great to have some real stuff going on! Hoping CWM can light a fire in the heart of the D to demonstrate that they are not as bad as they looked last season, that they are good enough to take care of business. CWM on their azz from the get-go!

I'm eager to see if a couple of receivers can step up and force opposing defenses to play more than the "Cover Duke" D. No doubt there is the athletic ability. It's the game sense I'm hoping to see. I'm confident the receiving corps will strike fear in the hearts of opposing defenses!

But ..... Tray Matthews. First day of practice? Really? Okay, that's all I'm gonna say.

WDE!

It's great to have some real stuff going on! Hoping CWM can light a fire in the heart of the D to demonstrate that they are not as bad as they looked last season, that they are good enough to take care of business. CWM on their azz from the get-go!

I'm eager to see if a couple of receivers can step up and force opposing defenses to play more than the "Cover Duke" D. No doubt there is the athletic ability. It's the game sense I'm hoping to see. I'm confident the receiving corps will strike fear in the hearts of opposing defenses!

But ..... Tray Matthews. First day of practice? Really? Okay, that's all I'm gonna say.

WDE!

Matthews absence must've been approved, if Gus even commented on it and said he'll be in attendance tomorrow. Who knows what could be going on in his personal life? Could've been a family emergency.

Archived