2015 Preseason Practice - Day 2

RunInRed

So Adams running 2nd team and nobody wants to talk about that? IMO, that's the biggest news out of the first two practices.

*waving hand frantically* I do, I do! I brought it up in the day 1 thread but folks were much more interested in Tray Matthews, I think (which is fair).

I'm hoping this partially means that we have a star emerging in Russell.

That still leaves a DT spot in a 4-3 set, and Adams has experience at DE which you'd think would give him a leg up at DE in a 3-4 with Lawson kicking out to Buck. Could be a motivational ploy, as we've heard that "consistency" is an issue with MA. "Consistency" at some positions can be technique/execution-related, but my severely inferior football brain thinks of it as an effort issue on the interior DL.

Yep. Heavy posiBarnering. Season must be drawing near.

I think Swain is the one who replaced him on the 1st team. The way I see it, it could be one of two things: A motivational tactic by the coaches to get Adams to bust his a** or Swain just beat him out. Either way I'm not exactly thrilled that Adams still doesn't seem to be reaching his full potential.

PosiBarner can't argue.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Adams running 2nd team and nobody wants to talk about that? IMO, that's the biggest news out of the first two practices.

*waving hand frantically* I do, I do! I brought it up in the day 1 thread but folks were much more interested in Tray Matthews, I think (which is fair).

I'm hoping this partially means that we have a star emerging in Russell.

That still leaves a DT spot in a 4-3 set, and Adams has experience at DE which you'd think would give him a leg up at DE in a 3-4 with Lawson kicking out to Buck. Could be a motivational ploy, as we've heard that "consistency" is an issue with MA. "Consistency" at some positions can be technique/execution-related, but my severely inferior football brain thinks of it as an effort issue on the interior DL.

Yep. Heavy posiBarnering. Season must be drawing near.

I think Swain is the one who replaced him on the 1st team. The way I see it, it could be one of two things: A motivational tactic by the coaches to get Adams to bust his a** or Swain just beat him out. Either way I'm not exactly thrilled that Adams still doesn't seem to be reaching his full potential.

I agree Chimes (which i seem to do very often) lol, Adams is more consistent than Gabe was IMO , but still hasn't reached his full potential. He has the potential to be one of the best DL in the nation. I personally think it's more of a motivational ploy but who really knows. I think this staff will get the most out of him by seasons end, or at least I hope so. With the DT rotation, Adams, Swain, Russell, and Lawrence will all get ample snaps this season

Safeties and corners not being in the same room is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.....

Fire Muschamp!

And T-Rob <_<

#firethemall

I like the mall. I think we should keep the mall. :homer:

Safeties and corners not being in the same room is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.....

Fire Muschamp!

And T-Rob <_<

#firethemall

I like the mall. I think we should keep the mall. :homer:

Good point. I don't want to have to pay it unemployment, either.

Fire Muschamp!

And T-Rob <_<

#firethemall

Why, did it get rid of your favorite store?

Mont with the 2s is saying "make up your mind, do you want to be great or not?!" We've heard it from CRG for 2 years now, that he has all of the tools and talent, but does it sporadically. If he could do it every play, he would be a terror.

This is happening all over the field and will sort itself out in due time, they'll either rise to the challenge or stay as a 2.

Mont with the 2s is saying "make up your mind, do you want to be great or not?!" We've heard it from CRG for 2 years now, that he has all of the tools and talent, but does it sporadically. If he could do it every play, he would be a terror.

This is happening all over the field and will sort itself out in due time, they'll either rise to the challenge or stay as a 2.

Makes sense to me.

Makes sense to me.

I think the reason there has been so little talk about this, is because no one knows for sure. The above reason seems to make as much sense as any. It will be interesting to see if he is still second string in a week or so form now.

I know you have access to the internet so I feel pretty certain you've exaggerated here.

Agree. I kind of got the impression they were separated from previous comments with Harbison and Smith....particularly when they discussed Josh b/c he has moved back and forth so much but i wasn't sure if that was the case. They didn't come out and say meetings where separate but i can recall a couple interviews where i think it was Smith joking how he really wanted Josh back with him a few other comments that gave the impression meetings were separate with the safeties and corners.

Agree. I kind of got the impression they were separated from previous comments with Harbison and Smith....particularly when they discussed Josh b/c he has moved back and forth so much but i wasn't sure if that was the case. They didn't come out and say meetings where separate but i can recall a couple interviews where i think it was Smith joking how he really wanted Josh back with him a few other comments that gave the impression meetings were separate with the safeties and corners.

This is correct. The previous regime separated the safeties and star from the corners. Kind of explains the breakdown in on the field communication.

CLreUPPVAAA0XBI.jpg

via [twitter]JLeeAU

Just wanted to remind everybody that the player standing next to Cowart is 6'2 240.

Oh my!

Fire Muschamp!

And T-Rob <_<

#firethemall

Why, did it get rid of your favorite store?

I_c90767_148218.jpg

we separate safeties and corners as well. We come together at the end to work together, but it is more efficient being able to talk a single position rather than splitting time.

Doesn't make sense to me but every coach has their own style. Imo the chemistry is just as important with a secondary as o line. I'm glad it's changed now. I would be interested to see as far as college the success rate of the coaches who does that and compare it to the coaches that does not.

I see Coach Boom just now said what I said earlier this morning in this post about o line and secondary. Go figure.

i think what CRG is doing with monty is nothing more then mixing and matching which rotations of guys work best with each other. CRG likes to rotate dline groups to keep everybody from being wore out early, maybe with it being early in camp CRG is trying to help move some of the younger guys along by having them line up beside someone he(CRG) knows can help them began to adjust to big boy college football

i think what CRG is doing with monty is nothing more then mixing and matching which rotations of guys work best with each other. CRG likes to rotate dline groups to keep everybody from being wore out early, maybe with it being early in camp CRG is trying to help move some of the younger guys along by having them line up beside someone he(CRG) knows can help them began to adjust to big boy college football

I'm a big fan of rotating a lot of guys on the D-line. The 2013 TAMU game was the best example I've ever seen of the benefits of D-line depth. However, with Monty I'm not so sure it isn't based off of his on-field output. Similar to Gabe Wright, Adams has underwhelmed during most of his time at Auburn. Believe me, no one would be happier than me for him to lock down a DT spot, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I think he's doing a lot more than just mixing and matching. You heard Russell at the end of Day 3 talk about Adams' inconsistency. He probably wasn't supposed to say that, but it's probably also a glimpse behind the curtain.

From what I've seen from Adams, if we have consistent options in Russell and Swain, I like the move. Adams can be dominant. Even with Lawson, he may be our most disruptive defensive player, but he's not a Freshman coming off the bench for 20 snaps a game and making a splash play every now and then. He's a Junior that we need to rely on for three downs of quality play. It's a natural progression.

Early on, it's all encouragement. We're not relying on you every down so when you go in there and make a huge play, that's icing on the cake. You get tons of praise because everyone sees that, but really, the every down guys set the table. You just came and cleaned up. Later, we shift from looking a splash play here or there to relying on you every snap. If a guy can't give it to you 3, 4, 5 snaps in a row, he's not your top guy, and if he is your top guy, you're not going to be very good. Adams has shown the flashes. Now, we need him to be a consistent force. If he can't do that, he's a 2, and we need to find the 1s to set the table.

The next step is on Adams. He's got every tool you could want: size, strength, burst, hands, etc. He has to put it on display consistently or he has to play with the 2s and give us 20-30 good snaps a game. Nick Fairley went through the same thing. In 2009, the big plays were great. In 2010, we needed more consistency. He delivered. He was well-coached both years, but Rocker didn't make him great. Nick made Nick great. The coaching didn't change from one year to the next. The player changed. Adams is well-coached. They've put expectations on him, and he's either going to make a leap and meet them or he's going to be a high-quality sub.

Great post. ^

You heard Russell at the end of Day 3 talk about Adams' inconsistency. He probably wasn't supposed to say that, but it's probably also a glimpse behind the curtain.

Yeah, I think that he fumbled a compliment a little bit.

I think he's doing a lot more than just mixing and matching. You heard Russell at the end of Day 3 talk about Adams' inconsistency. He probably wasn't supposed to say that, but it's probably also a glimpse behind the curtain.

From what I've seen from Adams, if we have consistent options in Russell and Swain, I like the move. Adams can be dominant. Even with Lawson, he may be our most disruptive defensive player, but he's not a Freshman coming off the bench for 20 snaps a game and making a splash play every now and then. He's a Junior that we need to rely on for three downs of quality play. It's a natural progression.

Early on, it's all encouragement. We're not relying on you every down so when you go in there and make a huge play, that's icing on the cake. You get tons of praise because everyone sees that, but really, the every down guys set the table. You just came and cleaned up. Later, we shift from looking a splash play here or there to relying on you every snap. If a guy can't give it to you 3, 4, 5 snaps in a row, he's not your top guy, and if he is your top guy, you're not going to be very good. Adams has shown the flashes. Now, we need him to be a consistent force. If he can't do that, he's a 2, and we need to find the 1s to set the table.

The next step is on Adams. He's got every tool you could want: size, strength, burst, hands, etc. He has to put it on display consistently or he has to play with the 2s and give us 20-30 good snaps a game. Nick Fairley went through the same thing. In 2009, the big plays were great. In 2010, we needed more consistency. He delivered. He was well-coached both years, but Rocker didn't make him great. Nick made Nick great. The coaching didn't change from one year to the next. The player changed. Adams is well-coached. They've put expectations on him, and he's either going to make a leap and meet them or he's going to be a high-quality sub.

Great post, man.

Care to expound on that?

Kidding...strong post.

Archived