Note on Auburn Run-Defense

StatTiger

IMO, run-defense should be the top priority this season for the Auburn defense. During the 2010 season, Auburn had defensive issues but run-defense was not one of them. The Tigers finished No. 9 in the nation in run-defense, No. 1 in the conference. During the 14 games, Auburn allowed only 3 of 14 opponents to rush for more than 150-yards that season.

Since that season, run-defense has gone south, which is why I believe it should be the top priority on defense.

From 2011-2014, here is the percentage of games, each team in the SEC held their opponent to under 150-yards rushing:

Alabama ............... 81.5%

Florida ................. 70.0%

LSU ...................... 69.8%

Missouri ................ 67.5%

Arkansas .............. 64.0%

South Carolina ..... 57.7%

Georgia ................ 57.4%

Vanderbilt ............. 52.9%

Miss State ............. 51.9%

Ole Miss ................ 49.0%

Tennessee ............ 44.9%

Texas A&M ............ 43.6%

Auburn .................. 40.4%

Kentucky ............... 26.5%

The league average during this time span is 55.7% with Kentucky finishing dead last in the conference. Auburn finished last in the SEC-West. It's good to see UF was No. 2 under Will Muschamp. With the level of talent Auburn is capable of recruiting, there is no reason they should not be in the 55-60% range. During the Tommy Tuberville era (1999-2008), AU hit at 71.2% or 89 out of 125 games. AU compiled a record of 72-17 in those games. From 2002-2007, Auburn's defense did it 77.9% of the time, with a 50-10 record. Auburn did it before, which means they can likely perform at a much higher standard. The last time Muschamp ran the Auburn defense, the Tigers held 73.1% of their opponents under 150-yards rushing with a record of 18-1 during those games.

The Auburn offense averaged 328-yards and 25 PPG during the 2 seasons Will Muschamp was the DC. He was often forced to be conservative in big games, knowing he could not afford to surrender the big play, with an Auburn offense struggling to score points against quality competition.

No doubt our run-defense is critical for SEC success and isn't that interesting considering we were recently the first SEC school to EVER lead the nation in rushing. Maybe because SEC defenses need to be solid against the run because SEC offenses are historically run-first? Even with our gaudy Gus-era point totals, we're run-first.

This just in: We have been awful on defense for way too long. I hope Muschamp can turn that around. I miss the days (like when I was in school mid-1980s) when we were reliably stout defensively (for the most part).

This just in: We have been awful on defense for way too long. I hope Muschamp can turn that around. I miss the days (like when I was in school mid-1980s) when we were reliably stout defensively (for the most part).

The definition of being "stout" on defense must be redefined in this current era. During the 1989 season, 29.2% of the offenses at the D1 level, averaged 400-yards or more per game for the season. During the 2014 season, it was 50.4% of the teams.

The definition of being "stout" on defense must be redefined in this current era. During the 1989 season, 29.2% of the offenses at the D1 level, averaged 400-yards or more per game for the season. During the 2014 season, it was 50.4% of the teams.

I hear you and I completely understand. I don't expect a return to that era statistically but would like to have a feeling we can stop a team when we have to-haven't had any confidence in our ability to do that for at least 5 years.

I apologize for the idiot posting explicit images. Please let us know if you see any further activity like this, but I think we got it contained. Thank you to all the members that reported posts.

I hear you and I completely understand. I don't expect a return to that era statistically but would like to have a feeling we can stop a team when we have to-haven't had any confidence in our ability to do that for at least 5 years.

Gotcha and I agree. Would be nice to see more consistency on "D".

Gotcha and I agree. Would be nice to see more consistency on "D".

Oh,and thanks for your work. I really look forward to your posts- always very informative. WDE!

Didn't realize we were that bad but it's not hard to believe if I think back on it. I love our offense I think it's the best in college football but the defense is still the key. Can't expect to score 40 every game.

Stat, I'm sure you have the numbers, but i seem to remember that defense being VERY stout in the red zone as well.

Comparing defensive stats for the recent past with the 1980s or 1990s is like comparing home runs in the dead ball versus live ball eras. It's fair to compare AU's defense with our conference peers but to reach back and expect that any school can consistently hold the opposition to 300 yards or less is unrealistic. Even Muschamp tried to defuse that issue in a presser the other day, but noting that it's not about stats....it's about winning and losing.

Comparing defensive stats for the recent past with the 1980s or 1990s is like comparing home runs in the dead ball versus live ball eras. It's fair to compare AU's defense with our conference peers but to reach back and expect that any school can consistently hold the opposition to 300 yards or less is unrealistic. Even Muschamp tried to defuse that issue in a presser the other day, but noting that it's not about stats....it's about winning and losing.

Agree. Compare me to the other people doing my job right now, not to somebody who did it within a very different context.

I would like to see some realistic numbers our defense needs to achieve in order for us to compete for the SEC title and the NC. Here are stats that I hope we can obtain:

1. Total points allowed average: 19 per game

2. Rushing yardage allowed per game: 150

3. Passing yardage allowed per game: 160

4. Total defense yardage allowed per game average: 310 yards per game.

If we do this, what are our chances of having a championship type of season?

Archived