Video appears to show police shooting man with hands raised

TitanTiger

A news station in Texas has obtained a video—apparently shot by a bystander—that appears to show sheriff deputies shooting and killing a shirtless man who has his hands raised in the air. The video seems to be at odds with their own version of the event, in which they say after they encountered an injured woman holding a baby following a domestic-violence call, they then spent 20 minutes attempting to subdue a suspect who was armed with a knife. According their report, they used both a Taser and a shield before shooting Gilbert Flores. In the video however—which is graphic—Flores is seen standing still with his hands in the air before officers shot him at point blank range. The incident is being investigated and two of the deputies are on administrative leave.

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/slices/video-appears-show-police-shooting-man-his-hands-raised

I watched the video. Initially the guy is running around but then is stationary. Police look to be maybe 20 feet away from him. He is standing still and raises his hands. Then they just shoot him.

If the domestic violence charge is true, I'm not saying the perp isn't an a-hole. But they police gave a completely different account of this than what the video shows.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without the video, write the report it happened the way they say it happened and one more statistic NOT showing a guy killed by a Bad policeman to show it rarely happens.

His hands were clearly up for a while. The practice of rotten barrel police departments corroborating the findings of their crooked cops is finally getting exposed. Thank goodness that the camera was recording.

Here is an example so that the incompetent Birmingham detective can easily see the right and wrong way in handling a criminal. He thinks the police brutality incidents are making it less clear on how to react with his gun and I think the opposite. Just don't be a murderer and you are okay.

Without the video, write the report it happened the way they say it happened and one more statistic NOT showing a guy killed by a Bad policeman to show it rarely happens.

Assuming the psychical evidence & rest of the evidence syncs up, which we can't say would have or not in this case.

A 911 operator had taken a call from the mobile phone of a person concerned about a suspicious person and possible burglary. No house number was given, so officers responded to a house that fit the description of the home, police said.

A 911 operator had taken a call from the mobile phone of a person concerned about a suspicious person and possible burglary. No house number was given, so officers responded to a house that fit the description of the home, police said.

Yes, I read that. However, I do not consider a lack of information given by a 911 caller or dispatcher to be adequate justification for entering an unconfirmed home, then shooting the home owner's dog, the homeowner, and one of your fellow officers. If you have three officers present, you can take the time to knock on the door, announce that you are the police, and ascertain whether you are at the right place or not. This is especially true when the call was simply for a "suspicious person" and "possible burglary", and the only evidence they have of a crime in progress is a call with a poor description and an unlocked back door.

His hands were clearly up for a while. The practice of rotten barrel police departments corroborating the findings of their crooked cops is finally getting exposed. Thank goodness that the camera was recording.

Here is an example so that the incompetent Birmingham detective can easily see the right and wrong way in handling a criminal. He thinks the police brutality incidents are making it less clear on how to react with his gun and I think the opposite. Just don't be a murderer and you are okay.

Police might want to start studying counterinsurgency warfare. That's what they're up against.

A news station in Texas has obtained a video—apparently shot by a bystander—that appears to show sheriff deputies shooting and killing a shirtless man who has his hands raised in the air. The video seems to be at odds with their own version of the event, in which they say after they encountered an injured woman holding a baby following a domestic-violence call, they then spent 20 minutes attempting to subdue a suspect who was armed with a knife. According their report, they used both a Taser and a shield before shooting Gilbert Flores. In the video however—which is graphic—Flores is seen standing still with his hands in the air before officers shot him at point blank range. The incident is being investigated and two of the deputies are on administrative leave.

http://www.relevantm...is-hands-raised

I watched the video. Initially the guy is running around but then is stationary. Police look to be maybe 20 feet away from him. He is standing still and raises his hands. Then they just shoot him.

If the domestic violence charge is true, I'm not saying the perp isn't an a-hole. But they police gave a completely different account of this than what the video shows.

Why is it so hard to equip cops with body cams? Call the perp an a-hole or whatever, but with body cams perhaps another live could have been saved. This is getting ridiculous.

Yes, I read that. However, I do not consider a lack of information given by a 911 caller or dispatcher to be adequate justification for entering an unconfirmed home, then shooting the home owner's dog, the homeowner, and one of your fellow officers. If you have three officers present, you can take the time to knock on the door, announce that you are the police, and ascertain whether you are at the right place or not. This is especially true when the call was simply for a "suspicious person" and "possible burglary", and the only evidence they have of a crime in progress is a call with a poor description and an unlocked back door.

I have no problem with them entering the home, but the rest is crazy.

I'm sure none of you will care, but to me it is too far away to tell if he has a weapon in his hand, in his waist band. in the split second before presumably before the first shot, the officer on the left duck/flinches, it appears the suspect starts to pull his hands down at around this same time. Without audio or previous video it is too quick to pass judgment, except for all of you who seem eager to. It could be that the duck/flinch was due to the other officer firing? Why did the other officer fire? He believe the suspect was making a move to a weapon in his waist band? Prior to this, the man was in the front yard, then ran up on the porch, then to the driveway, then beside the police SUV. This video is too far away to tell if the man had something in his hand or not.

Given the information they had, there was no reason to enter the home, and definitely no reason to enter the home aggressively. A potential burglary is not an urgent matter of life and death. Surround the home (three officers on scene), knock on the door and announce that you are the police, ascertain the situation. If it is a burglary, the burglar is now contained in the home. If you are at the wrong home, you can find that out quickly without anyone having a gun pointed at them or being shot.

I will give you a hypothetical example of why:

My back door is frequently unlocked when I am home and awake. If someone walks through that door and shoots at my dog, they then get to deal with a homeowner that is armed with legal automatic weapons, and it's going to take more than yelling "police!" after they have walked through that door and shot my dog to get me to believe them. One or more of those three officers is likely not going home that night after he receives my defensive AK-47 fire. I will probably be killed by the remaining one or two, or the barrage of them that come after "Officer down!" goes out over the radio. All could have been avoided by knocking on the door and letting me know they were the police, in advance.

With that little information, walking through the door like that was tactically stupid, and the officer and home owner have now learned why.

It's a tough job, even when you're not targeted by psycho assassins egged on by national hate movements.

Given the information they had, there was no reason to enter the home, and definitely no reason to enter the home aggressively. A potential burglary is not an urgent matter of life and death. Surround the home (three officers on scene), knock on the door and announce that you are the police, ascertain the situation. If it is a burglary, the burglar is now contained in the home. If you are at the wrong home, you can find that out quickly without anyone having a gun pointed at them or being shot.

I will give you a hypothetical example of why:

My back door is frequently unlocked when I am home and awake. If someone walks through that door and shoots at my dog, they then get to deal with a homeowner that is armed with legal automatic weapons, and it's going to take more than yelling "police!" after they have walked through that door and shot my dog to get me to believe them. One or more of those three officers is likely not going home that night after he receives my defensive AK-47 fire. I will probably be killed by the remaining one or two, or the barrage of them that come after "Officer down!" goes out over the radio. All could have been avoided by knocking on the door and letting me know they were the police, in advance.

With that little information, walking through the door like that was tactically stupid, and the officer and home owner have now learned why.

Hard to argue with such logic Stry.

I'm sure none of you will care, but to me it is too far away to tell if he has a weapon in his hand, in his waist band. in the split second before presumably before the first shot, the officer on the left duck/flinches, it appears the suspect starts to pull his hands down at around this same time. Without audio or previous video it is too quick to pass judgment, except for all of you who seem eager to. It could be that the duck/flinch was due to the other officer firing? Why did the other officer fire? He believe the suspect was making a move to a weapon in his waist band? Prior to this, the man was in the front yard, then ran up on the porch, then to the driveway, then beside the police SUV. This video is too far away to tell if the man had something in his hand or not.

The suspect's arm movement is within less than a second of when the camera records the gun's report. Considering that the gun was pointed in the opposite direction of the camera, I am inclined to believe that the suspect's arm coming down was due to being shot. The time between his arm coming down and him collapsing would be measured in milliseconds. That's an awfully quick reaction time from the shooter when all his immediate perception would have caught is maybe a twitch before he fired. The suspect's raised hands were clearly signalling his intent.

The cop in N Chicago has died. Another fallen in the line of duty.

Wonder if a certain POS here still finds it funny.

I've watched the video three times now. His doesn't flinch or pull his hands down until they shoot him. Plus the officers own report knock down the idea of him having any sort of range weapon in his hand. He supposedly had a knife. That was it. But their account of things before the video came out is shown to be a complete fabrication.

Sorry, you're reaching.

Police might want to start studying counterinsurgency warfare. That's what they're up against.

I agree. The relations between the police and the communities need to be improved and our criminal system needs to be fixed. I'm sure you know more about COIN than I do though because all I did in relation to COIN was use the BAT and HIIDE occasionally and I only had one class on COIN.

Archived