Video appears to show police shooting man with hands raised

TitanTiger

16 cops have been killed since August 1st. There needs to be at least 100 before people realize there's a war going on out there in the streets. Just ask the deputy filling up his patrol car in Texas over the weekend (shot in cold blood for no other reason than wearing the uniform...over and over and over again).

Bad cops among us? Sure are! Much like bad people........

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

16 cops have been killed since August 1st. There needs to be at least 100 before people realize there's a war going on out there in the streets. Just ask the deputy filling up his patrol car in Texas over the weekend (shot in cold blood for no other reason than wearing the uniform...over and over and over again).

I don't know about you, but I have higher expectations for cops than I do criminals.

I don't know about you, but I have higher expectations for cops than I do criminals.

Take a look around you! Your expectations no longer meet reality....sad as it is, the life of a cop in today's society is starting to look more like Mosul than a peace loving democratic state. It's not an excuse....but sometimes reality sux.

Take a look around you! Your expectations no longer meet reality....sad as it is, the life of a cop in today's society is starting to look more like Mosul than a peace loving democratic state. It's not an excuse....but sometimes reality sux.

I'm wrong to expect superior behavior and judgment from cops than I do criminals? Damn, learn something new every day.

I'm wrong to expect superior behavior and judgment from cops than I do criminals? Damn, learn something new every day.

Not wrong, Titan....just observant.

I'm just saying, criminals do unlawful, terrible things by definition. Police are entrusted with authority and the right to use force, sometimes lethal, in their role as protectors and enforcers of law. I get mad when criminals break the law. I am incensed when people we entrust to have better judgment than not just criminals but the general public abuse that trust.

I'm just saying, criminals do unlawful, terrible things by definition. Police are entrusted with authority and the right to use force, sometimes lethal, in their role as protectors and enforcers of law. I get mad when criminals break the law. I am incensed when people we entrust to have better judgment than not just criminals but the general public abuse that trust.

I am as well...but the current environment is leading all parties to do things that they shouldn't. Reform is needed in almost every single sector of public office or agency.

A 911 operator had taken a call from the mobile phone of a person concerned about a suspicious person and possible burglary. No house number was given, so officers responded to a house that fit the description of the home, police said.

Yes, I read that. However, I do not consider a lack of information given by a 911 caller or dispatcher to be adequate justification for entering an unconfirmed home, then shooting the home owner's dog, the homeowner, and one of your fellow officers. If you have three officers present, you can take the time to knock on the door, announce that you are the police, and ascertain whether you are at the right place or not. This is especially true when the call was simply for a "suspicious person" and "possible burglary", and the only evidence they have of a crime in progress is a call with a poor description and an unlocked back door.

Lack of info adds to an already fluid situation. But we agree. There seems to have been adequate back up to properly perform a knock-first and then question approach.

This is similar to the Cambridge situation, where a college professor was questioned by a cop who was responding to a call. That's what lead to the Beer Summit, at the WH, after Obama stated that the police " acted stupidly ". In contrast, I'd say that cop did everything by the book and these 3 were the ones who " acted stupidly ". May have cost at least one of them their job.

Absurdity.

A 911 operator had taken a call from the mobile phone of a person concerned about a suspicious person and possible burglary. No house number was given, so officers responded to a house that fit the description of the home, police said.

Yes, I read that. However, I do not consider a lack of information given by a 911 caller or dispatcher to be adequate justification for entering an unconfirmed home, then shooting the home owner's dog, the homeowner, and one of your fellow officers. If you have three officers present, you can take the time to knock on the door, announce that you are the police, and ascertain whether you are at the right place or not. This is especially true when the call was simply for a "suspicious person" and "possible burglary", and the only evidence they have of a crime in progress is a call with a poor description and an unlocked back door.

Lack of info adds to an already fluid situation. But we agree. There seems to have been adequate back up to properly perform a knock-first and then question approach.

This is similar to the Cambridge situation, where a college professor was questioned by a cop who was responding to a call. That's what lead to the Beer Summit, at the WH, after Obama stated that the police " acted stupidly ". In contrast, I'd say that cop did everything by the book and these 3 were the ones who " acted stupidly ". May have cost at least one of them their job.

i agree. On both accounts.

His hands were clearly up for a while. The practice of rotten barrel police departments corroborating the findings of their crooked cops is finally getting exposed. Thank goodness that the camera was recording.

Here is an example so that the incompetent Birmingham detective can easily see the right and wrong way in handling a criminal. He thinks the police brutality incidents are making it less clear on how to react with his gun and I think the opposite. Just don't be a murderer and you are okay.

Police might want to start studying counterinsurgency warfare. That's what they're up against.

I agree. The relations between the police and the communities need to be improved and our criminal system needs to be fixed. I'm sure you know more about COIN than I do though because all I did in relation to COIN was use the BAT and HIIDE occasionally and I only had one class on COIN.

Jeff give this book a read. It is a fantastic compare and contrast.

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Eat-Soup-Knife-Counterinsurgency/dp/0226567702

A news station in Texas has obtained a video—apparently shot by a bystander—that appears to show sheriff deputies shooting and killing a shirtless man who has his hands raised in the air. The video seems to be at odds with their own version of the event, in which they say after they encountered an injured woman holding a baby following a domestic-violence call, they then spent 20 minutes attempting to subdue a suspect who was armed with a knife. According their report, they used both a Taser and a shield before shooting Gilbert Flores. In the video however—which is graphic—Flores is seen standing still with his hands in the air before officers shot him at point blank range. The incident is being investigated and two of the deputies are on administrative leave.

http://www.relevantm...is-hands-raised

I watched the video. Initially the guy is running around but then is stationary. Police look to be maybe 20 feet away from him. He is standing still and raises his hands. Then they just shoot him.

If the domestic violence charge is true, I'm not saying the perp isn't an a-hole. But they police gave a completely different account of this than what the video shows.

The video shows his hand obscured, and he appeared to be moving moments prior to the shot.

Absurdity.

Might be absurd but it's real.

A news station in Texas has obtained a video—apparently shot by a bystander—that appears to show sheriff deputies shooting and killing a shirtless man who has his hands raised in the air. The video seems to be at odds with their own version of the event, in which they say after they encountered an injured woman holding a baby following a domestic-violence call, they then spent 20 minutes attempting to subdue a suspect who was armed with a knife. According their report, they used both a Taser and a shield before shooting Gilbert Flores. In the video however—which is graphic—Flores is seen standing still with his hands in the air before officers shot him at point blank range. The incident is being investigated and two of the deputies are on administrative leave.

http://www.relevantm...is-hands-raised

I watched the video. Initially the guy is running around but then is stationary. Police look to be maybe 20 feet away from him. He is standing still and raises his hands. Then they just shoot him.

If the domestic violence charge is true, I'm not saying the perp isn't an a-hole. But they police gave a completely different account of this than what the video shows.

The video shows his hand obscured, and he appeared to be moving moments prior to the shot.

You've lost your damn mind. His hands are both up. It's getting shot that causes them to come down. You aren't registering that the gun report is slightly delayed. But there was no movement before they shot him.

And the officers know that...which is why they falsified their report.

And now the department has the gall to attack the media for... reporting the news.

Nothing to see here, folks. All 700,000 cops are good, all 2,500+ who they've killed in the past two years are rapists, murderers, thieves, and worthless scumbags who got what they deserved.

This is where I used to say "unbelievable."

Absurdity.

Might be absurd but it's real.

Apparently some folks think that just because something is truly absurd, that it therefore cant be real.

The current death rate for cops in America lately could be higher than that of troops in Mosul.

http://www.npr.org/s...r-the-past-year

From 2003 to 2009, the Justice Department found that 4,813 people died while a member of law enforcement was trying to arrest or restrain them, or shortly thereafter. How you look at those (again, imperfect) numbers is largely a matter of framing, as we've previously reported:

"If you're looking at the universe of all arrests, it feels like arrest-related deaths are exceedingly rare. The report noted that those 4,800 arrest-related deaths came during a period in which the FBI estimated that there were nearly 98 million arrests made nationally.
That's .005 percent of all arrests, some of which will be deemed justifiable homicides.

"But if you consider these numbers simply as a tally of arrest-related deaths by themselves, it happens frequently enough that any such case might make a headline every single day.
in 2007 found that nearly 9,500 people across the country were shot by the police between 1980 and 2005 — 'an average of nearly one fatal shooting per day.' "

Do fatal shootings happen? Sure do. At some points in time, almost one a day. But what is the backdrop?

The overall statistic is that .005% (5 thousandths of 1%) of TOTAL ARRESTS actually end in death.

Do fatal shootings happen? Sure do. At some points in time, almost one a day. But what is the backdrop?

The overall statistic is that .005% (5 thousandths of 1%) of TOTAL ARRESTS actually end in death.

Well, good heavens I'd hope so. Most arrests aren't for violent crimes in the first place.

But the fact remains, this is happening and for some groups of people (read: "not white") it's become all too familiar to worry about even the encounters with police that no one should ever have a fear of death on their mind.

This is just more of the historical-hysterical difference between Liberals and Conservatives. On any one topic one side will be historical and one side will be hysterical.

Are there some bad actors in the ranks of the police, YES.

Does that mean we blame all cops? HELL NO.

We have 300M weapons of some kind in America, handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc. 300M. Last nite they all sat at home and did absolutely nothing wrong. Just like an infinite number of nites previous to last nite and an infinite number of nites to come. We have 11,000? handguns in the hands of criminals doing the vast amount of killing and other crimes in America. The number is likely less or could be more depending on when we talk about. that means that we have about .00365% of all weapons here in the US we really need to worry about. If you want to talk about "handguns" there are 114M of those in the US. If we just use that stat, .00965% of guns are involved in deaths. There are those among us, that in their noble zeal to eliminate 11,000 or so deaths a year want to regulate or outright ban 300M or maybe just 114M weapons. What they dont see is that want to regulate the law abiding citizen and actually do nothing against the criminals that are using guns to kill people. If you want to regulate 300M or even just 114M Weapons with all the costs and complexities to stop less than 10 thousandths of one percent of those guns from doing harm, why dont we just go after the bad actors?

There are logical, sane, workable answers to problems that do not include infringing on the rights of others.

Well, good heavens I'd hope so. Most arrests aren't for violent crimes in the first place.

But the fact remains, this is happening and for some groups of people (read: "not white") it's become all too familiar to worry about even the encounters with police that no one should ever have a fear of death on their mind.

I totally agree on the NOT WHITE comment. But the supposedly non-violent traffic stops that turn into killing someone are out there as well. Any police interaction can potentially lead to a shooting given crazy people in the wrong situation. The cops that were shot in the car, there was no violent crime involved before. Michael Brown? It was a petty theft, threatened violence but none actually perpetrated. and on and on. Lots of shootings start as nonviolent crimes.

I totally agree on the NOT WHITE comment. But the supposedly non-violent traffic stops that turn into killing someone are out there as well. Any police interaction can potentially lead to a shooting given crazy people in the wrong situation. The cops that were shot in the car, there was no violent crime involved before. Michael Brown? It was a petty theft, threatened violence but none actually perpetrated. and on and on. Lots of shootings start as nonviolent crimes.

I don't think anyone is under the impression that police work isn't dangerous. Or can be. And I think you find that most people give police the benefit of the doubt in edge cases - those times where a split-second decision has to be made and there's legitimate reasons, based on what the officer knows at that moment, to feel threatened.

I'm not anti-police. But in situations like the video above, or the one in S. Carolina where the guy is fleeing (from a traffic stop) and he's 20-30 feet away with his back turned and gets shot and killed, I think we have a right to expect better judgment from people we entrust with this kind of authority and ability to use deadly force.

One thing I'm convinced of, no matter what happens or how cold blooded a murder may be there will ALWAYS be a person that will make an excuse for it. Look at his rap sheet, it was dark, he resisted, he twitched, he shrugged his shoulder, he shouldn't have been out, he should've said yes sir......etc, etc. Then I'm supposed to believe I have nothing to be worried about? I know potentially every stop if something were to happen to me even if it's on video people would raise enough doubt that I could be murdered and there's a chance that if a policeman was the one that did it he'll go free. And at MOST I'd be a small statistic saying well it USUALLY doesn't happen that way....tough break

Archived