Video appears to show police shooting man with hands raised

TitanTiger

Don't recall anyone siding with the cop in N Charleston.

Did he go free?

I'm pretty sure the cop was charged. But the usual chorus of dunces chimed in early that the guy would still be alive if he hadn't run.

are you saying he would have been murdered if he hadn't ran?

No, I'm saying it isn't relevant. A suspect fleeing is not a justification to shoot him. So whether he ran or not, it does not matter.

If you hit your kid so hard that he was knocked off balance and hit his head causing brain trauma, is it really relevant to say "well if he hadn't been back talking me, that wouldn't have happened"?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

100% sure had he not run or not resisted arrest that he'd not have been shot. That's the world I live in .

Yeah well I'm 100 percent sure that guy also drank water at some point in his life. Your statistic is s***

It's not a stat. It's reality.

And you were appealing to logic earlier. Lol

100% sure had he not run or not resisted arrest that he'd not have been shot. That's the world I live in .

Yeah well I'm 100 percent sure that guy also drank water at some point in his life. Your statistic is s***

It's not a stat. It's reality.

And you were appealing to logic earlier. Lol

Yes, I was. How is that funny ? It's fully consistent to what I said. It was exactly what I said. You seem confused

Did he go free?

I'm pretty sure the cop was charged. But the usual chorus of dunces chimed in early that the guy would still be alive if he hadn't run.

No, I'm saying it isn't relevant. A suspect fleeing is not a justification to shoot him. So whether he ran or not, it does not matter.

If you hit your kid so hard that he was knocked off balance and hit his head causing brain trauma, is it really relevant to say "well if he hadn't been back talking me, that wouldn't have happened"?

no. But you could show it to your kid and tell him that back talking can lead to brain trauma.

Did he go free?

no. But you could show it to your kid and tell him that back talking can lead to brain trauma.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Jeff - you're getting lost in mssage board idiocy. Don't run from a cop or cause a confrontation , you'll not be shot by a cop. It's a simple, basic truth.

Suicide by cop could have been the guy's motive but that's not the world raptor lives in.

Jeff - you're getting lost iMessage board idiocy. Don't run from a cop or cause a confrontation , you'll not be shot by a cop. It's a simple, basic truth.

You claimed 100% and that is illogical. The irony of a person appealing to "logic." All I have to do is appeal to ONE case where the police shot a victim when the victim wasn't running or confronting a cop and your argument is proven fallacious.

Exhibit A) http://mobile.nytimes.com/2010/07/14/us/14justice.html

Cops have been trained to catch fleeing suspects. That's just part of the job. Saying the Victim wouldn't have died if he didn't run is just an unfounded distraction to the fact that there is YET AGAIN another case of police brutality.

i didn't excuse the murder. I do think it is fair to point out one sure fire way to avoid being shot. Other than tamir rice and this guy in Atlanta show me who didn't do anything to escalate the situation to make the officer use bad judgment. Not many, i assure you. That's why i don't go around scared of police. I am about A thousand times more likely to get killed by a car jacker or a road rager.

If you have to present exceptions, you have not presented a "sure fire way to avoid being shot". Whatever a person does to "escalate the situation" is not justification for an officer's subsequent use of bad judgment, specifically when talking about application of aggressive or deadly force. Officers are supposed to be trained in how / when to de-escalate a situation and how / when to use force. They are supposed to be trained in how to exercise good judgment in those situations. What a person does prior to an officer crossing the line into bad judgment is only relevant when creating a training program to explain where the officer went wrong.

The general public does not get training on how to properly behave during police encounters. What may seem obvious (common sense) to you, or I, or even most people does not make it obvious to all, and someone's inability to comprehend the obvious and therefore behave properly does not mandate a death sentence.

Personally, I am not scared of the police either. Traffic cops annoy me, where that has more to do with the policies that put them out there (not their fault), but the police in general do not. That said, my own experience with knowing more than a few local cops had led me to place them in one of three basic categories: good cops, cops that probably should not be cops, and bad cops. Good cops have that proper combination of natural intuition/instinct/gut, ethics, a desire to serve, and training. The former three are things that cannot be taught, but are highly integral to judgment in the field. Bad cops are self-explanatory. Cops that probably should not be cops are really what concern me the most. They are not inherently bad, and they have no evil or sadistic motive. They are just the kind of officers that tend to be more reflexive with their reactions. What I mean is, they are the kind of officer that is more likely to default to aggressive command presence and/or force when the situation ventures off into the realm of abnormal. They are not bad or immoral people, just trained people with a sometimes inaccurate barometer for when training is not applicable and creative thinking or even common sense is more useful. I think of policing in general as very much a thinking man's game, and not a reflexive/reactive one.

It is possible that my personal experience with the locals is not necessarily representative of anything other than the locals, and your mileage may vary. However, I suspect it is pretty accurate generally.

Jeff - you're lost in idiocy if a massive natural disaster coupled with wide spread looting is part of the norm by which you measure such things.

You're being ridiculous for effect.

Jeff - you're getting lost in mssage board idiocy. Don't run from a cop or cause a confrontation , you'll not be shot by a cop. It's a simple, basic truth.

A cop has no right to shoot you for running from him. Unless you're running at someone with a machete.

A cop has no right to shoot you for running from him. Unless you're running at someone with a machete.

See ? That's contradictory right there! :laugh:

Of course if such a qualifier exists, it changes the situation.

Jeff - you're lost in idiocy if a massive natural disaster coupled with wide spread looting is part of the norm by which you measure such things.

ah hell that is just one example of many. Still, it did prove yourassertion wrong.

So are you saying it is okay for cops to open fire on hungry families in the midst of a natural disaster?

See ? That's contradictory right there! :laugh:

Of course if such a qualifier exists, it changes the situation.

No, it doesn't. Because you aren't shooting at him for simply running. You're shooting at him because he's attempting to attack someone. Merely running doesn't isn't a justification.

I'm starting to wonder if there is any scenario that would get some folks to stop giving the police officer all the benefit of the doubt. I swear it seems like a cop could be sodomizing a paraplegic on national television and only then would they finally say, "Well that's just plain wrong."

Then again, there's probably someone that would say they've known some paraplegics with some freakish upper body strength so who knows what happened before the video began. <_<

ah hell that is just one example of many. Still, it did prove yourassertion wrong.

So are you saying it is okay for cops to open fire on hungry families in the midst of a natural disaster?

Oh absolutely. That's exactly what I'm saying. Shoot the family puppy. And grandmama too.

Idiocy.

Oh absolutely. That's exactly what I'm saying. Shoot the family puppy. And grandmama too.

Idiocy.

You pointed to the extreme situation like that justified his extreme actions. Don't be mad because I proved you wrong, bro. Rub some salve on it and it will be alright.

It's funny as hell that you think you proved me wrong.

Bless your heart. :laugh:

All you did was double down on stupid.

Own it.

It's funny as hell that you think you proved me wrong.

Bless your heart. :laugh:/>

All you did was double down on stupid.

Own it.

You never answered my question. What is the logical opposite to a must be true statement? You also fail to acknowledge that all it takes to wreck a must be true statement is to give one example where the sufficient does not fulfill the necessary. You were wrong. Sit down and shut up.

I replied to your question. My answer was you are getting stuck on messageboard idiocy. And that's all I'm gonna say about the matter. Feel free to continue asking relevant questions, I'm just not gonna respond.

It might be message board idiocy to you but to others it is proof that are full of s*** when you appeal to logic but a few minutes later you declare with hundred percent certainty an event will happen one way every time.

You not liking basic truth doesn't = to me being full of s***. You're just being stubborn & childish while trying to " win " the Internet.

Sit down son, game's over.

You not liking basic truth doesn't = to me being full of s***. You're just being stubborn & childish while trying to " win " the Internet.

Sit down son, game's over.

Reading Comp is an issue for you as well. Any others?

Stric9, we mostly agree. Nothing justifies an unjustified death. That is not what i am doing. But i disagree that the public should not be better informed to comply with LE. We have demonstrated that you cannot properly recruit and train 800,000 people do perform this job flawlessly. Especially at that payrate. Like another poster(former cop) posted, 5thousandths of 1 % of encounters results in a shooting. Almost all of those shootings were justified but the few that were not were a result of resistance or attempts to flee. So several things must happen. Hold cops accountable. Train and screen better. And make sure people know that they don't get shot for no reason. They improve their chances by not resisting or running. I don't know why that gets so much argument. A good analogy is a two-way stop sign. If you keep having enough serious accidents/fatalities, you change it to a four-way stop. Where you have amlost zero accidents and no fatalities. It doesn't matter who caused the wrecks you fixed it.

Was there widespread looting occurring in N Charleston? After a hurricane or tsunami ?

No ?

Then any attempt to tie in 1 event to post Katrina riots is beyond asinine.

Here's your sign, Jeff.

Archived