Ten Louisville takeaways

Dual-Threat Rigby

1. Gus Malzahn hasn't changed... If you been an auburn fan for the past two years, you know exactly what I mean. Questionable decisions, good decisions, deciding to leave QBs in a bit too long etc.

2. We got beat up.... We escaped the injury bug basically in training camp but we definitely didn't escape it today. Two players who had their departures immediately noticed were Tray and Carl. We need them back by LSU

3. OL wasn't good... They weren't bad by any means, but they can be a LOT better

4. Barber was LEGIT... I wish we could've seen more of him last year but he proved that he can be a #1 back today.

5. Jason Smith is good.... Dude was great today along with Duke. Hope to see more of these two very often

6. Muschamp did a good job everything considering... Back when he had Lawson and Matthews playing 100% this defense was lights out. When Lawson left it was an immediate drop and it was 2014 esque by the time Matthews dropped. I believe in Muschamp nevertheless

7. This was a bad game... We didn't look anything like a top 10 or top 25 team. Thankfully several other top 10 teams didn't either.

8. Jeremy is still the future??? I think so but man a fundamental problem such as reading coverage is something that's very hard to accept for a QB that should be as accurate as Jeremy. I think he deserves another chance

9-10. When healthy..this is a top 10 team disregarding the QB position. Whenever Jeremy learns to throw and makes it easier for the OL, we can make some major moves.

WEagle

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Gus Malzahn hasn't changed... If you been an auburn fan for the past two years, you know exactly what I mean. Questionable decisions, good decisions, deciding to leave QBs in a bit too long etc.

2. We got beat up.... We escaped the injury bug basically in training camp but we definitely didn't escape it today. Two players who had their departures immediately noticed were Tray and Carl. We need them back by LSU

3. OL wasn't good... They weren't bad by any means, but they can be a LOT better

4. Barber was LEGIT... I wish we could've seen more of him last year but he proved that he can be a #1 back today.

5. Jason Smith is good.... Dude was great today along with Duke. Hope to see more of these two very often

6. Muschamp did a good job everything considering... Back when he had Lawson and Matthews playing 100% this defense was lights out. When Lawson left it was an immediate drop and it was 2014 esque by the time Matthews dropped. I believe in Muschamp nevertheless

7. This was a bad game... We didn't look anything like a top 10 or top 25 team. Thankfully several other top 10 teams didn't either.

8. Jeremy is still the future??? I think so but man a fundamental problem such as reading coverage is something that's very hard to accept for a QB that should be as accurate as Jeremy. I think he deserves another chance

9-10. When healthy..this is a top 10 team disregarding the QB position. Whenever Jeremy learns to throw and makes it easier for the OL, we can make some major moves.

WEagle

After two deep breaths, I think you are too hard on the D. I have watched Petrino for years. I have never seen that 2nd half offense by a Petrino coached team. Ever. Until today. Neither has Will. And I have seen very few players like #8, or at least like he ran and threw today. He was amazing. Now teams know him, and it probably won't be as effective, but today....I'm glad it's over, and hope our guys aren't hurt. We barely beat MSU and Clemson in 2010.

You THINK he deserves another shot? What the f are you even talking about. He made two bad throws outside the pocket making a bad decision to force a throw. Give me a freaking break.

You THINK he deserves another shot? What the f are you even talking about. He made two bad throws outside the pocket making a bad decision to force a throw. Give me a freaking break.

Soooo....what you're saying is that AU should bench the staring QB because he didn't have a great outing in the first game? How about you give me a freakin' break! Your post was mindless fandom idiocy.

Gus' play calling was a little skeptical in this game, he put way too much pressure on JJ IMO and JJ felt like he had to make the big play. It'll work itself out.

Soooo....what you're saying is that AU should bench the staring QB because he didn't have a great outing in the first game? How about you give me a freakin' break! Your post was mindless fandom idiocy.

I think you're both making the same point - that he doesn't deserve to be benched. Probably should make sure before name calling.

Need to limit the turn overs and all of those were on JJ. You don't throw into triple coverage nor directly to an opposing team member. All of those errors were on him and not the play calling. The plays that were called just weren't executed properly. Let's hope for marked improvement or there will be calls for White

I laugh at how some of you ALWAYS fall for these threads of his and get riled up

Seriously, smh

I think it was important not to bench JJ since we still had the lead to play with. We almost lost the game but you want to show u believe in him to overcome this. He needs a game in Jordan hare to get things right before LSU

I think it was important not to bench JJ since we still had the lead to play with. We almost lost the game but you want to show u believe in him to overcome this. He needs a game in Jordan hare to get things right before LSU

No offense but important not to bench JJ. That never ever occurred to me. wow

He made only 2 bad throws? Lmao, you're being severely biased there. He could've finished with 6 picks.

I laugh at how some of you ALWAYS fall for these threads of his and get riled up

Ikr?? Or how some of the same people come in my thread and post the same unnecessary things, potentially stemming from some superiority complex...

Relax. First game. Barely beat Wash State in 2013 in first game; lots of bugs to work out. We beat good D1 team at a neutral site! Gotta believe Johnson will bounce back. First game guys; chill, enjoy the win, and watch Wiscy beat the turds

I don't agree with everything in the OP, but some valid points.

JJ must improve.

Tray, Carl and Roc need to get healthy.

I think Louisville has a shot to win ACC.

Number no. 8 is illusive and will give defenses fits.

I think you're both making the same point - that he doesn't deserve to be benched. Probably should make sure before name calling.

Discussion board bravado. I doubt those that lose their mind over another poster stating there opinion would be so brave having a conversation in the same room with their Auburn brethren.

Relax. First game. Barely beat Wash State in 2013 in first game; lots of bugs to work out. We beat good D1 team at a neutral site! Gotta believe Johnson will bounce back. First game guys; chill, enjoy the win, and watch Wiscy beat the turds

I have more positives than negatives in the games where we had more positives than negatives. This wasn't that game. I don't believe I've done these since 2013, and if you dig up one of those, they'll likely be positive. In the grand scheme of things, this is a solid win, yes.

I just don't understand the Jeremy thing today. Some of those throws were just plain awful. He's lucky that last one wasn't intercepted too. He made 4 throws right into coverage, in some cases double and triple coverage. We have never seen that from him.

Because we have barely seen him. He'll learn and get better. Gus usually takes a few games to truly know his QB. If we escape that window without any losses we could be serious CFP contenders.

No one asked, but here's my take:

1) All in all, JJ looked pretty poor. He was lucky to escape with just 3 int's. Not sure what's going on with him, but man.....

2) Barber looked good. Steady. Picked up a blitz in the 2nd quarter that allowed a first down completion.

3) Defense was much improved compared to last season and then...

4) Louisville's freshman QB is a stud. He's gonna run circles around a lot of people this season

5) Our D was gassed in the 4th qtr. Took a lot out of our kids chasing around the QB I created for my playstation football game :dunno:

6) O-line has some wood to chop. There is potential to be good, but also remember that Louisville's front 7 was there strength going into this game.

7) D-line looked much improved. Even when Lawson was out of the game there was push, we just couldn't contain their QB.

8) Our H-backs are much improved over last season

9) Special Teams looked pretty good overall. Even with Louis getting his rear end planted on the KO return. Ford had a nice return. No fumbled punts.

10) It's week one. I was very nervous heading into this game. Louisville obviously had two different game plans. We didn't look prepared for their zone read. Again, their QB is legit. Petrino has been around this game for a long time and was talking this kid up off of HS film. My bet is he has lit up their defense all of Fall camp. If JJ gets it together we'll be alright. Pretty obvious he was pressing. If he continues to struggle, get ready for Sean White. Hopefully the former will prevail. We're 1-0. WDE!

Archived