Ten Louisville takeaways

Dual-Threat Rigby

It was a pretty typical 1st game. Don't read too much into it. D looked much improved. JJ will be fine. Orange shoes = NEVER want to see them again...ever.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey I liked the shoes. Gave a whole new, 2015 feel to the jersey IMO. Chrome decals/facemasks looked good too. Bright and shiny is in now.

It was a pretty typical 1st game. Don't read too much into it. D looked much improved. JJ will be fine. Orange shoes = NEVER want to see them again...ever.

Agree about the Orange shoes. They need to leave those in the locker room.

I just don't understand the Jeremy thing today. Some of those throws were just plain awful. He's lucky that last one wasn't intercepted too. He made 4 throws right into coverage, in some cases double and triple coverage. We have never seen that from him.

1st game jitters. It looked to me like he was forcing the throws on the ints & near int -- which indicates he abandoned his reads & just was trying to make something (big) happen. I think he'll settle down. Can't ignore the TD pass called back due to holding. That was a thing of beauty.

1st game - as fans we should not get too high or too low....don't be over critical or overly enthusiastic or use this game as the litmus test as how the season will go, none of us know for sure......it was game one, personally I expected mistakes, missed assignments, penalties, etc. remember college ball has no preseason to iron out kinks. They got the W now there is a base to continue to build the season on....

After Lawson was out, we seems to revert back o true form. It didn't look any different from last year in the second half for our D.

After Lawson was out, we seems to revert back o true form. It didn't look any different from last year in the second half for our D.

Their offense looked entirely different to me. Think about it. Petrino had always run a pro set, drop back offense. Then comes in with a QB who can outrun all our d-line, who still got great push against their line. If I am wrong, we will see in a couple of weeks. But I believe our D stopped what we were prepared to stop.

1st game - as fans we should not get too high or too low....don't be over critical or overly enthusiastic or use this game as the litmus test as how the season will go, none of us know for sure......it was game one, personally I expected mistakes, missed assignments, penalties, etc. remember college ball has no preseason to iron out kinks. They got the W now there is a base to continue to build the season on....

Nice post....... for a poet

Nice post....... for a poet

Beer makes that post...........brilliant!

The OL wasn't "good" but the Big 12 defensive player of the year DE couldn't even muster up one sack? And did our OL give up a sack at all? I'll wait...

Hey, we are 1-0, beating a very good Louisville team, and have a home game up next that should be a glorified scrimmage. Let's just enjoy still being undefeated and look forward to the next game. War Eagle. Good crowd in the Dome today. Made friends with some Cards fans today too. Lots of things to be happy about. Let's just let the dysfunctional side of our family chill a bit and remember that we are still family. Can't believe we are so disgruntled after a season opener against possibly the best team in the ACC with a very good HC that just happens to also be a giant DB.

I laugh at how some of you ALWAYS fall for these threads of his and get riled up

I'd be disappointed if he didn't. He's our resident Eeyore.

I wouldn't. The only post game thread that matters is Stat-Tigers report card thread.

1- Louisville will win the ACC. That defense was the real deal, and with that quarterback they'll score. A lot.

2- Typical first game Malzahn offense. Remember 2010, 2011, 2013 we struggled against real opponents first few weeks. Wait till the LSU game before judgements are made. Next week(s) we'll work out the details.

3- Our defensive front has 10 sacks against any other quarterback- See #1- our defense will be fine unless we see another incredible dual threat QB.

4- Matthews and Ford are the best safety tandem we've had since 2004.

5- JJ should have had 2 touchdowns that weren't- the first was one to Louis who was overthrown by 2 steps, he beat the coverage and looked to pull up a bit early from my vantage point at the game. Of course then the holding call + Jason Smith TD.

I'm happy to get this win. That is a really good Louisville team. You'll see.

WDE

Gus always gets better at play calling as the season progresses. He pisses me off for the first couple of games every year. Was pleasantly surprised that we developed a go to back game one, even if it was due to injury. Coleman still snakebit at worst possible time but played well otherwise. Don't blame Jeremy for all his turnovers, he was deadly on short and medium, his coaches sucked at times calling plays. Let the guy settle in for a game or 2 then turn him loose. The D looked worlds better as far a discipline and technicals. By mid season gonna be the real deal. A WIN IS A WIN IS A WIN

Gus always gets better at play calling as the season progresses. He pisses me off for the first couple of games every year. Was pleasantly surprised that we developed a go to back game one, even if it was due to injury. Coleman still snakebit at worst possible time but played well otherwise. Don't blame Jeremy for all his turnovers, he was deadly on short and medium, his coaches sucked at times calling plays. Let the guy settle in for a game or 2 then turn him loose. The D looked worlds better as far a discipline and technicals. By mid season gonna be the real deal. A WIN IS A WIN IS A WIN

His playcalling vs Wisconsin last year cost them a bowl game.

We didn't really have the "cute plays" other than the Ricardo play that seemed to kill our confidence. I do wish he would've tried to go more smash mouth and implemented some read game to get a feel and take some pressure off JJ's arm

1. Gus Malzahn hasn't changed... If you been an auburn fan for the past two years, you know exactly what I mean. Questionable decisions, good decisions, deciding to leave QBs in a bit too long etc.

2. We got beat up.... We escaped the injury bug basically in training camp but we definitely didn't escape it today. Two players who had their departures immediately noticed were Tray and Carl. We need them back by LSU

3. OL wasn't good... They weren't bad by any means, but they can be a LOT better

4. Barber was LEGIT... I wish we could've seen more of him last year but he proved that he can be a #1 back today.

5. Jason Smith is good.... Dude was great today along with Duke. Hope to see more of these two very often

6. Muschamp did a good job everything considering... Back when he had Lawson and Matthews playing 100% this defense was lights out. When Lawson left it was an immediate drop and it was 2014 esque by the time Matthews dropped. I believe in Muschamp nevertheless

7. This was a bad game... We didn't look anything like a top 10 or top 25 team. Thankfully several other top 10 teams didn't either.

8. Jeremy is still the future??? I think so but man a fundamental problem such as reading coverage is something that's very hard to accept for a QB that should be as accurate as Jeremy. I think he deserves another chance

9-10. When healthy..this is a top 10 team disregarding the QB position. Whenever Jeremy learns to throw and makes it easier for the OL, we can make some major moves.

WEagle

Thanks, man. It's always nice to know what the view from the short bus is like.

1- Louisville will win the ACC. That defense was the real deal, and with that quarterback they'll score. A lot.

2- Typical first game Malzahn offense. Remember 2010, 2011, 2013 we struggled against real opponents first few weeks. Wait till the LSU game before judgements are made. Next week(s) we'll work out the details.

3- Our defensive front has 10 sacks against any other quarterback- See #1- our defense will be fine unless we see another incredible dual threat QB.

4- Matthews and Ford are the best safety tandem we've had since 2004.

5- JJ should have had 2 touchdowns that weren't- the first was one to Louis who was overthrown by 2 steps, he beat the coverage and looked to pull up a bit early from my vantage point at the game. Of course then the holding call + Jason Smith TD.

I'm happy to get this win. That is a really good Louisville team. You'll see.

WDE

I don't know about winning the acc part. I agree with most everything else though

Archived