Ten Louisville takeaways

Dual-Threat Rigby

If no holding call (which there should have been) on Jason smith TD, we win by 2 or 3 scores in much easier fashion. We will have breaks go against us, bad calls, and bad no calls against us all year. Bottom line: we are 1-0 with a win in the first week over a good power 5 football team. Tune up next week. We'll get it done.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think your observation of JJ is wrong. Not just a little wrong, but completely wrong. The Kid was under some mental pressure that he or fans and media created. This causing him to force throws, miss read defenses, not see the field past the primary reciVer on a play, and make bad decisions.

Furthermore all of that against a very quality opponent and a qb who could outrun our whole defense barring the safeties.

Now that all that's over and JJ has had a bad game he will calm down and recover his poise he usually carries and come back storming the grounds. A tune up next week then a great performance against LSU. Anyone who even thought about pulling JJ, especially for a true freshman with 3 weeks of practice with the 2nd and 3rd string is out of their mund. Its game 1 against a good big 5 opponent that has what it takes to run through the ACC, not a scrub team like Jacksonville st. Or NM St. This was real competition. Now if he plays like this next week we know we have a Walt Disney when he starts and we gotta crash course a new qb.

You guys need to relax. Damn!

We have no clue how to seal the edge at DE.

JJ has a laser arm unfortunately he has laser focus and can't see much of the field.

To say we are 2 deep at many positions is a joke.

AU will drop in the poles

It just trips me out how people can't see the positives out of this. Jeremy struggled and even though he did still had confidence to make any throw. Dinson and Irvin made some mistakes they will already learn lessons from. Oline was able to go against two maybe three NFL picks and learn. Clearly defense is better. We were able to get reps in against a qb that's faster than any qb we'll see this year. We didn't play 50% to our realistic potential and we beat a team that prepped for us a year coached by one of the best offensive coaches in the game right now.

Only thing I'd say looked very bad was us setting the edge, and we're idiots if that qb wasn't a take.

Some you people are unbelievable. All I'm hearing is negativity about Gus, Johnson, the o-line, even the defense.

IT WAS THE FIRST GAME! Remember last year when Ohio St. struggled at the beginning of the year and JT Barrett sucked..........Remember two years ago when we went down to LSU early in the year and stunk it up and then almost won a national championship.

We played a quality opponent and got the W.

1. Jeremy struggled, but it just looked like he was trying to be great every play and was forcing throws. That's easily correctable. Give Gus and Johnson a little time to find their rhythm with this offense. Jeremy still showed some serious arm talent and ability. He will settle down.

2. The defense looked incredible to me. From where we were last year to the first game this year....I was more than pleased.We looked physical, and we were in positions to makes plays.

The only concern I have is the injuries. We need Lawson and Matthews desperately. Lawson looked like a man possessed out there. But if we can avoid the injury bug I still think this team definitely has playoff potential.

JJ needs to run with the ball during the read option a few times. Not enough to get him hurt, but enough to keep the defense honest. The passing lanes will open up for him and his reads will get easier. Louisville was totally blindsided by it down on the goal line (1st drive), and we never ran it again. Kid has a cannon though. And he will make better decisions. No need to panic.

Last year:

9. JJ should start the rest of the year. This team is playing for nothing for the rest of the season and has clearly given up. JJ is a spark and that's what they need. A spark..

Now this year:

8. Jeremy is still the future??? I think so but man a fundamental problem such as reading coverage is something that's very hard to accept for a QB that should be as accurate as Jeremy. I think he deserves another chance

Anyone else see a pattern?

Posted Yesterday, 06:20 PM

i prefer to stand behind my team than bash them. what are some of you gonna do? throw a brick through coaches office window? shame a kid who has done every single thing asked of him and done it with class is getting so beat up. i believe it will get straightened out pretty quick.

JJ was pressing, #8 was an anomaly, Lawson went out, Tray went out, and had some untimely penalties.

Gus's playcalling was fine, we just didn't execute.

You guys need to step back from the cliff.

I think it was important not to bench JJ since we still had the lead to play with. We almost lost the game but you want to show u believe in him to overcome this. He

I would be willing to bet the idea of pulling Jeremy Johnson never crossed Gus Malzahn's mind. We never trailed, Louisville was never in position to even tie the game. How did we almost lose?

We are painfully thin at a lot of positions. The upside is that a lot of first game freshmen saw meaningful game action.

We were a fumble return away from playing OT. I'd say that qualifies as in position to tie.

So, for four plays over the final 2:59 and -8 yards offense we were in serious danger. Gotcha'.

I'll take that every time. Some here obviously would not.

1. You guys crack me up. I don't really feel like comparing this years team to previous squads is a valid comparison, but if were going to, they are ahead of the last two years in most areas.

2. O-line. Last years at the beginning showed holes. This one showed a lack of discipline a few times, but overall played well. Just need to clean up the holding. Peyton doesn't show out tonight without good blocking.

3. D as a whole. How many late hits did we have? How many personal fouls? Missed tackles? Blown assignments? Boom has done a good job so far.

4. JJ. He'll be fine. His previous starts were against a cupcake and the other when he knew he was parked after the first half. He'll settle down.

5. Hate seeing Gus still get cute in the red zone. After the running game picked up and they marched within the 11 yard line, he gets cute, gets pushed back and settles for three. I think I'm remembering that right anyway.

This team has a lot of potential but has to stay healthy. We have some MAJOR playmakers out there but we are lacking depth

Last year:

9. JJ should start the rest of the year. This team is playing for nothing for the rest of the season and has clearly given up. JJ is a spark and that's what they need. A spark..

Now this year:

8. Jeremy is still the future??? I think so but man a fundamental problem such as reading coverage is something that's very hard to accept for a QB that should be as accurate as Jeremy. I think he deserves another chance

Lol good find. DTR is pretty funny sometimes.

Last year:

Now this year:

You got a quote from the 2014 Georgia game I'm assuming. The same game that was the worst of Gus's career. You might want some context next time.

The reasoning for keeping Nick as a starter before that game was because he gave us the best chance to believe. Obviously after this season was over and some other people had time to think, there was a thought process that Jeremy gave us the best chance to win with a relatively inefficient running game and two NFL receivers and one NFL TE.

In that quote I'm clearly asking for a backup to come in. In this thread, I'm clearly not asking for a backup to go in next week. Again, not the same situation.

1. Gus Malzahn hasn't changed... If you been an auburn fan for the past two years, you know exactly what I mean. Questionable decisions, good decisions, deciding to leave QBs in a bit too long etc.

2. We got beat up.... We escaped the injury bug basically in training camp but we definitely didn't escape it today. Two players who had their departures immediately noticed were Tray and Carl. We need them back by LSU

3. OL wasn't good... They weren't bad by any means, but they can be a LOT better

4. Barber was LEGIT... I wish we could've seen more of him last year but he proved that he can be a #1 back today.

5. Jason Smith is good.... Dude was great today along with Duke. Hope to see more of these two very often

6. Muschamp did a good job everything considering... Back when he had Lawson and Matthews playing 100% this defense was lights out. When Lawson left it was an immediate drop and it was 2014 esque by the time Matthews dropped. I believe in Muschamp nevertheless

7. This was a bad game... We didn't look anything like a top 10 or top 25 team. Thankfully several other top 10 teams didn't either.

9-10. When healthy..this is a top 10 team disregarding the QB position. Whenever Jeremy learns to throw and makes it easier for the OL, we can make some major moves.

WEagle

Thanks, man. It's always nice to know what the view from the short bus is like.

I guess you expected a group of other posters to give you some praise for that super clever statement?? Good job at making the least necessary counterpost in this thread, you had some stiff competition.

I thought it was funny as hell. And warranted.

1. Gus Malzahn hasn't changed... If you been an auburn fan for the past two years, you know exactly what I mean. Questionable decisions, good decisions, deciding to leave QBs in a bit too long etc.

2. We got beat up.... We escaped the injury bug basically in training camp but we definitely didn't escape it today. Two players who had their departures immediately noticed were Tray and Carl. We need them back by LSU

3. OL wasn't good... They weren't bad by any means, but they can be a LOT better

4. Barber was LEGIT... I wish we could've seen more of him last year but he proved that he can be a #1 back today.

5. Jason Smith is good.... Dude was great today along with Duke. Hope to see more of these two very often

6. Muschamp did a good job everything considering... Back when he had Lawson and Matthews playing 100% this defense was lights out. When Lawson left it was an immediate drop and it was 2014 esque by the time Matthews dropped. I believe in Muschamp nevertheless

7. This was a bad game... We didn't look anything like a top 10 or top 25 team. Thankfully several other top 10 teams didn't either.

9-10. When healthy..this is a top 10 team disregarding the QB position. Whenever Jeremy learns to throw and makes it easier for the OL, we can make some major moves.

WEagle

I guess you expected a group of other posters to give you some praise for that super clever statement?? Good job at making the least necessary counterpost in this thread, you had some stiff competition.

You have horrible humor then.

WEagle

You have horrible humor then.

I'm crushed you would say such a thing

I dont know. I am jut getting a chance to watch the game and i think this team has incredible potential. Not too concerned wih the turnovers, nor the attempted comeback. We definitely struggled a bit with a combination of their qb change and a few key defenders going down. Overall, very excited for next week and especially week 3. War eagle

What we have are people who see the worst in every mistake and if it isn't perfect then it's falling apart. The reality is we don't yet know what anything means and won't for a while yet. Even after LSU, regardless of how it goes, we still won't know.

Last year:

Now this year:

You got a quote from the 2014 Georgia game I'm assuming. The same game that was the worst of Gus's career. You might want some context next time.

The reasoning for keeping Nick as a starter before that game was because he gave us the best chance to believe. Obviously after this season was over and some other people had time to think, there was a thought process that Jeremy gave us the best chance to win with a relatively inefficient running game and two NFL receivers and one NFL TE.

In that quote I'm clearly asking for a backup to come in. In this thread, I'm clearly not asking for a backup to go in next week. Again, not the same situation.

when you make comments such as these, we have to wonder if you've ever seen a game. Inefficient running game? 3,321 yards and a 5.5 average per carry and 255.5 yards per game is inefficient? Really? Have you ever thought of actually doing any research before you post? It might prevent you from making such ridiculous statements so often.

WEagle

So did I. :lol:

So many of you are overreacting. So what if Gary knew the plays. This is football; part of the game is this: we know what we're gonna do, you know what we're gonna do; we're gonna do it anyways and make the play. Gus is a head coach for a reason and a damn good one and not a bad play caller at all. Does he make the occasional bad call? Yes. All coaches do. But the players have to execute. We've all seen Jeremy so better. We know he can handle it. It's his first game where HE IS THE GUY. Lotta hype, lotta pressure. That's tough for anyone to handle. Heck even Pete Fiutak - a complete Banner apologist - said on a national radio show that he knows JJ isn't that bad and that Auburn will get better. Louisville is a good team and we all know Petrino is a damn good game day coach. Bottom line: it wasn't pretty but a W is a W; there were some good plays and good drives by the O, plenty of things to build on. Too the defense looked much better right off the bat. This team will only get better.

Last year:

Now this year:

when you make comments such as these, we have to wonder if you've ever seen a game. Inefficient running game? 3,321 yards and a 5.5 average per carry and 255.5 yards per game is inefficient? Really? Have you ever thought of actually doing any research before you post? It might prevent you from making such ridiculous statements so often.

When you make comments such as these, I wonder if you read through the whole comment, or do you just skim through it. The word "relatively" was added just so perhaps people would take their response in stride instead of just flying off the handle. Yes we ran the ball well overall, but if you look at how we ran from a game to game perspective against some of the tougher defenses, it's somewhat inconsistent. Arkansas - good, Kansas State - not good, LSU - good, MSU - good on paper (pretty much one drive of Roc and a 10 yard dash by Louis makes the YPC look alot better, but CAP and Grant were not at the same level as some of the other performances on this list). South Carolina & Ole Miss - Great, TAMU - Good, Georgia - Not good Samford - Really not good, Alabama - Really not good, Wisconsin - Good

From what it seems to me, our better work was in the earlier games and for some reason we just completely collapsed running the ball. From that Georgia game to the first half of the Wisconsin game, we really were not able to depend on running the ball at all. Was inefficient a bad word? Yes. But I feel inconsistent fits what I'm trying to say, and if you pull up that LSU game for example, our running game put up numbers and they got their big runs, but you'd have these drives where just after a first down, we'd run up the middle or do some running play that'd get sniffed out for very short yards. This happened several times throughout the season (other posters have acknowledged it, not just me), so we had a Gulf of good, but then we had an oil spill of bad floating in there.

Archived