Ten Louisville takeaways

Dual-Threat Rigby

Last year:

9. JJ should start the rest of the year. This team is playing for nothing for the rest of the season and has clearly given up. JJ is a spark and that's what they need. A spark..

Now this year:

8. Jeremy is still the future??? I think so but man a fundamental problem such as reading coverage is something that's very hard to accept for a QB that should be as accurate as Jeremy. I think he deserves another chance

Anyone else see a pattern?

Posted Yesterday, 06:20 PM

You got a quote from the 2014 Georgia game I'm assuming. The same game that was the worst of Gus's career. You might want some context next time.

The reasoning for keeping Nick as a starter before that game was because he gave us the best chance to believe. Obviously after this season was over and some other people had time to think, there was a thought process that Jeremy gave us the best chance to win with a relatively inefficient running game and two NFL receivers and one NFL TE.

In that quote I'm clearly asking for a backup to come in. In this thread, I'm clearly not asking for a backup to go in next week. Again, not the same situation.

when you make comments such as these, we have to wonder if you've ever seen a game. Inefficient running game? 3,321 yards and a 5.5 average per carry and 255.5 yards per game is inefficient? Really? Have you ever thought of actually doing any research before you post? It might prevent you from making such ridiculous statements so often.

When you make comments such as these, I wonder if you read through the whole comment, or do you just skim through it. The word "relatively" was added just so perhaps people would take their response in stride instead of just flying off the handle. Yes we ran the ball well overall, but if you look at how we ran from a game to game perspective against some of the tougher defenses, it's somewhat inconsistent. Arkansas - good, Kansas State - not good, LSU - good, MSU - good on paper (pretty much one drive of Roc and a 10 yard dash by Louis makes the YPC look alot better, but CAP and Grant were not at the same level as some of the other performances on this list). South Carolina & Ole Miss - Great, TAMU - Good, Georgia - Not good Samford - Really not good, Alabama - Really not good, Wisconsin - Good

seems to me you have an extremely odd view of what is good vs not good vs great. For instances, Samford you said, really not good, yet it was 200 yards. You called Texas A&M good (363 yards) and South Carolina and Ole miss great (ole miss was 253 yards). You called Arkansas "good" yet it was 302 yards. See where I'm going here? Your not good to good to great comparison just doesn't support your claim of an inconsistent running attack. I agree that georgia was not good but that was a total team collapse and not specifically related to the rushing attack. The uat game you say really not good, yet fail to mention that it was our highest TOTAL YARDS all season. We still rushed for 172 yards and threw it for 456. It's an adjustment to what we were being given from the uat defense. We knew their secondary was very weak and we exploited it to perfection. That's not an indictment of the running game and doesn't support your claim either. We moved the ball at will vs. uat and shredded their defense.

From what it seems to me, our better work was in the earlier games and for some reason we just completely collapsed running the ball. From that Georgia game to the first half of the Wisconsin game, we really were not able to depend on running the ball at all.

Collapsed? We had 591 yard rushing our last three games. 197 average. That just doesn't equate to a collapse, sorry.

Was inefficient a bad word? Yes. But I feel inconsistent fits what I'm trying to say, and if you pull up that LSU game for example, our running game put up numbers and they got their big runs, but you'd have these drives where just after a first down, we'd run up the middle or do some running play that'd get sniffed out for very short yards.

This happens with every team in the country. Remember the year that overrated Ingram won the heisman for uat? He had a paltry 30 yards vs. Auburn. and uat had a total of 73 yards rushing. Not every rush attempt is going to gain 5-10 yards or even positive yardage for that matter.

This happened several times throughout the season (other posters have acknowledged it, not just me), so we had a Gulf of good, but then we had an oil spill of bad floating in there.

I vehemently disagree. The georgia game was clearly the worst offensive performance of the season, but again, that's not an indictment of the running game. That game was a total team collapse in all phases. What you perceive as bad really wasn't as bad as you are making it out to be.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because bunches of teams average 200 yards rushing and 250-300 throwing? I'd take it any day, mind you. Seems a bit much to ask, though.

200 passing, rushing gives you 400. 400 is basically the baseline of a good performance from this Auburn offense. That doesn't factor in who our opponent is (i.e 2013 Alabam, I believe we had 390 yards). But in most cases, if the yards do not get up to 400, it either means we got a lot of short fields and hopefully got points out of that or we had bursts of efficient offense and bursts of straight ice. We haven't had many short fields in the past though.

It was a pretty typical 1st game. Don't read too much into it. D looked much improved. JJ will be fine. Orange shoes = NEVER want to see them again...ever.

^^^^^^^^^!!!! Ditto on the orange shoes. They were extremely gaudy and showed no class what so ever and I hope they get ditched, I also never want to see them again either.

1. Gus Malzahn hasn't changed... If you been an auburn fan for the past two years, you know exactly what I mean. Questionable decisions, good decisions, deciding to leave QBs in a bit too long etc.

2. We got beat up.... We escaped the injury bug basically in training camp but we definitely didn't escape it today. Two players who had their departures immediately noticed were Tray and Carl. We need them back by LSU

3. OL wasn't good... They weren't bad by any means, but they can be a LOT better

4. Barber was LEGIT... I wish we could've seen more of him last year but he proved that he can be a #1 back today.

5. Jason Smith is good.... Dude was great today along with Duke. Hope to see more of these two very often

6. Muschamp did a good job everything considering... Back when he had Lawson and Matthews playing 100% this defense was lights out. When Lawson left it was an immediate drop and it was 2014 esque by the time Matthews dropped. I believe in Muschamp nevertheless

7. This was a bad game... We didn't look anything like a top 10 or top 25 team. Thankfully several other top 10 teams didn't either.

8. Jeremy is still the future??? I think so but man a fundamental problem such as reading coverage is something that's very hard to accept for a QB that should be as accurate as Jeremy. I think he deserves another chance

9-10. When healthy..this is a top 10 team disregarding the QB position. Whenever Jeremy learns to throw and makes it easier for the OL, we can make some major moves.

WEagle

Your #1 is spot on. Same crap calling in key situations. Without two defensive turnovers we start off 0-1.

Had every chance to put them away and let d pin their ears back. looks just like Wisky game last year.

There were options for JJ on those interceptions, but he choose to throw into triple coverage three times and right to a defender once. And that is Gus's fault? LOL. Might want to view the tape.

Because bunches of teams average 200 yards rushing and 250-300 throwing? I'd take it any day, mind you. Seems a bit much to ask, though.

200 passing, rushing gives you 400. 400 is basically the baseline of a good performance from this Auburn offense. That doesn't factor in who our opponent is (i.e 2013 Alabam, I believe we had 390 yards). But in most cases, if the yards do not get up to 400, it either means we got a lot of short fields and hopefully got points out of that or we had bursts of efficient offense and bursts of straight ice. We haven't had many short fields in the past though.

We should have 400 easily. JJ had some brain farts. That's it.

Well I know I was a huge sunshine pumper before the season started and I will remain positive about the season but I have to say... JJ's play was very disappointing by everyone's standard including his own. If there is one thing you cannot do it is turn the ball over and JJ had 3 picks (could have easily been 5). The problem is that these interceptions were not caused by a great defensive play where the ball was thrown on the money. They were thrown into double and triple coverage right at the defender and were not really close to the targets at times. If he does this in 2 weeks we will lose by 3 Tds.

And no matter how we slice it, 327 yards for a gus bus offense is about as bad as it gets. I thought the play calling was dreadful at times. Where are the dump downs, screens, easy plays for JJ? 2 of the 3 INTs were 3rd and 10+ yards and he was trying to force a play.

This team will go as far as JJ takes it. The good news is that we have all seen him play good before in games, like the ARK game last year. He has the tools. Just just needs to improve.

Side note: I thought the starting D was great.

One of the problems with getting old. The dollar isn't worth what it once was, and defense is not what it once was. You are correct. 450-500 yards total offense is not overwhelming, I checked the stats . Still seems stupidly large to me.. My apologies.

I think it was important not to bench JJ since we still had the lead to play with. We almost lost the game but you want to show u believe in him to overcome this. He

I would be willing to bet the idea of pulling Jeremy Johnson never crossed Gus Malzahn's mind. We never trailed, Louisville was never in position to even tie the game. How did we almost lose?

We are painfully thin at a lot of positions. The upside is that a lot of first game freshmen saw meaningful game action.

We were a fumble return away from playing OT. I'd say that qualifies as in position to tie.

So, for four plays over the final 2:59 and -8 yards offense we were in serious danger. Gotcha'.

I'll take that every time. Some here obviously would not.

This is the type of argument that can't be won or lost. If the shoe were on the other foot and Auburn was the team that came up just short, I triple dog guarantee you that this forum would littered with posts on how lucky Louisville was to survive and how the Tigers came up just short. Louisville missed two first half FG's and botched a routine hand off that resulted in a touchdown. Auburn had no answer for QB Jackson in the second half. Louisville just ran out of time. I'd say Auburn was pretty lucky to get the win, all things considered.

I think it was important not to bench JJ since we still had the lead to play with. We almost lost the game but you want to show u believe in him to overcome this. He

I would be willing to bet the idea of pulling Jeremy Johnson never crossed Gus Malzahn's mind. We never trailed, Louisville was never in position to even tie the game. How did we almost lose?

We are painfully thin at a lot of positions. The upside is that a lot of first game freshmen saw meaningful game action.

We were a fumble return away from playing OT. I'd say that qualifies as in position to tie.

So, for four plays over the final 2:59 and -8 yards offense we were in serious danger. Gotcha'.

I'll take that every time. Some here obviously would not.

This is the type of argument that can't be won or lost. If the shoe were on the other foot and Auburn was the team that came up just short, I triple dog guarantee you that this forum would littered with posts on how lucky Louisville was to survive and how the Tigers came up just short. Louisville missed two first half FG's and botched a routine hand off that resulted in a touchdown. Auburn had no answer for QB Jackson in the second half. Louisville just ran out of time. I'd say Auburn was pretty lucky to get the win, all things considered.

But a Louisville fan would counter that without their 3 turn overs and stupid touchdown erasing penalties, it's a rout. Does that make sense to you? Glass is half full or half empty. Depends on your objectivity. Or lack of.

1. Gus Malzahn hasn't changed... If you been an auburn fan for the past two years, you know exactly what I mean. Questionable decisions, good decisions, deciding to leave QBs in a bit too long etc.

2. We got beat up.... We escaped the injury bug basically in training camp but we definitely didn't escape it today. Two players who had their departures immediately noticed were Tray and Carl. We need them back by LSU

3. OL wasn't good... They weren't bad by any means, but they can be a LOT better

4. Barber was LEGIT... I wish we could've seen more of him last year but he proved that he can be a #1 back today.

5. Jason Smith is good.... Dude was great today along with Duke. Hope to see more of these two very often

6. Muschamp did a good job everything considering... Back when he had Lawson and Matthews playing 100% this defense was lights out. When Lawson left it was an immediate drop and it was 2014 esque by the time Matthews dropped. I believe in Muschamp nevertheless

7. This was a bad game... We didn't look anything like a top 10 or top 25 team. Thankfully several other top 10 teams didn't either.

9-10. When healthy..this is a top 10 team disregarding the QB position. Whenever Jeremy learns to throw and makes it easier for the OL, we can make some major moves.

WEagle

Your #1 is spot on. Same crap calling in key situations. Without two defensive turnovers we start off 0-1.

Had every chance to put them away and let d pin their ears back. looks just like Wisky game last year.

There were options for JJ on those interceptions, but he choose to throw into triple coverage three times and right to a defender once. And that is Gus's fault? LOL. Might want to view the tape.

One of those interceptions nobody was open but that's the lesson he needs to learn, just throw the ball away out of bounds

1. Those shoes and socks were legit.

2. Concerned with JJ but trust it was a first game as his team thing.

3. Countess and Mathews are huge additions.

4. The d line looked good almost all night.

5. Linebackers are still bothering me but played better than last 2-3 seasons.

It was a pretty typical 1st game. Don't read too much into it. D looked much improved. JJ will be fine. Orange shoes = NEVER want to see them again...ever.

^^^^^^^^^!!!! Ditto on the orange shoes. They were extremely gaudy and showed no class what so ever and I hope they get ditched, I also never want to see them again either.

Wtf are you even talking about dude. No class? They're freaking shoes.

Wtf are you even talking about dude. No class? They're freaking shoes.

On this board we have old folks, and we have OLD folks.... "why are they not wearing leather anymore, it looked so much better"

No disrespect to any old folks on the board though

I'll be glad when we play a night game...2:30, 11:00 & 2:30....I'm toasted before dark!

My 10 take aways? We are 1-0 (say that 9 more times)

The low down is that we played a darn good team that will challenge for the ACC championship. Of all the teams that SEC schools played week one, we probably played the best team hands down of any other game. Bammer played a quality opponent, but Louisville IMHO,is a significantly better team than Wisconsin.

If we had played the 4th quarter like the first 3 quarters, we would have played a fine game against a very good team. I am proud of our 2015 Auburn Tigers and am certain we are going to be in for a big treat.

The low down is that we played a darn good team that will challenge for the ACC championship. Of all the teams that SEC schools played week one, we probably played the best team hands down of any other game. Bammer played a quality opponent, but Louisville IMHO,is a significantly better team than Wisconsin.

If we had played the 4th quarter like the first 3 quarters, we would have played a fine game against a very good team. I am proud of our 2015 Auburn Tigers and am certain we are going to be in for a big treat.

UL is a mid-tier ACC team IMO. We must improve a great deal to beat LSU, Texas A&M, uga and spuat. If we play the way we did against UL, the Ole Miss and MSU have at least a 50/50 chance of beating us too. That being posted, I think we will improve. We will know a lot in two weeks after our visit to BR.

wde

Archived