Ten Louisville takeaways

Dual-Threat Rigby

1. Gus Malzahn hasn't changed... If you been an auburn fan for the past two years, you know exactly what I mean. Questionable decisions, good decisions, deciding to leave QBs in a bit too long etc.

2. We got beat up.... We escaped the injury bug basically in training camp but we definitely didn't escape it today. Two players who had their departures immediately noticed were Tray and Carl. We need them back by LSU

3. OL wasn't good... They weren't bad by any means, but they can be a LOT better

4. Barber was LEGIT... I wish we could've seen more of him last year but he proved that he can be a #1 back today.

5. Jason Smith is good.... Dude was great today along with Duke. Hope to see more of these two very often

6. Muschamp did a good job everything considering... Back when he had Lawson and Matthews playing 100% this defense was lights out. When Lawson left it was an immediate drop and it was 2014 esque by the time Matthews dropped. I believe in Muschamp nevertheless

7. This was a bad game... We didn't look anything like a top 10 or top 25 team. Thankfully several other top 10 teams didn't either.

8. Jeremy is still the future??? I think so but man a fundamental problem such as reading coverage is something that's very hard to accept for a QB that should be as accurate as Jeremy. I think he deserves another chance

9-10. When healthy..this is a top 10 team disregarding the QB position. Whenever Jeremy learns to throw and makes it easier for the OL, we can make some major moves.

WEagle

Your #1 is spot on. Same crap calling in key situations. Without two defensive turnovers we start off 0-1.

Had every chance to put them away and let d pin their ears back. looks just like Wisky game last year.

There were options for JJ on those interceptions, but he choose to throw into triple coverage three times and right to a defender once. And that is Gus's fault? LOL. Might want to view the tape.

One of those interceptions nobody was open but that's the lesson he needs to learn, just throw the ball away out of bounds

or run

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a pretty typical 1st game. Don't read too much into it. D looked much improved. JJ will be fine. Orange shoes = NEVER want to see them again...ever.

^^^^^^^^^!!!! Ditto on the orange shoes. They were extremely gaudy and showed no class what so ever and I hope they get ditched, I also never want to see them again either.

Wtf are you even talking about dude. No class? They're freaking shoes.

Love the shoes. And so do the players. Something old farts forget or simply don't get.

It was a pretty typical 1st game. Don't read too much into it. D looked much improved. JJ will be fine. Orange shoes = NEVER want to see them again...ever.

^^^^^^^^^!!!! Ditto on the orange shoes. They were extremely gaudy and showed no class what so ever and I hope they get ditched, I also never want to see them again either.

Really? Are you serious? How in the hell can shoes show no class? That's probably the most ridiculous thing I've read here since the first post in this thread.

Really? Are you serious? How in the hell can shoes show no class? That's probably the most ridiculous thing I've read here since the first post in this thread.

Not the first time someone called the uniforms "classless". I questioned the person in particular on their comment and they had no valid answer as to why they would be classless.

I think it's telling of all the 3 new shoe looks the players choose to go with the orange ones to debut first. The video when the new looks were first introduced to the players showed that they clearly loved them.

I think it should be expected that JJ might not have as great a game as maybe he showed in spots last year. JJ was under tremendous pressure tonight because suddenly it is his team. Last year in his starts he always knew that Marshall could come in and clean up if necessary. That in itself provided a lot of confidence to him. Now it is his team and the game is on his shoulders. He was just out of shorts as he was doing things that are uncharacteristic of JJ. Throwing off his back foot and not stepping into the throw. Showed me all around that the pressure got to him somewhat. Keep in mind too, that generally this is a very young team and depends a lot on true freshmen and redshirt freshment. They are not battle proven and don't know what it is like to reach down in the forth quarter to stop a drive or on offense continue a drive to preserve the win. All in all JJ's arm strength saved the day as that allowed him to get the ball to the receivers even if his technique was not perfect. Clearly we have a lot to work on before LSU. Playing Jacksonville State this weekend will give an opportunity for a lot of players to play and for those injured players to return the following week. It will also give us the time and opportunity to correct some of the mistakes made in this game. We live to fight another day. It is often said that you make your most improvement as a team by the 3rd game of the season. Let's get behind the coaches and players and help them get it done.

JW Shewmake

I hope Jeremy watched this OSU game (after film of course) and looked at Cardale as his main competition for the best in the game. Every great in every sport needs a rivalry or just someone else they want to consider themselves better than. Having that fire in your heart helps your will to succeed a lot more

1. Gus Malzahn hasn't changed... If you been an auburn fan for the past two years, you know exactly what I mean. Questionable decisions, good decisions, deciding to leave QBs in a bit too long etc.

2. We got beat up.... We escaped the injury bug basically in training camp but we definitely didn't escape it today. Two players who had their departures immediately noticed were Tray and Carl. We need them back by LSU

3. OL wasn't good... They weren't bad by any means, but they can be a LOT better

4. Barber was LEGIT... I wish we could've seen more of him last year but he proved that he can be a #1 back today.

5. Jason Smith is good.... Dude was great today along with Duke. Hope to see more of these two very often

6. Muschamp did a good job everything considering... Back when he had Lawson and Matthews playing 100% this defense was lights out. When Lawson left it was an immediate drop and it was 2014 esque by the time Matthews dropped. I believe in Muschamp nevertheless

7. This was a bad game... We didn't look anything like a top 10 or top 25 team. Thankfully several other top 10 teams didn't either.

8. Jeremy is still the future??? I think so but man a fundamental problem such as reading coverage is something that's very hard to accept for a QB that should be as accurate as Jeremy. I think he deserves another chance

9-10. When healthy..this is a top 10 team disregarding the QB position. Whenever Jeremy learns to throw and makes it easier for the OL, we can make some major moves.

WEagle

Well we definitely let them back in the game for sure.But I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the year L-ville is one of the top teams in the ACC. They found there qb and the dude has jets. They will be a tough team in that conference and make us feel better about the win as the year goes on. And Im still really opptomistic bc when Mathews and Lawson where in the d looked amazing as you said & we have always had sluggish starts under Malzahn. Every year the first games have been close even Washington st and going back to the Cam year Clemson and Kentucky. So if the offense gets rolling like it always does to go along with some of the defense we saw in the first half this is a legit team.

You got a quote from the 2014 Georgia game I'm assuming.

Yes, you assume correctly.

The same game that was the worst of Gus's career.

Ok, but I thought we were talking about JJ and NM. I do think it's telling that you brought Gus up, though.

You might want some context next time.

Noted. I'll work on that. For instance, the second quote questioning if JJ should still be regarded as AU's future at QB was made in a post after the first game. A game that we won.

The reasoning for keeping Nick as a starter before that game was because he gave us the best chance to believe.

I was assuming that you go with the the guy who gives you the best chance to win, but you seem to be saying you should go with the guy who gives you the best chance to believe. I can't argue with you there. When things go wrong, its always easier to believe in the guy on the bench.

Obviously after this season was over and some other people had time to think, there was a thought process that Jeremy gave us the best chance to win with a relatively inefficient running game and two NFL receivers and one NFL TE.

Why is it obvious, who are these other people, and when did they come out and say that Jeremy would have given us a better chance to win last year than NM? Also, if having the second ranked rushing attack in the SEC (by only 31 yards) and the conference's leading rusher is inefficient, then ok.

In that quote I'm clearly asking for a backup to come in. In this thread, I'm clearly not asking for a backup to go in next week. Again, not the same situation.

If you want to get technical, then no, it's not the "same" situation. That's not the point. You do have a pattern of calling out the coaches and players whenever things don't go the way we would all like. Last year you were sure that Jeremy was the "spark that we needed" to get things on track. Now this year it turns out that maybe there is no magic spark and he's just a young QB, and like nearly all young QBs he's going to make mistakes. And perhaps the coaches knew that and that's why NM was the starter and Jeremy wasn't. So the point is maybe the coaches know exactly what they're doing, and maybe you don't know quite as much as you think you do.

Let me also say that I'm not pretending to know any more than you do. However, I do know the single most important thing the average fan can: the coaches are far more qualified to field a winning football team than I am. If they think Jeremy is the guy, then there is a very good reason for it. So yes, he is the future, even if that future is not exactly what the sports media promised us it would be.

Ok, but I thought we were talking about JJ and NM. I do think it's telling that you brought Gus up, though.

Noted. I'll work on that. For instance, the second quote questioning if JJ should still be regarded as AU's future at QB was made in a post after the first game. A game that we won.

The reasoning for keeping Nick as a starter before that game was because he gave us the best chance to believe.

I was assuming that you go with the the guy who gives you the best chance to win, but you seem to be saying you should go with the guy who gives you the best chance to believe. I can't argue with you there. When things go wrong, its always easier to believe in the guy on the bench.

Obviously after this season was over and some other people had time to think, there was a thought process that Jeremy gave us the best chance to win with a relatively inefficient running game and two NFL receivers and one NFL TE.

Why is it obvious, who are these other people, and when did they come out and say that Jeremy would have given us a better chance to win last year than NM? Also, if having the second ranked rushing attack in the SEC (by only 31 yards) and the conference's leading rusher is inefficient, then ok.

In that quote I'm clearly asking for a backup to come in. In this thread, I'm clearly not asking for a backup to go in next week. Again, not the same situation.

If you want to get technical, then no, it's not the "same" situation. That's not the point. You do have a pattern of calling out the coaches and players whenever things don't go the way we would all like. Last year you were sure that Jeremy was the "spark that we needed" to get things on track. Now this year it turns out that maybe there is no magic spark and he's just a young QB, and like nearly all young QBs he's going to make mistakes. And perhaps the coaches knew that and that's why NM was the starter and Jeremy wasn't. So the point is maybe the coaches know exactly what they're doing, and maybe you don't know quite as much as you think you do.

Let me also say that I'm not pretending to know any more than you do. However, I do know the single most important thing the average fan can: the coaches are far more qualified to field a winning football team than I am. If they think Jeremy is the guy, then there is a very good reason for it. So yes, he is the future, even if that future is not exactly what the sports media promised us it would be.

Jeremy at the time was statistically the best passer in the nation (with a very small sample size) and was the best passer on our roster. Georgia was clearly daring this offense to do something on offense and Pruitt made Malzahn look like he was back in high school. At that point, why not use Jeremy? If they both suck, then at least you can say you tried something

hewlejd the only thing I would change in that statement is remove the maybe. Other than that, that paragraph was spot on. :lol:

Archived