HS Players Target Referee

Weegle777

Assistant Coach now put on suspension for telling players to target referee.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/assistant-coach-linked-high-school-players-attack-referee/

maybe the freak was right..

Those kids still deserve expulsion and the coach should be fired if this is true. The kids are now claiming racial slurs were used by the ref now. Let the blame game begin!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/assistant-coach-linked-high-school-players-attack-referee/

Those kids still deserve expulsion and the coach should be fired if this is true. The kids are now claiming racial slurs were used by the ref now. Let the blame game begin!

There could be mitigating circumstances though such as the coach ordering them to tackle the ref. That would change things up quite a bit. Like the freak said, just take a wait and see approach.

There could be mitigating circumstances though such as the coach ordering them to tackle the ref. That would change things up quite a bit. Like the freak said, just take a wait and see approach.

The old Nuremberg Defense: "just following orders," right?

I'm glad you all can pass judgement after seeing 5 seconds of a game. There are still too many unknowns before anyone should be talking punishments.

I can't even count how many officials I've wanted to choke slam. Blown calls, god complexes, general a-holiness... you name it. I haven't, but it's been closer than it should have a few times. High school kids are impulsive. There is no way that ref did not escalate the situation. It doesn't excuse the hits, but it might explain them.

NOTHING that happens over the course of a game is justification for this behavior.

We also don't know if the guy even got hurt. How are you going to press criminal charges for being knocked down? C'mon.

Knocked down? Come on dude. Have you actually even watched the video? The first player took a running start right at the official. There was nothing in any way shape or form that "got in his way" where the official was trapped and couldn't escape. The second player speared him. How you can watch that video and say he was just knocked down is beyond me (and the rest of us here). That's completely ridiculous.

I'm just saying wait a few days. More details will be available, Then you all can get back on the soap box and spout about what should be done.

There's so much fail in your entire post its just sad. Officials using racial slurs is now on the table. If that turns out to be true then those officials should be disciplined as well, but NOTHING will even justify their actions on the field. What they did was a criminal act and no information that comes out down the road is going to change that fact. Nobody is spouting here dude.

I'm glad you all can pass judgement after seeing 5 seconds of a game. There are still too many unknowns before anyone should be talking punishments.

I can't even count how many officials I've wanted to choke slam. Blown calls, god complexes, general a-holiness... you name it. I haven't, but it's been closer than it should have a few times. High school kids are impulsive. There is no way that ref did not escalate the situation. It doesn't excuse the hits, but it might explain them.

NOTHING that happens over the course of a game is justification for this behavior.

We also don't know if the guy even got hurt. How are you going to press criminal charges for being knocked down? C'mon.

Knocked down? Come on dude. Have you actually even watched the video? The first player took a running start right at the official. There was nothing in any way shape or form that "got in his way" where the official was trapped and couldn't escape. The second player speared him. How you can watch that video and say he was just knocked down is beyond me (and the rest of us here). That's completely ridiculous.

I'm just saying wait a few days. More details will be available, Then you all can get back on the soap box and spout about what should be done.

There's so much fail in your entire post its just sad. Officials using racial slurs is now on the table. If that turns out to be true then those officials should be disciplined as well, but NOTHING will even justify their actions on the field. What they did was a criminal act and no information that comes out down the road is going to change that fact. Nobody is spouting here dude.

Rule 9-8-1 addresses "Non-contact Unsportsmanlike Contact by Non-Players." Specifically, "objecting to an official's decision" is a 15-yd penalty for the first offense. I would imagine with all the yelling & shouting going on during a game that this rule isn't enforced too tightly unless some blatant profanity is expressed toward an official. I don't doubt this may be a point of emphasis in next year's rule book.

Also, the University Interscholastic League (league responsible for HS sports in TX) has a Sportsmanship Information Manual in a pdf format: http://www.uiltexas.org/athletics/manuals

Pretty interesting reading. All players & coaches are required to sign & date a Code of Conduct. The players will never play another high school athletic event, and the asst coach's career is certainly toast as well.

http://www.uiltexas.org/athletics/manuals

I agree. But doling out punishment after seeing a 5 second clip is silly. Wait for the investigation.

They both ran at him. The first hit was much harder than the spear. If they really wanted to hurt him, they would have. Still not excusable.

I never wanted to justify their actions, just wanted the whole story. A couple days later, we have more information.

And of course there is spouting.... it's aufamily.com after all.

I agree. But doling out punishment after seeing a 5 second clip is silly. Wait for the investigation. No its not. Again, NOTHING that happened prior to this play matters one bit. This clip is all we need to justify punishment for those players and criminal proceedings against them.

They both ran at him. The first hit was much harder than the spear. If they really wanted to hurt him, they would have. Still not excusable.

I never wanted to justify their actions, just wanted the whole story. A couple days later, we have more information.

And of course there is spouting.... it's aufamily.com after all.

Actually we don't know that because we don't know what injuries this official has if any. Being hit (blindsided) while in a standing position is going to likely do less damage than the crown of a players helmet driven into your abdomen. It's highly possible that the second player did more damage than the first based on the type of hit it was. Either way they should both be banned from high school athletics and expelled from school, then let the rest of the criminal proceedings land them where they may.

Don't understand the mentality of those who say 'we need to wait for the investigation' before commenting. Why? This appears to be no different than people commenting on who's going to win the next game, or predicting the final score or which bowl a team will land.

And ... there's precedent for the type of penalties that have been discussed in this thread: http://usatodayhss.c...cking-a-referee

Don't understand the mentality of those who say 'we need to wait for the investigation' before commenting. Why? This appears to be no different than people commenting on who's going to win the next game, or predicting the final score or which bowl a team will land.

And ... there's precedent for the type of penalties that have been discussed in this thread: http://usatodayhss.c...cking-a-referee

And there is also a precedent for due process.

Due process is happening. Most of that is because each party involved is lawyering up due to the charges & allegations being thrown about. Nothing said in this thread is going to affect the outcome of any investigation or penalty imposed. I'm curious: do you think the player ejections from the game & subsequent suspensions from school were justified or not?

Due process is happening. Most of that is because each party involved is lawyering up due to the charges & allegations being thrown about. Nothing said in this thread is going to affect the outcome of any investigation or penalty imposed. I'm curious: do you think the player ejections from the game & subsequent suspensions from school were justified or not?

Well of course. I just don't understand why people on here are saying " what more information do you need!" By gathering more information, we could either strengthen the legal charges, charge more persons, or charge nobody in the grand scheme of things. Because the supposed racial slur by the ref occurred after the second ejection, I would be willing to bet that the ref is in hot water as well.

Well of course. I just don't understand why people on here are saying " what more information do you need!" By gathering more information, we could either strengthen the legal charges, charge more persons, or charge nobody in the grand scheme of things. Because the supposed racial slur by the ref occurred after the second ejection, I would be willing to bet that the ref is in hot water as well.

Careful -- the racial slurs are alleged. If those players are cowardly enough to attack a ref from behind, what do you suppose the chances are that they wouldn't stoop to lying about the racial slurs?

Careful -- the racial slurs are alleged. If those players are cowardly enough to attack a ref from behind, what do you suppose the chances are that they wouldn't stoop to lying about the racial slurs?

I said "supposed" for a reason. I know those words were only allegedly said but that doesnt mean it wasn't said any more than they were said. Even if half the football team claimed to hear the slurs, you would say that the team was merely just covering for two of their former teammates so I doubt we will ever come to any type of conclusion of whether racial words were used. Unless, the coach admits to it....and that is unlikely.

We know what the players did. They should be suspended indefinitely, pending the investigation.

If the coach ordered the hit and/or the ref used racial slurs toward them before the assault occurred, then either could be a mitigating factor in whether they are allowed back.

But regardless, you don't get to lay out someone because they possibly said something offensive. The ref should press charges.

Here's what we know: prior to the blindsiding incident, two John Jay HS players were ejected in separate incidents for taking swings at the other team's players. After the attack on the ref, two more John Jay HS players were ejected -- one of which wasn't involved in the attack. We can assume the ref incorrectly ejected him because he didn't have eyes in the back of his head. The player who should've been ejected went on to hit the QB who was taking a knee to end the game. Unbelievably, he wasn't ejected for that but only flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct(!) So, four ejections in one game and plenty of unsportsmanlike penalties & behaviors ... ... I know teenagers are capable of doing stupid acts all the time, but responsibility for the actions of the team lies with the head coach. If anybody should get the ax, it should be the HC.

Update: the two players involved in the attack on the ref now state they were ordered by their coach.

http://espn.go.com/moresports/story/_/id/13682526/texas-hs-players-say-coach-told-hit-referee

The statements were made on ABC's Good Morning America, and they appeared on the show with their attorney.

Update: the two players involved in the attack on the ref now state they were ordered by their coach.

http://espn.go.com/moresports/story/_/id/13682526/texas-hs-players-say-coach-told-hit-referee

The statements were made on ABC's Good Morning America, and they appeared on the show with their attorney.

the old Nuremberg defense haha

Another article: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/texas-high-school-football-players-coach-made-tackle-ref-article-1.2365567

... The teens and their attorney, Jesse Hernandez, hope the public and officials will go easy on the Honor Society members. They've already been suspended for three days and had to attend an alternative school for a week.

A league hearing is scheduled for Sep. 24, and a district disciplinary hearing has not yet been scheduled, a spokesman said.

"Northside ISD did not know the two boys had gone to New York to interview with ABC News," spokesman Pascual Gonzalez said. "They continue to be assigned to the Northside Alternative High School pending the results of the disciplinary hearing. ..."

One question this raises: if what they now claim is the truth ... ... how come this wasn't stated to the school district or even to the police investigators? I have to hand it to their attorney -- he's earning his pay putting them on TV in a sympathetic light.

Why on earth are these kids being given a public/national forum to discuss this? This is a horrible thing and their attorney is only trying to get sympathy for these kids. They are GUILTY whether they were told to do it by a coach or not. They carried it out. They are doing everything to justify their actions and pass the blame to someone else. They need to go to jail.

Why on earth are these kids being given a public/national forum to discuss this? This is a horrible thing and their attorney is only trying to get sympathy for these kids. They are GUILTY whether they were told to do it by a coach or not. They carried it out. They are doing everything to justify their actions and pass the blame to someone else. They need to go to jail.

Yep. This lawyer is just trying to soften the blow for his clients. Someone (or more) is going to take the fall for this. At the moment, it looks bad for the players & really bad for the asst coach. And I suspect the head coach's responsibility in this won't come out unscathed either.

What the HELL is wrong with these little morons? I hope the kids parents file assault charges, at this point, school district has done nothing about this....nothing. Really?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/high-school-football-player-accused-of-smearing-icy-hot-in-opponents-face/

Archived