I saw this earlier, I thought, and was interested. My list is:

More

Play action passing on first down.

More passes to backs.

Less

Turnovers

Penalties

Runs up the gut on 1st down.

What would you like to see more of on offense, and then what would you like to see less?

1. More throwing it away or scrambling for a few yards when nothing is open by JJ. Fewer INTs caused by forcing the ball in.

2. More actual read option plays (where JJ keeps it a few times based on the read), fewer pre-determined runs.

3. More confidence building short/intermediate throws to build confidence, fewer downfield bombs.

More

interior Screens

Sideline throws

Crossing routes

Less

play action before we have developed the run

bootlegs

JMO but jeremy needs more plays to help set tempo, and the OL shouldnt be having to give him 4+ seconds before a play develops. Im a big fan of the long ball but he looked most comfortable with quicker decisions

All of the above. I was at the game which makes it hard to keep up with everything, but it appeared to me that we had a lot of confusion on our sideline during the offensive possessions. I thought the play calling during our second to the last possession was awful.

More

Uptempo

Read Option

Pass variation toward both sidelines

Emphasis on smart clock management

Smoother motion in the offensive backfield

Offensive line cohesion / teamwork

Less

Staring at the sidelines

Slow-to-develop pre-called runs into the center of the line

Long, desperate passes down the middle on 3rd and long

Offensive backfield confusion

Of course, much of this should come with play time.

What would you like to see more of on offense, and then what would you like to see less?

1. More throwing it away or scrambling for a few yards when nothing is open by JJ. Fewer INTs caused by forcing the ball in.

2. More actual read option plays (where JJ keeps it a few times based on the read), fewer pre-determined runs.

3. More confidence building short/intermediate throws to build confidence, fewer downfield bombs.

What he said and I'll add

1. More targets to the backs in the flats or wheel route.

2. Development of a receiving threat at either h-back or TE

3. More of a CAM style running approach for JJ every once in a while he is big kid and has the ability us it!

All of the above. I was at the game which makes it hard to keep up with everything, but it appeared to me that we had a lot of confusion on our sideline during the offensive possessions. I thought the play calling during our second to the last possession was awful.

Lashlee needs to rethink the play calling, it didn't look good several times last night. And once JJ bombed the INTs, the offense was very limited. There was noticeable confusion between the field and the sideline.

This and

What he said and I'll add

1. More targets to the backs in the flats or wheel route.

2. Development of a receiving threat at either h-back or TE

3. More of a CAM style running approach for JJ every once in a while he is big kid and has the ability us it!

that

Lashlee needs to rethink the play calling, it didn't look good several times last night. And once JJ bombed the INTs, the offense was very limited. There was noticeable confusion between the field and the sideline.

ESPN had a little cutaway to the sideline where Gus seemed frustrated/confused with something that happened on offense and Rhett seemed like he had a lot of explaining to do. Sometimes I think the system is, Gus gives a general request to Rhett, Rhett finds a play that he believes best fits that request, and then the play is delivered from the sidelines. Not completely like Saban/Kiffin, but sort of the same relationship.

All of these, especially number 2. I think that would've opened things up even more and would've resulted in more points/our O at least being on the field longer

All of these, especially number 2. I think that would've opened things up even more and would've resulted in more points/our O at least being on the field longer

I think they are limiting his keeps to prevent him from taking so many hits. They don't want to have to throw Sean White to the wolves. But you have to keep people honest. Tell JJ to get down or out of bounds quickly. He doesn't have to stretch for first downs and take hard shots. Make them respect the possibility that the RB isn't getting the ball. It will result in a few decent gains for JJ but will more importantly, keep them from crashing hard on the RB every play and open some things up for them as well.

I think they are limiting his keeps to prevent him from taking so many hits. They don't want to have to throw Sean White to the wolves. But you have to keep people honest. Tell JJ to get down or out of bounds quickly. He doesn't have to stretch for first downs and take hard shots. Make them respect the possibility that the RB isn't getting the ball. It will result in a few decent gains for JJ but will more importantly, keep them from crashing hard on the RB every play and open some things up for them as well.

I agree, but I do feel like JJ should reach for first downs in 3rd down situations.Failed 3rd downs, whether it was brought back by penalty or we just didn't get it, hurt us last night.

Work in progress but I expect a big step forward this week and next. LSU will be a tough road game, but I like what we are building here. JJ just needs to work within himself and stop throwing off his back foot.

We as fans have a lot of confidence in our coaches and stand behind their decisions. We all saw that JJ had some issues yesterday but I keep reading the "he will be fine". Based on what? And I don't mean that in a disrespectful way but I genuinely want to know is that just based on wishful thinking and trust that our coaches know best? Because I have to say that I am genuinely concerned. NM had issues being a consistent passer but his elusiveness as a running, his ability to read defenses, and his football IQ were intangibles that had everyone's respect.

We saw snippets of JJ last year and we're ready for a more balanced and powerful offense. But after yesterday I realized that when JJ played last year he had scripted plays and rarely if ever ran. So what have we seen that makes us think he can lead and play QB or be more of a KF. He throw into coverage and right at the other team's players. Yes he was out of the pocket but not exactly about to go down. He ran for a first down and went down before he got to the 1st down mark. His decision making, lack of reading a defense, and possibly bad mechanics when under pressure are really big problems. This is about football smarts and I'm not sure this is something the coaches can just teach watching game film. You guys made fun of other schools and their QB issues, well the UAT and UGA QBs played very well. Let's take off our O&B glasses. We may have a problem. We would have beaten UL handidly yesterday with better play from one position. That's a fact. SW is supposed to have that football IQ and intangibles. I for one hope he gets reps next week. JSU is not much of a test but LSU will kill us if JJ doesn't have his act together. And this team is too talented to throw away one game based on poor play when the next guy is waiting in the sidelines.

We as fans have a lot of confidence in our coaches and stand behind their decisions. We all saw that JJ had some issues yesterday but I keep reading the "he will be fine". Based on what? ...

Well, that's the question isn't it?

On the "will be fine" side are these popular beliefs:

1) Gus and Rhett know talent when they see it

2) JJ is a fundamentally sound player

3) JJ knows this offense

4) JJ is a fit for this offense and is capable of running it to Gus' high standards

5) the poor showing against Louisville was chiefly the result of JJ trying too hard

6) JJ's 'issues' can be remedied in time to play well this season

There's a lot of reason to believe these points. Gus isn't new to football and he has to have pretty good reasons to trust JJ with his offensive machine, or he wouldn't do it. The simplest, and therefore most likely scenario is that JJ just overplayed, so it's most logical to accept that as true reality until more evidence says otherwise.

I hear you, though. You can read some of my posts in the post game thread to view my evil, not-for-children, anti-Auburn 'pessimism'. :beat up:

Well I hope this humbles JJ a little. I personally think he came into this game a little cocky. Atleast that's what people he hangs around have been saying about him. He is a solid player and I think he will be fine. beides not all that happened yesterday was his fault. The play calling did not help him much either. They should have established the run first and gave him some easy throws instead of slinging it down field.

We as fans have a lot of confidence in our coaches and stand behind their decisions. We all saw that JJ had some issues yesterday but I keep reading the "he will be fine". Based on what? And I don't mean that in a disrespectful way but I genuinely want to know is that just based on wishful thinking and trust that our coaches know best? Because I have to say that I am genuinely concerned. NM had issues being a consistent passer but his elusiveness as a running, his ability to read defenses, and his football IQ were intangibles that had everyone's respect.

We saw snippets of JJ last year and we're ready for a more balanced and powerful offense. But after yesterday I realized that when JJ played last year he had scripted plays and rarely if ever ran. So what have we seen that makes us think he can lead and play QB or be more of a KF. He throw into coverage and right at the other team's players. Yes he was out of the pocket but not exactly about to go down. He ran for a first down and went down before he got to the 1st down mark. His decision making, lack of reading a defense, and possibly bad mechanics when under pressure are really big problems. This is about football smarts and I'm not sure this is something the coaches can just teach watching game film. You guys made fun of other schools and their QB issues, well the UAT and UGA QBs played very well. Let's take off our O&B glasses. We may have a problem. We would have beaten UL handidly yesterday with better play from one position. That's a fact. SW is supposed to have that football IQ and intangibles. I for one hope he gets reps next week. JSU is not much of a test but LSU will kill us if JJ doesn't have his act together. And this team is too talented to throw away one game based on poor play when the next guy is waiting in the sidelines.

All the questions about JJ are valid but what makes you think Sean is the answer any more than we all thought JJ was the answer in the off-season? Sure we've HEARD good things about Sean but we've SEEN JJ dominate a SEC defense for a half last year.

From the first play from scrimmage, Roc off tackle, I was prepared to see Auburn football. Power running game with enough passing to keep the defense honest.

Instead, after that first play, it was like "air raid" instead. A lot of pressure was put on JJ throughout the first quarter to carry the heavy load, passing the football. They certainly didn't make it easy for JJ to settle down and build confidence.

The coaches may have felt forced into that, out of respect to the Louisville front 7. And maybe they were hoping to break the game open from the outset.

We are laying a lot of blame on JJ. And he's blaming himself. But the coaches may have miscalculated how much they could put on JJ's shoulders at the very beginning.

I am going to predict your future, but first I will delve into your past.

2014: "Nick Marshall can't throw. We need to see more of Jeremy Johnson, RIGHT NOW!"

Now let's go over your present.

2015: "Jeremy Johnson had a bad game. We need to see more of Sean White. RIGHT NOW!"

This is what I see in your future.

2016: "Sean White is a statue. We need to see more of Tyler Queen. RIGHT NOW!"

2017: "Tyler Queen is too slow. We need to see more of Woody Barrett. RIGHT NOW!"

Well I hope this humbles JJ a little. I personally think he came into this game a little cocky. Atleast that's what people he hangs around have been saying about him. He is a solid player and I think he will be fine. beides not all that happened yesterday was his fault. The play calling did not help him much either. They should have established the run first and gave him some easy throws instead of slinging it down field.

He better be a little cocky. I don't know ANY successful qb's that's not.

Archived