Army Adds New Charge Against Bergdahl

Proud Tiger

misbehavior before the enemy, a much rarer offense that carries a stiffer potential penalty in this case.

"I've never seen it charged," Walter Huffman, a retired major general who served as the Army's top lawyer, said of the misbehavior charge. "It's not something you find in common everyday practice in the military."

The timing for this sure does seem curious. But I'm not sure if this helps , hurts or has any impact on O's legacy. I know what the story says, but my guess is something like this has been well researched, and someone is trying to prove a point, or make it look like they're trying to prove a point... this isn't just some random " Oh, and by the way, let's do this for funzies " .

Strings are being pulled here. By someone.

If Berdaghl is found guilty(should be) before Obama leaves office could Obama pardon Berdaghl on his way out of office? If Obama can pardon Berdaghl I am afraid he will. If Obama does pardon Berdaghl he would basically be telling all of those who served honorably past and present your service is worth nothing. This includes me as I served honorably for 20 years in the Navy.

If Berdaghl is found guilty(should be) before Obama leaves office could Obama pardon Berdaghl on his way out of office? If Obama can pardon Berdaghl I am afraid he will. If Obama does pardon Berdaghl he would basically be telling all of those who served honorably past and present your service is worth nothing. This includes me as I served honorably for 20 years in the Navy.

Thank you for your service. This is a DoD matter. Obama will not subvert that process and pardon Bergdahl.

Art. 99. Misbehavior before the enemy

Any member of the armed forces who before or in the presence of the enemy—

(1)

runs away;

shamefully abandons, surrenders, or delivers up any command, unit, place, or military property which it is his duty to defend;

(3)

through disobedience, neglect, or intentional misconduct endangers the safety of any such command, unit, place, or military property;

casts away his arms or ammunition;

(5)

is guilty of cowardly conduct;

quits his place of duty to plunder or pillage;

(7)

causes false alarms in any command, unit, or place under control of the armed forces;

<a name="8" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(0, 92, 114); text-decoration: underline; background-image: initial; background-position: 0px 0px; background-repeat: initial;">
(8)

willfully fails to do his utmost to encounter, engage, capture, or destroy any enemy troops, combatants, vessels, aircraft, or any other thing, which it is his duty so to encounter, engage, capture, or destroy; or

(9)

does not afford all practicable relief and assistance to any troops, combatants, vessels, or aircraft of the armed forces belonging to the United States or their allies when engaged in battle;

shall be punished by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct.

I doubt he would. Bergdahl was a convenient tool or pawn to use in the continued emptying of Gitmo. Obama was looking for any excuse to release more of those prisoners and that was available. I don't think his fate is of any importance to Obama.

You're over looking the fact that Susan Rice clearly stated that Bergdahl served with " honor and distinction "

How dare you try and besmirch the good reputation of one of America's finest !

:drippingsarcasm7pa:

Thank you for your service. This is a DoD matter. Obama will not subvert that process and pardon Bergdahl.

Nixon granted William Calley a limited pardon in 1974, but only after Calley's court martial. The conviction and punishment of Calley was also highly unpopular.

On his radio show this morning, Bill Bennett expressed the belief that Obama would commute or pardon him. Citing Obama's involvement in nonviolent drug cases, and other situations were the president has interjected himself, I think the case can be made but it's likely he would insert himself yet again.

On his radio show this morning, Bill Bennett expressed the belief that Obama would commute or pardon him. Citing Obama's involvement in nonviolent drug cases, and other situations were the president has interjected himself, I think the case can be made but it's likely he would insert himself yet again.

I think I am starting to see your problem. Turn off your radio.

Indeed. If Obama was inserting himself, wouldnt he have prevented the Army adding the article 99 charge? A charge that carries a much stiffer penalty.

A former cabinet member voices his opinion on the topic, and that's my problem? Bill was talking to somebody else, sorry forgot who was in the interview, but they actually also agreed. He was CORRECTION: I believe it was -

• Andy McCarthy: Policy fellow at the National Review Institute; author of "Faithless Execution: Building the Political Case for Obama’s Impeachment"

and the interview started around 830. Point is, this view that Obama has a tendency to go rogue and do things on his own, like this, isn't just some extremist far fringe nutcase view . It's pretty mainstream actually. Bill Bennett is pretty moderate in most regards , even to the point of having some " rhino" tendencies.

A former cabinet member voices his opinion on the topic, and that's my problem? Bill was talking to somebody else, sorry forgot who was in the interview, but they actually also agreed. He was a Washington reporter, and the area started around 830. Point is, this view that Obama has a tendency to go rogue and do things on his own, like this, isn't just some extremist far fringe nutcase view . It's pretty mainstream actually. Bill Bennett is pretty moderate in most regards , even to the point of having some " rhino" tendencies.

I think the voices in your head are the problem. By turning off the radio you can at least eliminate one of them.

Assuming former cabinet members are naturally clairvoyant is probably a different issue.

Wow. Dumb & dumber in one post.

As edited above, the discussion ( with Andy McCarthy ) on whether Obama may commute / pardon Bergdahl's sentence was not so much a prediction, but if it was conceivable that he would do such a thing.

Now, I fully understand if you dismiss out of hand the opinions of a former Reagan and Bush 41 cabinet member, along w/ * Andy McCarthy , but you do so out of sheer ignorance on who they are and their combined experience in the workings of D.C. at the political level.

Like them or not, agree with them or not, you really are proving yourself a perfect example of the Dunning - Kruger effect in action. Congrats.

* Andrew C. McCarthy III is a former assistant U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York. He led the 1995 terrorism prosecution against Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman and eleven others. The defendants were convicted of the 1993 World Trade Center bombing and of planning a series of attacks against New York City landmarks. He also contributed to the prosecutions of terrorists who bombed U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. He resigned from the Justice Department in 2003. He is a contributing editor of National Review and a senior fellow at the National Review Institute.

http://www.nationalr...drew-c-mccarthy

You see homer, when trying to follow and understand an issue which is outside of ones profession or every day experience, it actually benefits one to look to others who know what they are talking about w/regards to said topic. At the very least, they understand the topic, and in hearing them discuss it, one may actually learn from the knowledge and experience of others.

Try it sometime.

Wow. Dumb & dumber in one post.

As edited above, the discussion ( with Andy McCarthy ) on whether Obama may commute / pardon Bergdahl's sentence was not so much a prediction, but if it was conceivable that he would do such a thing.

Now, I fully understand if you dismiss out of hand the opinions of a former Reagan and Bush 41 cabinet member, along w/ * Andy McCarthy , but you do so out of sheer ignorance on who they are and their combined experience in the workings of D.C. at the political level.

Like them or not, agree with them or not, you really are proving yourself a perfect example of the Dunning - Kruger effect in action. Congrats.

* Andrew C. McCarthy III is a former assistant U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York. He led the 1995 terrorism prosecution against Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman and eleven others. The defendants were convicted of the 1993 World Trade Center bombing and of planning a series of attacks against New York City landmarks. He also contributed to the prosecutions of terrorists who bombed U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. He resigned from the Justice Department in 2003. He is a contributing editor of National Review and a senior fellow at the National Review Institute.

http://www.nationalr...drew-c-mccarthy

You see homer, when trying to follow and understand an issue which is outside of ones profession or every day experience, it actually benefits one to look to others who know what they are talking about w/regards to said topic. At the very least, they understand the topic, and in hearing them discuss it, one may actually learn from the knowledge and experience of others.

Try it sometime.

Are you seriously trying to argue a prediction with me?

That's irrational even for you. :-\

Homer - yore an idiot or didn't read what I posted . Which one ?

The only idiocy is, the assertion that an added charge, with a more serious penalty, indicates "strings being pulled".

Your "logic" in never logical outside of the fanatical right-wing echo chamber.

So much of what you know is simply not true.

You should avoid the use of the word "true".

It does not matter what I think. Your posts speak for themselves. Outside of the echo chamber they are absurd.

It does not matter what I think. Your posts speak for themselves. Outside of the echo chamber they are absurd.

Truth that you can't comprehend doesn't make it ' absurd '. Just ... beyond you.

Truth that you can't comprehend doesn't make it ' absurd '. Just ... beyond you.

Yes, that talk radio BS is really deep. LOL

You're a deep thinker, an intellectual giant.

Archived