Tiger Talk - Jacksonville State Game

RunInRed

Still struggling to get used to Tiger Talk on Mondays ...

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on freshmen in opener: "They played hard… there are going to be growing pains." Mistakes, he said, are correctable

Gus Malzahn on Jeremy Johnson: "I feel like he did some good things. Early on, I think he was a little greedy. That comes with experience."

Gus Malzahn on his Tigers: "They were excited we won. And they should have been excited. Our coaching staff feels good at where we're at."

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on running back Peyton Barber: "He got stronger as the game went on." Gained 115 yards in the opener.

Will injuries keep players out of Auburn's second game? "Don't think so," says Gus Malzahn on Tiger Talk.

Gus Malzahn on Daniel Carlson's 56-yard field goal: "I think it would have been good from 10 more yards." Carlson one of SEC players of week

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on his defense in opener: "Especially in the first half, we played in their backfield."

Gus Malzahn on Auburn's orange shoes in opener: "It's going to take me a little bit getting use to that deal...The players really liked it."

Gus Malzahn on Jeremy Johnson: "I just want to tell everybody he's going to be a really, really good quarterback for us." via Tiger Talk

@AUGoldMine

Gus Malzahn was just asked if Gray King would get much playing time this season. That's a thing that happened.

Gus on H-backs: "That was their first rodeo.... I thought both of them were very physical." Mistakes were correctable

Gus: Jacksonville State is a very good team. They were one of the best (FCS) teams last year.

Things that need to be fixed, according to Gus? 1. Protect the ball. That's it. Feels good about everything else

Gus on Tray Matthews: "He's definitely one of our physical leaders. He loves the physical part. Did a good job"

Gus says Auburn only missed eight tackles, which is good for the first game, no matter who you're playing.

Gus: Montravius probably had his best game as an Auburn Tiger.

On UL 61-yd FG: "There was talk about that, there's no doubt. We almost put Rudy Ford back ... probably should have."

That's Gus talking about the decision to not put a return man back on the 61-yard FG attempt at end of first half

Malzahn says competition at left guard could continue

Gus on Jeremy: "I just want to tell everybody, he's going to be a really good quarterback for us"

Anyone surprise Gus on Saturday? "Not one person stands out, but the freshmen ... We had a lot of question marks"

Gus on freshmen: That group as a whole, we have a lot of confidence in.

@AUBlog

Malzahn says kick returners is still "by committee"

Malzahn on Louisville freshman QB Lamar Jackson: "We didn't even know that quarterback was going to play."

Malzahn on Jacksonville State's strength: "Their defense. They finished 11-2. They lost to Michigan State and in quarterfinals."

Malzahn: "We had a chance to really put the game away and we had the holding call on a touchdown."

Malzahn: "If we'd hit that touchdown (that got called back on holding call), it would've been a fun 4th quarter for our fans."

Malzahn on injuries that could be long term: "No, I don't think so. They're all going to be fine."

Malzahn on using the RBs in the passing game: "I would've liked to see a little more of those check downs."

@matthewcstevens

You can see how they trying to tell the rabid fan....chill, it's not coach speak JJ is a good qb

Yeah I can see that but to play devils advocate:

Why didn't he listen when they said quit being greedy. The second one was not being greedy, he straight up misread that and made a terrible throw.

Not going to mention the third.

Well ok he made some bad decisions....He had a bad game. Many great qb's have. Guys with strong arms take chances because they feel they can make the throw...

You can see how they trying to tell the rabid fan....chill, it's not coach speak JJ is a good qb

Why didn't he listen when they said quit being greedy. The second one was not being greedy, he straight up misread that and made a terrible throw.

The situation seemed to me like every bad throw, Jeremy knew what was wrong and when asked by the coaching staff, he'd tell them what was wrong, and they basically said don't do it and that cycle just repeated 6 or so more times. I gotta believe it was more mind numbing for the fans than it was for the two of them since Jeremy seemed perfectly content with continuing for the long play and the staff was fine calling bombs until it was beyond unbearable.

Fwiw, Jacksonville State not being a joke is not just coach speak. Their most recent resume highlight is leading Florida State on it's own field with less than a minute to go in the game.

Fwiw, Jacksonville State not being a joke is not just coach speak. Their most recent resume highlight is leading Florida State on it's own field with less than a minute to go in the game.

That was 6 years ago, so I do think it should be discounted a bit. But they were very good last year.

A top ten FCS team, half their starters probably began their careers at FBS schools...and a bunch of experienced players. I don't think they will be intimidated playing at Auburn. A chance for AU to be surprised if they take them lightly. Not saying they can beat AU but would not be surprised to see a lot of crying and moaning on this board on Saturday evening.

The situation seemed to me like every bad throw, Jeremy knew what was wrong and when asked by the coaching staff, he'd tell them what was wrong, and they basically said don't do it and that cycle just repeated 6 or so more times. I gotta believe it was more mind numbing for the fans than it was for the two of them since Jeremy seemed perfectly content with continuing for the long play and the staff was fine calling bombs until it was beyond unbearable.

Interceptions on bombs aren't the problem. The several times a DB was drilled right in the chest on an intermediate route is what's worrisome. If the DB hadn't dropped that last such throw right at the end it could well have cost us the game.

Favre's biggest problem as a qb was his arm. What made him great was confidence in his arm. Theoretically Johnson shouldn't have thrown that td pass either

Funny, when you read back over this thread, some of our posters knew JSU wasn't going to be a cakewalk.

Keep us updated on Tiger Talk, please. Although, I wouldn't blame Gus if he just shut down all communication to the outside world for a while. lol

Tiger talk was a joke. Toughest question asked was whether JJ will run the ball more. He was asked about injuries and said guys are day to day. Softball questions...had tiger talk in the studio instead of at Victory Grill (to avoid answering real question?). Joke of a show and nothing more than a puff piece. If this is what we get on tiger talk, I won't be tuning in anymore. I have better things to do than listen to coach speak and half truths.

Pretty bland ^^^ (as said before)

Gus: Positive that no one panicked and that, 'Fans stayed with us'.

Expects Jeremy to get better

Jovon Robinson expected back this week from ankle injury

Responding to question concerning Jeremy running: says he can definitely run and will definitely run before year us out, however defensive alignment's haven't been favorable first two games

Responding to Jason Smith in wildcat role: he did practice wildcat in spring and can run (ho hum)

Tray Mathews and Carl Lawson still day to day

On Holsey - will be tomorrow before he knows anything

(about all there was)

Responding to question concerning Jeremy running: says he can definitely run and will definitely run before year us out, however defensive alignment's haven't been favorable first two games

Responding to Jason Smith in wildcat role: he did practice wildcat in spring and can run (ho hum)

(about all there was)

Well, the news about Jovon is interesting, given the talk of the altercation on the sideline and resulting doghousing of him.

(about all there was)

Well, the news about Jovon is interesting, given the talk of the altercation on the sideline and resulting doghousing of him.

Well, in bad coach speak terminology, he said he was banged and we "hope to have him back"

(about all there was)

Well, in bad coach speak terminology, he said he was banged and we "hope to have him back"

Sounds like Gus left himself an out.

I'll be interested to see if he plays, still.

Archived