Holding calls and AU

AU Ivory_dealer

An additional hold not called and probably the most wide open example was perpetuated against Adams when he caused the fumble and Garrett got the TD. After seeing things like that (shown below), then watching his own guys get some marginal calls at very critical times, no wonder Grimes went off.

3845873.jpg

So much for Under Armour's "ungrabbable jersey" claim.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of which coach cussed out the refs, the end result was to back up the team 30 instead of 15 yds. Lashlee saying 4 out of 5 of the holding calls were correct is another stupid thing to say. Dumb & dumber. Blame the refs or the conference they came from all you want. Bottom line is that AU got flagged for 5 holding calls in the first game of the season -- this is a serious problem that needs to be corrected faster than Jeremy going through his reads. .

Holding Calls plaqued us all last year and they started in abundance this year. With this much talent on the line I'm amazed that it's continuing to occur.

Undisciplined and been that way for a while on this team.

Maybe last year but I wouldn't say that about this game at all. After watching the game on replay to focus on both line plays, the holding calls were in the legit but marginal category. On a couple of them you had to replay it over again just see what "could" be called a hold. On the one on Smith, he got tripped and stuck out an arm as a reaction to falling as he tried to stop the DT from breaking on JJ. The DT then tripped over Smith. I didn't see anything undisciplined.

Meanwhile, as others pointed out, the same refs watched the Louisville OL get beat, time and time again, then blatantly hold from behind by grabbing a shoulder or neck and just hanging on. I counted 7 like that, 2 against Russell, 3 against Adams and 2 against Lawson, before I just got tired of counting. Yet zero holding calls on Louisville all game long. Here is one example and I remember this play from replay. The O lineman also had hold of the pads with his left hand, behind Lawson's neck.

3847245.jpg

An additional hold not called and probably the most wide open example was perpetuated against Adams when he caused the fumble and Garrett got the TD. After seeing things like that (shown below), then watching his own guys get some marginal calls at very critical times, no wonder Grimes went off.

3845873.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics. It was soooo bias, I really think something needs to be said to the little ten conference head of officials. Your pics are just two of several blatant holding violations that weren't called, while AU was flagged 5 times for much less serious offenses.

Complaining about the refs is making us sound like arkansas razorbitches. According to the hogs, no one has ever beaten them fair and square. The refs were biased or the other team cheated. They even think all of their wins should have been by bigger margins if it were not for the refs.

Like an umpire for baseball, the refs job is not necessarily to make the correct call, but to make a call. They need to TRY to make the correct call, but it is unimportant. It evens out for both teams by the end of the game. Without umps and refs, the games would never make it past the first inning/quarter. no games would ever get finished. Teams players and coaches would argue over the first penalty until the sun went down, or the game was called.

It should be manditory for all fans of any sport that get upset at the refs to watch the old (1930's) baseball movie, "KILL THE UMPIRE".

You mention the whining Arky fans and I automatically think of the whining LSU fans that cry and complain about the refs constantly. Oh, and the LSU folks whine about freaking schedules and cross-division rivalries till it'll make you puke.

You mention the whining Arky fans and I automatically think of the whining LSU fans that cry and complain about the refs constantly. Oh, and the LSU folks whine about freaking schedules and cross-division rivalries till it'll make you puke.

I agree.

Please do not take my comments on arkansas to be exclusively an Arkansas trait. They are just so obvious and extreme about it that they stand out the most to me. LSU IS almost as bad.

I just do not want us to sound like the whiny bishes of LSU or AR. The refs are not an excuse for our less than expected perfomance.

Complaining about the refs is making us sound like arkansas razorbitches. According to the hogs, no one has ever beaten them fair and square. The refs were biased or the other team cheated. They even think all of their wins should have been by bigger margins if it were not for the refs.

Like an umpire for baseball, the refs job is not necessarily to make the correct call, but to make a call. They need to TRY to make the correct call, but it is unimportant. It evens out for both teams by the end of the game. Without umps and refs, the games would never make it past the first inning/quarter. no games would ever get finished. Teams players and coaches would argue over the first penalty until the sun went down, or the game was called.

It should be manditory for all fans of any sport that get upset at the refs to watch the old (1930's) baseball movie, "KILL THE UMPIRE".

That's not even remotely true. As a football and basketball official for over 25 years I can tell you first hand that our first responsibility is to get the call right. If they weren't supposed to get it right, there would be no replay. If they weren't supposed to get it right, there would be no conferences among officials on the field to gather all the information when the play was over. (This is often seen when there is a potential for an intentional grounding call). If the Referee is doing his job, he's watching the QB once he begins his passing motion and for the rest of the down. If the QB throws the ball, the Referee will very often have no idea if the pass was complete or incomplete and definitely not know if an eligible receiver was in the area. Therefore, they get together. They headlinesman or linejudge come up and tell him there was nobody close to where he threw the ball. Then the Referee would throw the flag for intentional grounding.

To think their job is to just make a call and not necessarily get it right is asinine.

To think their job is to just make a call and not necessarily get it right is asinine.

That is not what I said. In my original post I wrote that refs need to TRY to make the correct call. (I even put try in all caps.)

Making the right call is not as important as everyone makes it out to be.

Do you make biased decisions when you make or miss a call?

Are you saying you see everything, and never make a mistake?

How many missed calls are there on any play?

How many false calls are made during a game?

It all evens out in the end. Sometimes your team gets screwed. Sometimes the other team gets screwed. But without an authority figure to make a call (even if it is a bad call) players and coaches would argue it til they were blue in the face, and never finish a game.

Try to remember playing backyard football when you were a kid. Do you ever remember finishing a game? If it was too long ago to remember, find some kids playing sandlot baseball, or backyard football and ask them. Most of those games go until there is a penalty or not being able to agree on something that happened in the game. The next 25+ minutes consists of arguing over that play. IF the game continues, it only continues until the next controversial play. Then... much more arguing. This usuall goes on until their parents call them home for dinner. Many hours of playing with few minutes of actual game time.

The point is that refs and umps are not infallible. Mistakes will be made. The mistakes even out in the end. The imortant thing is that someone with authority steps up and makes a decision (correct or otherwise). Very few if any refs/umps make a conscious decision to screw a team... at least, I have NEVER met one.

Refs and Umps became a part of sports because humans see what they want to see. Decissions between opponents would never be made without them... right or wrong.

Once again. Refs need to make every effort to make the correct call, but more importantly is that a decision is made.

That is not what I said. In my original post I wrote that refs need to TRY to make the correct call. (I even put try in all caps.)

That's EXACTLY what you said... "They need to TRY to make the correct call, but it is unimportant.
Making the right call is not as important as everyone makes it out to be.
Yes it is. Getting the call right is the very foundation of officiating. Clearly you've never officiated a game of any kind.
Do you make biased decisions when you make or miss a call?
Absolutely NOT. We have a rule book that governs what we call.
Are you saying you see everything, and never make a mistake?
No I'm not. There's no way that 8 people (college) can see everything that 22 people are doing. It's not possible, nor did I say officiating is perfect. Don't assume things to make your point. It's not working.
How many missed calls are there on any play?
There's no way to know that until the game film is reviewed. If the officials are working their primary areas and covering their keys and assignments, there are very few, and certainly a lot less than you think.
How many false calls are made during a game?
None. We are taught from the very beginning to see the entire play. If we don't see the entire play we don't flag it. in my 25+ years we've never made up a call to unjustly penalize a team.

Missed calls are more likely given the option of the two, but its likely because the covering official didn't see the entire play. Not because he's intentionally screwing somebody over.

It all evens out in the end. Sometimes your team gets screwed. Sometimes the other team gets screwed. But without an authority figure to make a call (even if it is a bad call) players and coaches would argue it til they were blue in the face, and never finish a game.

Try to remember playing backyard football when you were a kid. Do you ever remember finishing a game? If it was too long ago to remember, find some kids playing sandlot baseball, or backyard football and ask them. Most of those games go until there is a penalty or not being able to agree on something that happened in the game. The next 25+ minutes consists of arguing over that play. IF the game continues, it only continues until the next controversial play. Then... much more arguing. This usuall goes on until their parents call them home for dinner. Many hours of playing with few minutes of actual game time.

Not at all relevant.
The point is that refs and umps are not infallible. Mistakes will be made. The mistakes even out in the end. The important thing is that someone with authority steps up and makes a decision (correct or otherwise). Very few if any refs/umps make a conscious decision to screw a team... at least, I have NEVER met one.

I never said they were. You said, they need to try to get the right call but its really unimportant that they do. Those were your words.

Refs and Umps became a part of sports because humans see what they want to see. Decissions between opponents would never be made without them... right or wrong.

Once again. Refs need to make every effort to make the correct call, but more importantly is that a decision is made.

I agree to a certain extent, but its clear you've never officiated a game. You downplay the importance of getting the call right, when the two go hand in hand. We have to make snap decisions in a game and its important to make the call, but its equally important to make the RIGHT call.

AND...it's important that the players trust that the refs are neutral in the process.

JMO but objective and neutral officiating is the foundation of a well played game. Players must accept that the refs are not favoring either team...and if a player commits a violation, he will be called for it. Otherwise, the game would be mayhem.

I hope no one takes this personally, but there were obvious, blatant, holds by the cards O-line and wide outs (re-watch some of their sweep plays); Ck posted pics above.

Unfortunately the calls on Saturday were very far from objective and neutral. If it was all human error, they made allot of errors.

Again, nothing personal directed at any one person.

AND...it's important that the players trust that the refs are neutral in the process.

JMO but objective and neutral officiating is the foundation of a well played game. Players must accept that the refs are not favoring either team...and if a player commits a violation, he will be called for it. Otherwise, the game would be mayhem.

Agreed with you and WarTiger. I played a lot of sports growing up. I also had a healthy (and utterly idiotic) disregard for authority. I was always "that kid" giving the refs a hard time, but it wasn't because I thought they were biased or disinterested in getting it right. I just always thought they should get every call right every time. Now I'm an adult and I'm slightly less ignorant about how sports- and life in general- work.

Now, there is some grey area for most sports in terms of a ref controlling the tone of a game. There are a LOT of judgment calls. Sometimes it becomes obvious that you have two powder kegs begging for a spark, so you have to call a game really tightly so that things don't get out of hand. Other times you just have a beautiful, intense, well-played contest on your hands and you just have to keep it between the ditches and otherwise stay out of the way. Fouls are always fouls, but you don't whistle some ticky-tack BS in the last minutes of a close and otherwise clean game. In all scenarios, you just have to be consistent.

As for our 5 holding calls to Louisville's 0, that's pretty awful, particularly when there were so many obvious (to us) holds on Louisville. I'd love to be in the room when the officials did their review and hear their side of it.

I hope no one takes this personally, but there were obvious, blatant, holds by the cards O-line and wide outs (re-watch some of their sweep plays); Ck posted pics above.

Unfortunately the calls on Saturday were very far from objective and neutral. If it was all human error, they made allot of errors.

UofL got away with many holds in the game. The last TD by their RB, our DB in the endzone (the only Auburn player close enough to make an attempt to hit the RB before he crossed the goal line) was being held by the UL WR. Two full hands of jersey, being pulled the opposite direction. No call.

Numerous times, our D-Linemen (who lived in UofL's backfield all night) were seen being dragged down from behind when chasing their elusive QB, or when bull-rushing for the sack. No calls on any of them.

I was just as frustrated as Gus by this, so I don't blame him for blowing up the refs and getting the penalty. I hate that it happened, but I was even more pissed at Verne and Gary making a big deal out of it, saying they couldn't show the replay because of the foul-language that Gus used. They don't seem to mind showing Saban dropping f-bombs and slinging his headset 3-4 times a game (and this is when they are winning, by the way).

Auburn just seems to be one of those teams that get called for holding all throughout the game, but rarely get the favor returned when we're on offense.

UofL got away with many holds in the game. The last TD by their RB, our DB in the endzone (the only Auburn player close enough to make an attempt to hit the RB before he crossed the goal line) was being held by the UL WR. Two full hands of jersey, being pulled the opposite direction. No call.

Numerous times, our D-Linemen (who lived in UofL's backfield all night) were seen being dragged down from behind when chasing their elusive QB, or when bull-rushing for the sack. No calls on any of them.

I was just as frustrated as Gus by this, so I don't blame him for blowing up the refs and getting the penalty. I hate that it happened, but I was even more pissed at Verne and Gary making a big deal out of it, saying they couldn't show the replay because of the foul-language that Gus used. They don't seem to mind showing Saban dropping f-bombs and slinging his headset 3-4 times a game (and this is when they are winning, by the way).

Auburn just seems to be one of those teams that get called for holding all throughout the game, but rarely get the favor returned when we're on offense.

UAT got called for holding just as much as we did on Saturday. I think it's just first game gitters on the part of the players and the refs, everyone will get better as the season progresses.

Agree except the PF penalty was called on Coach Grimes not Gus. What upset me about Vern and Gary's comments: Gus does not cuss at all. Not even to his players, as this has come out in numerous player interviews. A couple (two) of assistant coaches have told me personally: "Gus does not use any foul language with anyone".

Thanks to Vern and Gary (with the entire country watching the game of the week) College Football Fans of America now think Gus cussed out an official so bad that CBS couldn't even show the replay of it, and it wasn't even Gus!

To be honest, Gus must have the patience of Job to be able to control his language while he's standing on the sideline watching his QB throw 3 INTs, his oline rack up 4-5 holding penalties, and his defense fades away in the second half. :realmad:

Agree except the PF penalty was called on Coach Grimes not Gus. What upset me about Vern and Gary's comments: Gus does not cuss at all. Not even to his players, as this has come out in numerous player interviews. A couple (two) of assistant coaches have told me personally: "Gus does not use any foul language with anyone".

Thanks to Vern and Gary (with the entire country watching the game of the week) College Football Fans of America now think Gus cussed out an official so bad that CBS couldn't even show the replay of it, and it wasn't even Gus!

My bad. I thought it was Gus who gave the ref an earful. I knew Gus was not a fan of using foul language, so that just told me that he was extremely frustrated (like I was), and finally blew it out (using some of the same language I was yelling at my TV). That really does suck, then. Gary and Verne definitely made it out that Gus was the culprit using foul language. Another reason to hate them.

To be honest, Gus must have the patience of Job to be able to control his language while he's standing on the sideline watching his QB throw 3 INTs, his oline rack up 4-5 holding penalties, and his defense fades away in the second half. :realmad:

I was never the biggest Tom Landry fan, but he said something once that really opened my eyes. Landry while being interviewed by Brent Musburger asking him how he handles all the pressure etc.... Tom Landry said: Brent, as you know, football isn't #1 in my life.

I get the feeling it is the same with Gus! How else does he do it?

Gary Danielson is freaking great at his job and the casual football fan 1) didn't know that Gus doesn't cuss, 2) already assumed that he does and 3) really doesn't give a sh**. If anybody wants to claim some sort of moral high ground because Auburn's football coach doesn't cuss, then go for it, but that's kinda hilarious.

Gary Danielson is freaking great at his job and the casual football fan 1) didn't know that Gus doesn't cuss, 2) already assumed that he does and 3) really doesn't give a sh**. If anybody wants to claim some sort of moral high ground because Auburn's football coach doesn't cuss, then go for it, but that's kinda hilarious.

Must be tough living life as angry and aggravated as you always seem to be. For that, I truly feel sorry for you.

What you are wrongly calling "moral high ground" is actually considered having class, self control and a good inner discipline among other qualities and traits you never show on this site.

WarTiger,

FYI I am on the side of the refs. Not attacking you or the refs.

It sounds like you and I agree more than you think. My poor chice of wording led readers down the path that I think it is totally unimportant. It is important, but it is not as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be. The refs are not screwing a team on purpose. There are times when calls are missed, and times when calls are made that are not really there. It has happened since the beginning of sports. it evens out in the end. It should be accepted as part of the game, not used as an excuse to why a game turned out the way it did. We do not live in a perfect world. 100% accuracy is impossible. (not saying they should not strive for 100% accuracy)

I am using "false calls" to decribe things that a ref thinks he sees, but were not really there. Not describing made up calls. According to Gus, the refs made the correct call 4 out of 5 times. One was a false call. The ref thought he saw a hold, and threw the flag. It was a false call. It happens all the time. The game continued. So NONE in response to how many false calls are made in a game is not correct.

Like you said it is impossible for 8 refs to watch 22 players. That leads to incorrect or missed calls. If making the correct call is the end all be all, every call should be made. That would lead to 20+ refs on the field.

If the official does not see it, he can not call it, and there are a lot of missed calls. Holding could be called on almost every play.

As far as ticky tacky rules at the end of the game. You can not use your opinion of wether it should be called and say that the correct call is the end all be all of officiating. As you said " We have a rule book that governs what we call". Rules are rules.

As far as backyard football, it is relevant. It shows what happens when there is no official at all.

I did not assume you think you make perfect calls. I used that to sucker you into saying it is next to impossible to call a perfect game. Mistakes are going to be made. Refs can not get all the calls correct. Fans need to accept and respect the calls that are made. Correct or not. The refs are not trying to influence the game. (I am not saying you feel refs are trying to influence the game, I am talking about a lot of the fans)

As you said, consistancy is the key. I think most refs are pretty consistant. But consistant does not equate to correct calls. It can not be both ways. You can not let a ticky tacky penalty at the end of the game slide, and say correct calls are the only thing important to being a ref. If it is in the rule book and correct calls are the only thing that matters, it needs to be called. Time left in the game and influencing the flow of the game should not be relevant. But we do not live in a perfect world.

I see this happen just about every game...... We lost to arkansas a few years ago, and our message boards blew up with fans complaining about the refs. We had 3 or 4 bad calls we say influenced the game. At the same time the Arkansas message board blew up (as they do every hog game. win or lose) with complaining about the refs. They say they had 3 or 4 bad calls againt them and the should have beat us by a lot more. What it boils down to is that fans think there there were 6-8 bad calls in that game. Mistakes may or may not have been made, but both teams fans were hating on the refs based on calls that could go either way. Take out those 6-8 "bad" calls and the result of the game is the same.

War Eagle!

QMITC

Must be tough living life as angry and aggravated as you always seem to be. For that, I truly feel sorry for you.

What you are wrongly calling "moral high ground" is actually considered having class, self control and a good inner discipline among other qualities and traits you never show on this site.

Smh

WarTiger,

FYI I am on the side of the refs. Not attacking you or the refs.

It sounds like you and I agree more than you think. My poor chice of wording led readers down the path that I think it is totally unimportant. It is important, but it is not as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be. The refs are not screwing a team on purpose. There are times when calls are missed, and times when calls are made that are not really there. It has happened since the beginning of sports. it evens out in the end. It should be accepted as part of the game, not used as an excuse to why a game turned out the way it did. We do not live in a perfect world. 100% accuracy is impossible. (not saying they should not strive for 100% accuracy)

I am using "false calls" to decribe things that a ref thinks he sees, but were not really there. Not describing made up calls. According to Gus, the refs made the correct call 4 out of 5 times. One was a false call. The ref thought he saw a hold, and threw the flag. It was a false call. It happens all the time. The game continued. So NONE in response to how many false calls are made in a game is not correct.

Like you said it is impossible for 8 refs to watch 22 players. That leads to incorrect or missed calls. If making the correct call is the end all be all, every call should be made. That would lead to 20+ refs on the field.

If the official does not see it, he can not call it, and there are a lot of missed calls. Holding could be called on almost every play.

As far as ticky tacky rules at the end of the game. You can not use your opinion of wether it should be called and say that the correct call is the end all be all of officiating. As you said " We have a rule book that governs what we call". Rules are rules.

As far as backyard football, it is relevant. It shows what happens when there is no official at all.

I did not assume you think you make perfect calls. I used that to sucker you into saying it is next to impossible to call a perfect game. Mistakes are going to be made. Refs can not get all the calls correct. Fans need to accept and respect the calls that are made. Correct or not. The refs are not trying to influence the game. (I am not saying you feel refs are trying to influence the game, I am talking about a lot of the fans)

As you said, consistancy is the key. I think most refs are pretty consistant. But consistant does not equate to correct calls. It can not be both ways. You can not let a ticky tacky penalty at the end of the game slide, and say correct calls are the only thing important to being a ref. If it is in the rule book and correct calls are the only thing that matters, it needs to be called. Time left in the game and influencing the flow of the game should not be relevant. But we do not live in a perfect world.

I see this happen just about every game...... We lost to arkansas a few years ago, and our message boards blew up with fans complaining about the refs. We had 3 or 4 bad calls we say influenced the game. At the same time the Arkansas message board blew up (as they do every hog game. win or lose) with complaining about the refs. They say they had 3 or 4 bad calls againt them and the should have beat us by a lot more. What it boils down to is that fans think there there were 6-8 bad calls in that game. Mistakes may or may not have been made, but both teams fans were hating on the refs based on calls that could go either way. Take out those 6-8 "bad" calls and the result of the game is the same.

War Eagle!

QMITC

Great googley moogley :blink:

;D

Smh

Lol. I hope that was cathartic for that person.

Archived