Doing the math....

StatTiger

Something for the coaches to point out to Mr. Johnson....biggrin.gif

Touchdowns and explosive plays are great but....

1) Auburn scored 55 TD's last season BUT.... had 315 first downs.

2) Explosive plays or impact plays are worth 3.8 points.

3) A first down is worth 1.6 points.

The key is that Malzahn's offense has averaged 22.3 first downs per game at Auburn and 9.2 explosive plays per game.

4) Malzahn's offense at Auburn averaged 69.3 offensive snaps per game.

(Plenty of time to make plays)

Since 1990 at Auburn:

60% & up conversion rate on 3rd down = 45.6 PPG and 526.4 YPG

50-59% = 34.6 PPG & 448.1 YPG

45-49% = 30.5 PPG & 428.4 YPG

40-44% = 26.2 PPG & 379.3 YPG

35-39% = 26.2 PPG & 373.4 YPG

30-34% = 25.2 PPG & 327.7 YPG

29% and under = 17.7 PPG & 284.1 YPG

You can beat them one play at a time but rarely on ONE play. Sustain drives and the big plays will come. Shoot for the impact play too often and you will have fewer snaps. Look around you and witness the overwhelming talent at your disposal. Spread the defense and spread the wealth and the game becomes easier to reach the end zone. Place more emphasis on making the right play than "THE" play. If the first downs continue to add up over the course of the game, you will see plenty of yardage and points by the final whistle.

Play hard, play smart and play within the boundaries of your abilities...

Good Luck and War Eagle!

Stat, When was the last time a Gus team was out rushed by their opponent and rushed for less than 200 yards, but still won the game like Saturday?

Great post Stat - hope you sent that to Lashlee to pass on to JJ.

Stat, When was the last time a Gus team was out rushed by their opponent and rushed for less than 200 yards, but still won the game like Saturday?

5-7 at Auburn under that scenario and the last victory prior to UL was MSU in 2013.

Gus mentioned it in his jville state presser too but the 10 ton elephant in the corner against Louisville was the short passing option to our RBs not being utilized enough by JJ. Look for JJ to be less "greedy" (as Gus put it in that presser) by letting our backfield's WR-caliber hands add to the arsenal. Jovon alert!

If he does this, those deep passes will be open more than not.

Gus mentioned it in his jville state presser too but the 10 ton elephant in the corner against Louisville was the short passing option to our RBs not being utilized enough by JJ. Look for JJ to be less "greedy" (as Gus put it in that presser) by letting our backfield's WR-caliber hands add to the arsenal. Jovon alert!

i find JJ's performace a little more concerning than some. he threw into triple coverage 2-3 times. meaning someone else on the field had to have been completely wide open and he didn't even look at them. it seemed to me on several of those throws he knew who he was going to before the ball was snapped, defense be damned.

i find JJ's performace a little more concerning than some. he threw into triple coverage 2-3 times. meaning someone else on the field had to have been completely wide open and he didn't even look at them. it seemed to me on several of those throws he knew who he was going to before the ball was snapped, defense be damned.

That's what was so concerning to me. He didn't go through any progressions he just locked on a receiver and threw it up for grabs.

I have faith in our coaching staff to work with JJ and remedy the issues we saw Saturday. everything will be fine. I hope.

"everything will be fine. I hope." gives me warm fuzzies every time. Thanks man!

on the interception that he threw in the 2nd half, he had barber standing all alone in the flat, about 10 yards downfield....that just baffled me...jj can put the clock back on the shelf, in the space he moved it from to make room for the Heisman trophy

I have faith in our coaching staff to work with JJ and remedy the issues we saw Saturday. everything will be fine. I hope.

"everything will be fine. I hope." gives me warm fuzzies every time. Thanks man!

Parade, meet rain.

Yeah, the "locked in" thing before the snap took me back to those issues we had with Kodi Burns. Almost as if there was not any room to read the defense on that play.

I think you will see a focus on working that out in the first half this week.

Archived