Tyler Queen undergoes Tommy John Surgery

JFDTiger80

I guess we know why Wallace has been taking some snaps under center. Down to 2 QBs now with Wallace as the 3rd guy up. Let's hope for no injuries.

mod note: when posting info such as this, a link is ALWAYS required

http://www.scout.com/college/auburn/story/1584218-queen-shut-down-for-the-2015-football-season

Auburn freshman quarterback Tyler Queen is on the mend after having surgery.

Shown left to right above are Sean White, Jeremy Johnson, Tyler Queen and Tucker Tuberville.

Auburn, Ala.--Tyler Queen’s focus this fall will change from practicing as a backup quarterback to recovering from surgery.

The Auburn freshman has been shut down for the season after having surgery on his right elbow.

“It was something that has kind of been bothering him during fall camp with his elbow and we just felt strongly that we needed to go ahead and get that procedure done and get him back for spring,” Coach Gus Malzahn said on Tuesday.

Jonathan Wallace will be the guy that will step up and play a little more quarterback, kind of like we talked about a couple of weeks ago,” Malzahn said.

Wallace, a senior who was the offensive captain for the opening game win vs. Louisville, will also continue to get work at wide receiver. The senior will be the No. 3 quarterback behind Jeremy Johnson and Sean White. The other healthy quarterback on the roster is walk-on Tucker Tuberville.

Wallace started four games at quarterback as a true freshman in 2012 and completed 46-80 passes for 720 yards with four touchdowns and four interceptions. He hit 2-4 passes in 2013 for 24 yards and threw one pass last season, which he completed for a 17-yard gain.

Queen was an early graduate from North Cobb High School in Suwanee, Ga., where he passed for more than 8,500 yards with 89 touchdowns. The January enrollee at Auburn went into his senior season after having problems with the elbow, but managed to throw for 2,342 yards with 27 passing touchdowns and 10 more on the ground last fall.

Malzahn’s Tigers will return to action on Saturday with their home opener scheduled for 11 a.m. CDT vs. Jacksonville State. Johnson, who played quarterback the entire game, struggled on Saturday vs. Louisville with three interceptions.

"We've talked about it," Malzahn said. "Jeremy early on made some decisions that he would like to have back, but he will correct them."

Malzahn added, "I know he's ready to get back on that practice field and get better and get ready for this Saturday."

Maybe we should've signed an extra QB last year. Maybe Lamar Jackson. We all knew that Queen was having medical problems with his arm, but we were all assured that he was fine that he just needed rest. Now our future QB is having Tommy John surgery and his arm may end up being as lifeless as Chris Todd's arm. And yeah, Chris Todd did well his last year, but Gus had to limit the playbook to accommodate for Chris's arm.

wishing him a quick and speedy recovery with his problems fixed.............

Now our future QB is having Tommy John surgery and his arm may end up being as lifeless as Chris Todd's arm. And yeah, Chris Todd did well his last year, but Gus had to limit the playbook to accommodate for Chris's arm.

1) The likelihood of Queen's arm being "lifeless" post surgery isn't very high. Most pitchers who have the surgery these days end up throwing as hard if not harder post surgery. Chris Todd had shoulder problems, which are an entirely different animal.

2) Queen ever becoming our "future QB" is highly debatable.

I guess we know why Wallace has been taking some snaps under center. Down to 2 QBs now with Wallace as the 3rd guy up. Let's hope for no injuries.

Jason Smith has an experience at QB in JUCO. No worries.

Now our future QB is having Tommy John surgery and his arm may end up being as lifeless as Chris Todd's arm. And yeah, Chris Todd did well his last year, but Gus had to limit the playbook to accommodate for Chris's arm.

1) The likelihood of Queen's arm being "lifeless" post surgery isn't very high. Most pitchers who have the surgery these days end up throwing as hard if not harder post surgery. Chris Todd had shoulder problems, which are an entirely different animal.

2) Queen ever becoming our "future QB" is highly debatable.

I have no problems with number 2. You may be right that Tommy John has came a long way but I still don't like that his throwing arm is being operated on and we chose to only take one QB last year, knowing that his arm may have to be operated on.

I don't think 3rd-string, true freshman Queen would save our season any more than successful juco QB Jason Smith or been-in-the-system senior Jonathan Wallace if our first two guys were to go down. I'm glad he's getting it done now.

He's not trying to throw a freaking breaking ball. It's the same as an outfielder having TJ surgery. This will have little to no bearing on his career trajectory. He'll be back in full practice in 9 months. That's the standard turnaround for a position player in baseball. I don't know what his future holds, but this surgery won't have any appreciable impact on it.

Was Todd's problem due to his elbow or shoulder? Thought it was his shoulder.

Chris had a bad shoulder. People have forgotten that he was a good passer. He could through the long ball accurately. He just had problems with that nagging injury,

I wonder what happened between now and when our med staff said Queen would NOT need surgery when this was first diagnosed back in the early Spring?

Trying to "rest" a partially torn UCL is simply beating around the bush: ~95% of the time surgery is going to eventually be required, you're essentially just delaying the inevitable. So what happened? Inevitability happened.

You'll see baseball players attempt to rest and play through partially torn ligaments; its just a temporary fix that will require surgery eventually. Masahiro Tanaka of the Yankees is currently pitching with a partially torn UCL.

I believe that we'd now have a split competition at QB for 3rd string between Jason Smith and J Wall. I don't have any inside info, but I would have to think that purely based on offensive style, we'd go with Jason. J Wall is one of our best blockers at WR, and having him blocking while Jason runs the read option would give us a look similar to 2013, where we place a heavy emphasis on the read option and base all other plays (play action, screens, sweeps) off of the threat of the option.

All along I kept saying we should sign 2 QB's. We didn't and look where we stand now. We are very thin at QB.

Really?

Jonathan Wallace and Jason Smith can play at QB. No worries.

Archived