Auburn's Weekly Presser - Jacksonville State

RunInRed

Jay Jacobs will be meeting with the media to discuss the Big Really Big video board. Then we'll get Malzahn and players afterward ...

Jay Jacobs

Jacobs: "We've got the largest videoboard in college football ... It's a big deal."

Around 10 a.m. Saturday, Auburn will have a "big unveiling" of the Big Really Big Board.

Jacobs: Video board, public address system, concessions and Wi-fi were biggest areas of need. All have been addressed.

Thursday at 12 p.m., the 3rd graders from Chicago will be here. They'll do a "whirlwind of things."

For the first time in 20 years, Auburn is sold out of tickets prior to the start of the season.

Cost of water has been cut in half. Cost of hot dogs (aka sandwiches) have been cut by 25 percent at JHS.

IMPORTANT: Funnel cake kiosks have multiplied at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Now 24 funnel cake kiosks. Used to be eight.

Jacobs on WSJ report: "If anybody thinks athletics has any influence on academic programs, you obviously don't know Auburn very well"

Jacobs: We're still looking at renovations for the north end zone at JHS. ... Says he just left a meeting about it this morning

Jacobs reiterates point he made at SEC spring meeting: Renovations wouldn't be adding a lot of seats, but enhancing seating already there

Jacobs says plan for backside of video board is to put LEDs up there. For now, it will be banners covering exposed steel

@AUBlog

AD Jay Jacobs says Auburn spent $2 million on the P.A. system as well as the cost for the video board

Jay Jacobs says Auburn got tickets back from Ole Miss but "other than that, we're completely sold out"

@matthewcstevens

Gus Malzahn

Malzahn: "OK, all right. We're very excited about playing our first home game" Says Jax St is more talented than some FBS teams

Malzahn: Tyler Queen had surgery today -- elbow surgery. It was bothering him during fall camp. J-Wall will step up and play some more QB

Malzahn said Queen's surgery was "similar" to Tommy John surgery

Malzahn: Jeremy "was definitely trying to make some plays downfield early" ... "We still have just as much or more confidence in Jeremy"

Malzahn expects everyone to play this week. That means Carl Lawson, Tray Matthews, Roc Thomas and Jovon Robinson.

Josh Holsey was "a little banged up" last week, but he'll be at practice today and Malzahn expects him to play Saturday

Mobile quarterbacks a concern moving forward? "That mobile quarterback was," Malzahn quips. "He was electric."

Malzahn: "We learned a lot about our team. Learned a whole lot about the young guys."

Improvements Gus Malzahn wants to see: 1. Communication up front on OL. 2. Just the little things in all positions.

Malzahn says holding issues were mostly communication issues, oversliding in protection, etc. Auburn called for 5 holds, 4 accepted.

Jason Smith "is electric," Gus says. "When he's got the ball in his hands, he can do something. ... We'll see more of Jason Smith each game"

Malzahn says J-Wall will focus more on QB than WR

Malzahn "not ready to say right now" if Peyton Barber will start at RB ... but "he's in a good spot."

Malzahn: "We want to get Kerryon involved, regardless." ... Says KJ was banged up last week

Gus: The thing I was encouraged about was (Peyton) never looked to sideline wanting to come out (in the second half). ... He wanted to play

@AUBlog

Malzahn says JSU coach John Grass "has it going on" and his success at H.S. level "speaks for itself

@matthewcstevens

Ricardo Louis

Ricardo Louis: "It was a fun time with my teammates in the Dome. We're looking to get back there for the SEC Championship."

Louis on Peyton Barber: He fit in really well. ... We needed him, and he came through

Ricardo Louis says Saturday was one of his best games at Auburn, but he's looking forward to better games.

Ricardo Louis: The video board "is definitely going to be a distraction to some people"

@AUBlog

WR Ricardo Louis on Jeremy Johnson - "going back to watch film and see the mistakes he made."

@matthewcstevens

Daniel Carlson

Carlson: "I think (the 56-yarder) will give (Malzahn) some confidence to" let Carlson boot some longer FGs

Carlson: "That was big for me to get the 1st one under my belt again" after the miss in the Outback Bowl. "It was a bonus it was a longer 1"

And we've got a follow-up wind question! Will the height of videoboard affect wind? Carlson: "I'm not smart enough to tell you"

@AUBlog

Justin Garrett

Garrett: We played good in the first half. ... We just got to stay with our responsibilities.

Garrett: He's a high-intensity guy. You can't replace a guy like Carl ... But Raashed stepped in and played well.

Garrett: Montravius always brings his A-game every game.

Garrett says his entire TD fumble return he was chatting with Tray Matthews. "He was telling me to high step and stuff"

@AUBlog

Auburn LB Justin Garrett says DC Will Muschamp "can draw it up exactly what they're doing"

Garrett says "already knew with Muschamp" anybody can lose their spot "in a practice, in a walk-through"

@matthewcstevens

Jay Jacobs

IMPORTANT: Funnel cake kiosks have multiplied at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Now 24 funnel cake kiosks. Used to be eight.

Did he really say that at the press conference?

Jethro friggin' Bodine.

Don't hate on the funnel cakes man.

Jacobs: Video board, public address system, concessions and Wi-fi were biggest areas of need. All have been addressed.

Play clock?

We spent $14M on a new video board but still can't get a decent sound system for the Press Conferences. At least they are trying to get mics to the media questions but the feedback was awful.

I sure hope no one is thinking JSU will be a push over. Believe me, they are one of the best IAA teams that you'll find.

With our size, talent and coaching staff they better be a pushover.

I sure hope no one is thinking JSU will be a push over. Believe me, they are one of the best IAA teams that you'll find.

With our size, talent and coaching staff they better be a pushover.

If we struggle with them then I'd be concerned

I actually think a4e is right. They won't be a pushover. I still think we win with relative ease (just not quite as easily as, say, San Jose State).

I'll be pretty happy if we can improve in all or most of the key areas that were lacking in the first game. That, and staying healthy, are the two biggest things (other than winning the game, obviously).

I thought the entire Jay Jacobs section was satire... It wasn't?

:no:

He mentioned the funnel cakes as super important on the radio broadcast before the Louisville game, too.

:laugh:

Archived