Jacksonville State Pregame Podcast

StatTiger

So, the answer to my question really puts our current team's inexperience into perspective.

2007 LSU was the youngest/least experienced team in the last decade to win the MNC, with 17 scholarship players with at least 20 games under their belts, and only 8 with at least 30.

The average over the decade for MNC winners was 24 players with at least 20 games and 10 with at least 30.

As you posted earlier here, this year's Auburn team is very inexperienced.

Auburn will enter the season with only 16 players with 20-games of experience and only 2 with 30 games of experience. This lack of experience could hurt the Tigers this upcoming season as the last 5 Auburn teams to have less than 20-players of 20-games of experience combined for a 33-30 record. Gus Malzahn has already commented on Auburn being a young team this season, which is always a concern for any team regardless of talent level.

So, if we do manage to pull it off and win the National Championship this season, we'd be the youngest team in at least the last 11 years to do so, and by a fairly wide margin.

That seems like a really daunting task.

But I really like a comment you made much later on in the podcast where you suggested giving JJ much smaller goals. If I recall correctly, you said each first down is worth 1.4 points. So, 5 first downs is worth a touchdown. Getting JJ to focus on getting those points in smaller increments rather than trying to win the National Championship with one throw strikes me as a great coaching move. I really hope Gus and Rhett adopt this or something similar.

Honestly, I think if JJ can focus on small goals like moving the chains -- something I actually thought both Cam Newton and Nick Marshall were really good at -- then I think he's got the talent and the talent around him to achieve that 67% completion percentage.

Thanks again, Stat, for answering all our questions. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the podcast.

AUBritt,

I should correct what I said. For the last 25 yrs of AU football, a first down is worth 1.4 pts. Under Malzahn it is 1.6. Every little bit counts.

AUBritt,

I should correct what I said. For the last 25 yrs of AU football, a first down is worth 1.4 pts. Under Malzahn it is 1.6. Every little bit counts.

Well, that's even more incentive for JJ to focus on moving the chains!

Archived