Helping those who helped us

Mims44

Been watching some of those John Oliver videos since the last one was posted here. Some are straight silly, but this one is good.

People whose lives are now in danger because they spent the last X amount of years helping American forces should be protected.

My terp which was born in Kabul Afghanistan is currently smoking dope in Colorado. I know this because I am friends with him on Facebook. I am glad he finally made it to America though because he said every unit he worked for promised had a commander that promised to help him get to America but none ever did.

It's embarrassing that we aren't helping them.

And now that it's known that we don't help, we are less likely to receive their help in the future.

I don't think it is embarrassing. They helped us. Sure. But they received room and board in a segregated compound that was within my compound. They also received food, Great pay for their environment, and two one week vacations a year so that they could go back to their hometown. Sure, it was a job that required them to risk their life, but that was something they agreed upon beforehand.

I think the safety factor after NATO leaves was a bit overblown in my opinion. They will keep seeking the opportunities to become a linguist for NATO. If anything, we would probably turn down a linguist before they turn down us. Te advantages of having local terps are that they know the area, but the bad is that you don't know if the interpreter is a wolf in sheep clothing. There is a lot of trade off and unease wither way. But for some commanders, they would rather have a category 2 contract linguist, which is more than likely a bilingual American with a secret clearance.

Archived