Question about JJ running

Deckhead

I'm actually hoping it's been on purpose not to run him yet and we're going to surprise some people

So am I, Cole. I mentioned that in the postgame thread. Maybe he'll run all over LSU.

I'm actually hoping it's been on purpose not to run him yet and we're going to surprise some people

I'd like to see us open up the Read Option again. Judging by JJ's ability to read the coverages, maybe the coaches don't have faith in his ability to read the DE. So they call it but don't let him read it.

Uh what makes you think we are holding JJ back? He has yet to show that he can scramble, elude pressure, or throw effectively on the run. What we've seen is what we have

I'd like to see us open up the Read Option again. Judging by JJ's ability to read the coverages, maybe the coaches don't have faith in his ability to read the DE. So they call it but don't let him read it.

Heck, even I could read the DE.

Heck, even I could read the DE.

... well ther's always basketball

Uh what makes you think we are holding JJ back? He has yet to show that he can scramble, elude pressure, or throw effectively on the run. What we've seen is what we have

This!

No one is holding JJ back right now. We went to OT vs freaking JSU for crying out loud. JJ can't read coverages, he can't run the ball, and he is a liability in the passing game. I'm baffled with Gus and Rhett right now, this offense is not effective.

but none of that has anything to do with executing the zone read. It's quite possible the coaches have not called this to keep something new for lsu. Not definite but possible.

so far i am starting to beleive that gus's offense needs a dual threat qb. i think we need to have another qb ready to go against lsu if johnson starts out bad. barber needs to be our running back the majority of the time

I would guess that we have not been running a true read running game and that the "options" have been predetermined by the coaches. JJ doesn't seem to ride the mesh point (I think that is the proper lingo) nearly as long as I would assume is necessary to make the read. But what the heck do I know ...

but none of that has anything to do with executing the zone read. It's quite possible the coaches have not called this to keep something new for lsu. Not definite but possible.

I hope you are right... our offense is definitely harder to defend and works better with the threat of a running quarterback...

Other thing... Peyton is the key, we need to make first downs... be able to drive the ball and NOT just rely on big plays, they will come.

You knew Cam would convert when we needed it... and Mason was a 3rd and 4th down converting machine... Cam had dyer to offset his threat... and Mason had Marshall as a threat... to give other teams something to think about.

Either JJ becomes at least a threat to run (doesn't have to be a world beater, but Peyton can't do it all against the better teams) or they will stuff Peyton and force throws...

get Peyton a bit of help/ dual threat running the ball and might just be Mason 2.0.... and the passing game will open up more too.

The Quarterback position obviously has to make better decisions. But the Play calling and game planning has to adjust to what we have to work with and quickly... game management and stop shooting ourselves in the foot.

What good is it to have all the talented skill players if you can't get the ball to them in space...

I know most of this stuff is obvious and we all see some problems, but I still think this team has a lot of young talent that needs to step up... I just hope the coaches can make some real changes / adjustments in one week for LSU and have a great game plan the players can execute.

so far i am starting to beleive that gus's offense needs a dual threat qb. i think we need to have another qb ready to go against lsu if johnson starts out bad. barber needs to be our running back the majority of the time

I don't believe that, I just think it requires a quality Passer if the qb can't run. So far JJ is not that.

I am just lost on where the qb went that looked very solid if not excellent in both his freshman and sophomore season.

I don't believe that, I just think it requires a quality Passer if the qb can't run. So far JJ is not that.

I am just lost on where the qb went that looked very solid if not excellent in both his freshman and sophomore season.

He played meaningless, pressure-less minutes before this season. A few of us tried to point that out. Even we didn't see him being this bad, though.

And when he runs, he either gets 0 yards or forgets where the 1st down marker is. He can physically accomplish taking snaps, handing off, running and passing, but is not engaging the brain.

I said the same thing to my sister... I asked where is the JJ we've seen the past two years?

Archived