Malzahn's Post Game Presser - Jacksonville State

RunInRed

So to some of you the season is already over, Gus is overrated, JJ sucks, AU has no RBS or LBS, Lashlee is dead weight, team morale is low, Gus can't call plays, team chemistry is lacking, all of this and the team is 2-0.....I would hate to see some of you if it was 0-2, the AU Family servers may implode.

Would be a meltdown for sure ....but then again.....AU was favored by 11 and 40+ points in our opening games.....so, to be 2-0 is a pretty modest accomplishment it seems.

These early games often give us some indication of what's to come.........but the old adage about making the biggest step forward between game #1 and game #2 .....well that's open to debate too I guess......nonetheless, that is what bothers many of us.

The coaches have an opportunity to put the JSU game behind then....but it's going to take a totally different "team" in Baton Rouge.

The coaches have out both these games behind them I am sure of that....the fanatics are the ones who can't let go...

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So to some of you the season is already over, Gus is overrated, JJ sucks, AU has no RBS or LBS, Lashlee is dead weight, team morale is low, Gus can't call plays, team chemistry is lacking, all of this and the team is 2-0.....I would hate to see some of you if it was 0-2, the AU Family servers may implode.

Would be a meltdown for sure ....but then again.....AU was favored by 11 and 40+ points in our opening games.....so, to be 2-0 is a pretty modest accomplishment it seems.

These early games often give us some indication of what's to come.........but the old adage about making the biggest step forward between game #1 and game #2 .....well that's open to debate too I guess......nonetheless, that is what bothers many of us.

The coaches have an opportunity to put the JSU game behind then....but it's going to take a totally different "team" in Baton Rouge.

The coaches have out both these games behind them I am sure of that....the fanatics are the ones who can't let go...

The coaches would be monumentally stupid to have already put these 2 games behind them. They'd better be doing some very serious soul-searching and self-evaluating if they hope to have a successful season.

If we can get Lashlee to stop calling any plays that would be a good start. We have a proven awesome play caller on the sideline and he's allowing Lashlee to make calls. The whole point of having Gus is so Gus can call the plays. Lashlee might actually not even be qualified to coach QBs at this level yet, let alone call the offense. QBs at AU under his watch have not developed at the normal rate and having a kid for 2+ years to have such poor decision making makes me wonder what is going on in the QB meeting rooms. Marshall, while did not show this level of poor QB IQ, did not make the best decisions a lot of the time. Even the hail mary to Ricardo was literally the dumbest thing he could've done on the play. I'm beginning to think accountability is not something this offensive staff preaches.

The coaches would be monumentally stupid to have already put these 2 games behind them. They'd better be doing some very serious soul-searching and self-evaluating if they hope to have a successful season.

So they should dwell and gripe on two games they won or should they be preparing for LSU...? Film study and cleaning up execution issues from the first two games make sense but to still be worried about two wins at the expense of prep work for LSU does not make any sense coach.

I don't understand the 11 AM comments

Nick Marshall demolished Tennessee after halftime

So now you are a Nick Marshall fan? You hated him last season.

Uh, no...I didn't. I just believed with the obvious passing advantage we had and the clear deficiencies in run blocking and the read option that Jeremy would've been the better option. And there was other individuals who thought exactly like that. Everything up until then was set for you to think like that. Jeremy could hit open receivers on every level.

To spout false things like I hated Marshall is wrong. He was a great QB and would've had NFL potential if he went to Whitfield over the summer.

Oh I see, so now you like Nick Marshall after ripping him all of last season, and it was not going to Whifield that made him a D Back instead of QB. So I am sure that Jacksonville will be sending him to Whitfield in the off season and that will make him a great NFL QB. Surprised they didn't send him right after they drafted him.

So they should dwell and gripe on two games they won or should they be preparing for LSU...? Film study and cleaning up execution issues from the first two games make sense but to still be worried about two wins at the expense of prep work for LSU does not make any sense coach.

I don't remember using either "dwell" or "gripe".

^Nor did you say "at the expense of". I agree, chimes. Some of these kids need some come to Jesusin', but some of these coaches might need it first.

We need halftime of the 2013 LSU game to happen right now. They went into that locker room one team and came out another. It can happen.

^^This...ALL of this!

If we can get Lashlee to stop calling any plays that would be a good start. We have a proven awesome play caller on the sideline and he's allowing Lashlee to make calls. The whole point of having Gus is so Gus can call the plays. Lashlee might actually not even be qualified to coach QBs at this level yet, let alone call the offense. QBs at AU under his watch have not developed at the normal rate and having a kid for 2+ years to have such poor decision making makes me wonder what is going on in the QB meeting rooms. Marshall, while did not show this level of poor QB IQ, did not make the best decisions a lot of the time. Even the hail mary to Ricardo was literally the dumbest thing he could've done on the play. I'm beginning to think accountability is not something this offensive staff preaches.

I'm all for this suggestion. It will also help cut down on the communication issues on offense and speed plays up.

^^This...ALL of this!

Don't understand how y'all can look at our record like it exists in a vacuum. We've played like dogs**t so far, as evidenced by our major drop in the polls.

I'm surprised this thread is still going. No one seems to be saying anything that hasn't already been said in the first ten pages. The only thing new is name calling and tough guys. I get venting and discussion, but come on now. FWIW, I'll withhold judgement until LSU AND state, especially with state being a home game at night. Two games is too small a sample size for me. Besides, those are quality opponents and quality kick offs that they will be pumped to play. If they come out sucking again then I will truly be at a loss for words and explanation

^^This...ALL of this!

Don't understand how y'all can look at our record like it exists in a vacuum. We've played like dogs**t so far, as evidenced by our major drop in the polls.

At this point the polls in regard to championships is meaningless. The team has not played up to its full potential but has done enough to win. Get it together this weekend vs LSU should be the focus ...the polls are the last thing this team needs to be worried about.

There's really no question about him being overrated. This is Malzahn's put up or shut up year. If they underachieve, he should be on the hot seat. We can't keep saying that a team that's constantly in the top 10 in recruiting doesn't have the personnel on the field to get the job done or players need time to develop. Surely, if Alabama can have tons of turnover and still dominate the college football landscape, so should Auburn.

^^This...ALL of this!

Not ignoring anything but at the same time until the wheels actually fall completely off the Gus bus...i'll chose to try to remain hopeful. There is still hope.

^^This...ALL of this!

At this point the polls in regard to championships is meaningless. The team has not played up to its full potential but has done enough to win. Get it together this weekend vs LSU should be the focus ...the polls are the last thing this team needs to be worried about.

When did I ever say that the team needed to be worried about the polls? You are the master of putting words in someone else's mouth. I'm using the polls to illustrate that winning 2 games doesn't necessarily mean all is well. Auburn has looked BAD and everyone sees it but a few on this board.

I'm trying to stay positive but there is just no excusing an overtime win against an FCS opponent. History in college football tells us these are not one off performances but usually a sign of things to come. I will continue watching and supporting the Tigers but I am trying to be realistic also knowing how this probably ends for us.

Im for keeping Gus and Muschamp as long as we can. Gus has gotten us to two champioships and there is no denying Muschamp as a great Defensive coordinator.

^^This...ALL of this!

When did I ever say that the team needed to be worried about the polls? You are the master of putting words in someone else's mouth. I'm using the polls to illustrate that winning 2 games doesn't necessarily mean all is well. Auburn has looked BAD and everyone sees it but a few on this board.

You did not say it...I did. Had nothing to do with your viewpoint. The team has not played up to its potential, I agree. But it's so early now that the polls are irrelevant. Auburn needs to focus on itself right now, get ahold of the turnovers, get an offensive rhythm, get healthy on defense, and play with more passion. The wheels have not fallen off (my words) Beat the teams ahead of them and they will move back up in the polls. I just ain't ready to join the torch and pitch fork crowd yet....all the pundits and talking heads said the start of the season would be vs LSU anyway so this weekend will tell us all a lot more than what we think we know.

^^This...ALL of this!

You did not say it...I did. Had nothing to do with your viewpoint. The team has not played up to its potential, I agree. But it's so early now that the polls are irrelevant. Auburn needs to focus on itself right now, get ahold of the turnovers, get an offensive rhythm, get healthy on defense, and play with more passion. The wheels have not fallen off (my words) Beat the teams ahead of them and they will move back up in the polls. I just ain't ready to join the torch and pitch fork crowd yet....all the pundits and talking heads said the start of the season would be vs LSU anyway so this weekend will tell us all a lot more than what we think we know.

Probably the most rational, level-headed post I've ever seen you make.

If one player is the difference between a good and horrible defense, we are screwed regardless if he returns.

Nope.

If one player is the difference between a good and horrible defense, we are screwed unless he returns.

;)

It's pretty bad that everyone is so ready to fire Lashlee. We have had one of the best offenses in Auburn history the last two years. Just because we looked bad for 2 games, we should scrap the best system most have ever seen at AU? Absolutely ludicrous. Sure there may need to be some tweaks this year, but I can guarantee we will see a whole different game plan for the next two games and then it will evolve again after that. It kills me how short memories are around here. We have done this every year Gus has run our O. It always looks vanilla early and evolves into what works. Gus and Rhett will be fine. We may or may not need to change qbs, but either way the O will get it together.

It's pretty bad that everyone is so ready to fire Lashlee. We have had one of the best offenses in Auburn history the last two years. Just because we looked bad for 2 games, we should scrap the best system most have ever seen at AU? Absolutely ludicrous. Sure there may need to be some tweaks this year, but I can guarantee we will see a whole different game plan for the next two games and then it will evolve again after that. It kills me how short memories are around here. We have done this every year Gus has run our O. It always looks vanilla early and evolves into what works. Gus and Rhett will be fine. We may or may not need to change qbs, but either way the O will get it together.

Trust me, we haven't been successful because of Lashlee... In fact he has played zero (yes zero) part in the success of this offense! This is Gus' O, plan and simple.

And I agree, Lashlee is dead weight. I've seen him at practices, and he is not hands on like an OC should be. He doesn't have the repor with his players that the position requires. He doesn't call plays. He is not in charge of game prep. He can't recruit. Lashlee is nothing more than a microphone for Gus. It is an important role for sure, but anyone can do it. Remember, it's Gus' offense.

My problem with Rhett is that Rhett has no business coaching our QB's. Having him responsibe for teaching technique and fundementals to our quarterbacks, just leaves me shaking my head.

I knew Gus was going to hire Rhett when he accepted the AU job... but I was against it then, and I'm still against it now.

For gosh's sake, we have an NFL quarterback on staff... a man that has coached not 1, not 2, but 3 1st round draft picks!!! That's who should be leading our QB's! End of story!

So yes, Lashlee is dead weight... I'm not saying fire the guy, but I he's definitely out of position, for sure.

Uh, no...I didn't. I just believed with the obvious passing advantage we had and the clear deficiencies in run blocking and the read option that Jeremy would've been the better option. And there was other individuals who thought exactly like that. Everything up until then was set for you to think like that. Jeremy could hit open receivers on every level.

To spout false things like I hated Marshall is wrong. He was a great QB and would've had NFL potential if he went to Whitfield over the summer.

Oh I see, so now you like Nick Marshall after ripping him all of last season, and it was not going to Whifield that made him a D Back instead of QB. So I am sure that Jacksonville will be sending him to Whitfield in the off season and that will make him a great NFL QB. Surprised they didn't send him right after they drafted him.

We had 13 games last season where Marshall played, you show me 13 quotes from each game, I'll pretend like your point is semi-valid. The actual truth is how I explained it though. And Whitfield could've shown him how to actually improve as a passer instead of whatever the hell Rhett teaches these guys. That's kinda why Whitfield is known as a QB guru, and Rhett lost his background of any sort once he turned Jeremy into Kiehl 2.0.

We had 13 games last season where Marshall played, you show me 13 quotes from each game, I'll pretend like your point is semi-valid. The actual truth is how I explained it though. And Whitfield could've shown him how to actually improve as a passer instead of whatever the hell Rhett teaches these guys. That's kinda why Whitfield is known as a QB guru, and Rhett lost his background of any sort once he turned Jeremy into Kiehl 2.0.

The crowd in West Vance would love to have you. You would fit right in.

Trust me, we haven't been successful because of Lashlee... In fact he has played zero (yes zero) part in the success of this offense! This is Gus' O, plan and simple.

And I agree, Lashlee is dead weight. I've seen him at practices, and he is not hands on like an OC should be. He doesn't have the repor with his players that the position requires. He doesn't call plays. He is not in charge of game prep. He can't recruit. Lashlee is nothing more than a microphone for Gus. It is an important role for sure, but anyone can do it. Remember, it's Gus' offense.

My problem with Rhett is that Rhett has no business coaching our QB's. Having him responsibe for teaching technique and fundementals to our quarterbacks, just leaves me shaking my head.

I knew Gus was going to hire Rhett when he accepted the AU job... but I was against it then, and I'm still against it now.

For gosh's sake, we have an NFL quarterback on staff... a man that has coached not 1, not 2, but 3 1st round draft picks!!! That's who should be leading our QB's! End of story!

So yes, Lashlee is dead weight... I'm not saying fire the guy, but I he's definitely out of position, for sure.

I'm sure Lashlee plays an important role in Gus' system or he wouldn't have kept him attached to his hip since the guy played QB for Gus in high school. I don't know what value Lashlee brings to the table other than a sounding board and a second set of eyes for Gus. And I hate to say it, but Gus is an idiot if he hasn't been utilizing Craig's experience and expertise with our QB's.

Archived